|Feudal Status:||Imperial State|
|Largest Cities:||Ardashirshahr, Anun, Caligae, Eliria, Fjǫrleifsbýur, Rǫvarsbýur|
|Local Leadership Title:||Prince|
|Local language:|| Præta Sxiróþes|
|Local Religion:|| Bovic Faith|
Holy Church of the Divine Icebear
Elwynn is the traditional name of the Benacian lands which are situated between the two arms of the River Elwynn before they merge at Shirekeep. The name Elwynn comes from a goddess with the same name who originally hailed from the Treesian pantheon. Elwynn is nowadays an Imperial State of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth and the style and name of its body politic is Elwynnese Union. It is noted for its violent and complex history, its significant minority populations, and for its long period of independence from direct Imperial control. Current official name: Elwynnese Republic
Elwynn has a diverse geography. The country boasts grand deserts and magnificent mountains as well as beautiful rivers, wondrous lakes, endless grasslands and marvelous forests.
See also: Duchy of Elwynn
See also: History of Elwynn
See also: The Modern History of Elwynn
Between 1562 and 1612, Elwynn was ruled as a oligarchic republic by an elected Prince. After the communist revolution the Senate, which had been the mainstay of the republican government, collapsed utterly and was swept away by the Ayreon-Kalirion Restoration, also known as the Nathanielian Restoration, after 1618 which introduced a new constitution with an absolutist form of monarchical government.
After the end of the Froyalan era, Elwynn reorganized itself as the Elwynnese Republic with a new constitution.
See Elw language for more details.
Elw is the language of the indigenous eponymous ethnic group that comprises the largest segment of the population. Owing to the significant ethno-cultural diversity of the immigrant and regional populations of Elwynn there are a great variety of other languages spoken within the Elwynnese Union, these include Babkhi and Kalasperin, Farewellish, and Wintergleamish as well as various Norse dialects.
The Common Tongue serves the necessary purpose of a lingua franca for government business, commerce and day to day living.
It's all over the place man.
Names of Elwynn
Elwynn has acquired a variety of names over the course of its existence owing not only to the variety of peoples that call it home.:
- Flower of the North: The name Flower of the North alludes to both the White Orchid Goddess and to Elwynn's geographical location as nothernmost of Shireroth's original three duchies;
- Joijnie d'l'Elwyjn: This name means "Elwynnese Union" in old Amokolian;
- Lands of the Two Sacred Rivers: This name gives account to the River Elywnn, with its two branches that flow through Elwynn, the Blue Elwynn and the White Elwynn;
- Lirikoth: This name means Elwynn in Hyperborean;
- Northshire: The Duchy of Elwynn was intially known as the Duchy of Northshire, deriving its name from a fortified pale (area enclosed by a palisade) around Shirekeep, which is not to be confused with the village of the same name;
During the independence era, independent Elwynn was often called West Elwynn, and the Shirerithian Duchy of Elwynn was called East Elwynn. However, for political reasons, independentist Elwynn termed the East "Feudal Elwynn" and itself as Free Elwynn. East Elwynnese authorities called the West Lirikoth Moivaster ("Elwynn that has strayed") or simply "The Eliria Clique".