|Feudal Status:||Imperial State|
|Largest Cities:||Ardashirshahr, Anun, Avaldsnes, Caligae, Eliria, Fjǫrleifsbýur, Rǫvarsbýur|
|Local Leadership Title:||King of Elwynn|
|Local Government:||Absolute Monarchy|
|Current leader:||Thorstein Noah Ayreon-Kalirion and Ettlingar Freyu|
|Local language:||Common Tongue, Elwynnese Languages|
|Local Religion:||Bovic Faith, Froyalanish Ancient Ways, Holy Church of the Divine Icebear, Treesian Unorthodoxy, Zurvanism,|
Elwynn is the traditional name of the Benacian lands which are situated between the two arms of the River Elwynn before they merge at Shirekeep. The name Elwynn comes from a goddess with the same name who originally hailed from the Treesian pantheon. Elwynn is nowadays an Imperial State of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth and the style and name of its body politic is Elwynnese Union. It is noted for its violent and complex history, its significant minority populations, and for its long period of independence from direct Imperial control.
Elwynn has a diverse geography. The country boasts grand deserts and magnificent mountains as well as beautiful rivers, wondrous lakes, endless grasslands and marvelous forests.
Between 1562 and 1612, Elwynn was ruled as a oligarchic republic by an elected Prince. After the communist revolution the Senate, which had been the mainstay of the republican government, collapsed utterly and was swept away by the Ayreon-Kalirion Restoration, also known as the Nathanielian Restoration, after 1618 which introduced a new constitution with an absolutist form of monarchical government.
See Elw language for more details.
Elw is the language of the indigenous eponymous ethnic group that comprises the largest segment of the population. Owing to the significant ethno-cultural diversity of the immigrant and regional populations of Elwynn there are a great variety of other languages spoken within the Elwynnese Union, these include Babkhi and Kalasperin, Farewellish, Froyalanish and Wintergleamish as well as various Norse dialects.
The Common Tongue serves the necessary purpose of a lingua franca for government business, commerce and day to day living.
Due to the tremendous ethno-cultural diversity of the immigrant and regional populations of Elwynn there at present isn't a thing like a single Elwynnese culture, although the Royal Government of Elwynn is in the process of boosting and bolstering Elwynn's Societal Harmony by actively promoting an overarching national culture, among others through the Elwynnese Commons, centered around the Goddess Elwynn, the exploits of the three Great Leaders of the Days of Yore - Richard, Harald and Ardashir - and the Ayreon-Kalirion and Ettlingar Freyu Monarchy.
Names of Elwynn
Elwynn has acquired a variety of names over the course of its existence owing not only to the variety of peoples that call it home but also to the tendency of some ethno-cultural groups, particularly the Froyalanish, to bestow extravagant poetic and attributive names upon their homeland. This is not an exhaustive list:
- Coast to Coast Kingdom: The aforesaid name refers to Elwynn nowadays, after the acquisition of the Furthest of the Far West, being a monarchy of which the lands stretch out from the east coast to the west coast of the continent of Benacia;
- Elwin: Elwynn's name in ancient Hurmumol;
- Elwynn's Backyard;
- Elwynnese Empire;
- Flower of the North: The name Flower of the North alludes to both the White Orchid Goddess and to Elwynn's geographical location as nothernmost of Shireroth's original three duchies;
- Froyalan: An old name of the Duchy of Elwynn. It was the Duchy's name during the Ducal Reign of Harald of Froyalan (1533-1542);
- Froyarike: another name for Froyalan;
- Jewel of Many Facets;
- Joijnie d'l'Elwyjn: This name means "Elwynnese Union" in old Amokolian;
- Land between the Rivers;
- Lands of Elwyna;
- Land of the Misty Cloud: This name refers to the magical cloud from which the Goddess Elwynn ofttimes looks upon Her namesake realm from the beyond the stratospheres;
- Land of the Tempest Loud: This name alludes to the strained relationship Elwynn so often has had with the Imperial Government in Shirekeep;
- Lands of the Two Sacred Rivers: This name gives account to the River Elywnn, with its two branches that flow through Elwynn, the Blue Elwynn and the White Elwynn;
- Lirikoth: This name means Elwynn in Hyperborean;
- Northshire: The Duchy of Elwynn was intially known as the Duchy of Northshire, deriving its name from a fortified pale (area enclosed by a palisade) around Shirekeep, which is not to be confused with the village of the same name;
- Riverine Realm: A name for Elwynn often used by the King of Elwynn in Royal parlance and writings.
During the independence era, independent Elwynn was often called West Elwynn, and the Shirerithian Duchy of Elwynn was called East Elwynn. However, for political reasons, independentist Elwynn termed the East "Feudal Elwynn" and itself as Free Elwynn. East Elwynnese authorities called the West Lirikoth Moivaster ("Elwynn that has strayed") or simply "The Eliria Clique".