|Feudal Status:||Imperial State|
|Local Leadership Title:||Count Palatine of Kezan|
|Local Government:||Dynastic Autocracy|
|Current leader:||Mira Octavius-Aryani|
|Local language:||Antican English|
|Local Religion:||Holodomatic School, minor Antican sects, Christianity|
Kezan, also known as the County Palatine of Kezan is an Imperial State of Shireroth, consisting of two islands, Eleutherios and Akis, as well as a number of islets, sandbars, and artificial structures going 24 nautical miles outward from the coastline of the two main islands. Population is (1656) 2,027,121 of which 264,407 are citizens. There are no loyal subjects or community servitors resident in Kezan.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 History of the Islands
- 3 Geography
- 4 Government
- 5 Education
- 6 Culture
- 7 Economy
- 8 Demographics
The name Kezan derives from Fort Kezan, the comital seat. Ft. Kezan was founded as Overseas Operating Base (OOB) Kezan by the Second Antican Republic to act as a forward military position during the Shiro-Elwynnese Conflict. OOB Kezan was itself named in honor of the code name used during Operation Light Blue Octopus, its ultimate etymology being unclear.
The main island of the County Palatine, Eleutherios, was assigned this name by Anticans when drawing up maps, naming it after their republican principle of "liberty". The minor island, Akis, was named after an old colloquialism for a child, derived from the patronymic suffix -akis.
The two islands' names before Antican occupation were Sunderney and Ardholm, respectively. These names remained in common use among the locals until the islands were settled heavily by Antican refugees.
History of the Islands
Second through Fourth Eras
During the Third Era, the islands came under a quick succession of various states: the Empire of Shenzhou, the Republic of Kappitolya, Alteria, and the Empire of Norona. During the Fourth Age, Norona became absorbed by the Holzer Empire before it endured a period of decline and were themselves absorbed by the Bovic Empire of Natopia.
After asserting their independence from Natopia, Holzborg collapsed and the islands fell back on self-rule.
During the Fifth Era, the Second Antican Republic took control of the islands and established Overseas Operations Base Kezan in the western part of Sunderney, which they renamed Eleutherios. This was during the greater Shiro-Elwynnese conflict, in which it would act as a forward position against Shireroth. Beyond OOB Kezan and some settlement in the eastern port town, Anticans left the islands to its inhabitants, a sparse network of farming and fishing villages.
In 4915 ASC, the Second Antican Republic abruptly collapsed as a result of the hijacking of Antica's autonomous weapons systems and nuclear arsenal. Much of Mainland Antica was irradiated and millions dispersed in the Antican Diaspora. Of the surviving post-Antican states, Aryasht integrated itself into Shireroth, while Albion and Kaikias-Overseas attempted to maintain order before themselves falling as well.
Founding of the County Palatine
In 5089 ASC, Kaiser Aiomide, of mixed Antican and Elwynnese parentage, refounded House Octavius as a noble house in Shireroth and organized the islands of Eleutherios and Akis into the County Palatine of Kezan to act as its seat.
During the formative period of the County Palatine, Kaikias-Overseas completed its collapse, adding to the Antican Diaspora. Many displaced Kaikian Anticans were resettled in Kezan under the promise that House Octavius would uphold traditional Antican rights.
Court of the Count Palatine
The Court of the Count Palatine acts as the institutional embodiment of the Count Palatine's executive, legislative, and judicial authorities. It is composed of three bodies: The Executive Council, the Ministry of State, and The Household Agency.
The Executive Council advises the Count Palatine directly on matters of policy and lawmaking, usually helping to draft and determine the details for legislation that the Count Palatine accepts by affixing their signature.
See: Comital Decrees
The Executive Council also maintains a set of commissions tasked with informing it on petitions from residents and local authorities, requests for the exercise of the prerogative of mercy, and instances of corruption found within the central court or in local government. Beyond these standing commissions, additional commissions may be created for the purpose of analyzing an issue in depth and providing recommended solutions.
Ministry of State
The Ministry of State is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the various central administrative agencies of the County Palatine. It regularly advises the Executive Council on county and overseas activities. The Ministry of State organizes these agencies into supervisory bureaus:
- Coordinating Bureau
- Office for the Minister of State: immediate staff for the Minister of State
- Office for Conciliar Support: immediate staff and record-keeping for the Executive Council
- Office for Bureau Coordination: renders operational directives into detailed plans for distribution to the appropriate bureaus
- Office for Ward Coordination: supervision of local governing agencies
- Office of Personnel: Human Resources for the Ministry of State, management of Civil Service Exams
- Education Bureau
- Office for Educational Standards: sets educational benchmarks and supervises compulsory educational facilities
- Management of upper-tier educational facilities
- Management of scientific and research facilities
- Investment in culture and arts
- Public broadcasting of news and entertainment
- Environmental Management Bureau
- Ecological conservation programs
- Management of investments in island and territorial waters ecology
- Supervision of local waste management agencies
- External Affairs Bureau
- Office for Immigration: processes applications for residential status
- Office of Visitations: processes applications for Visitor Identity Documents
- Office for Coordinating Economics and Culture: supervises Economic and Cultural Offices in non-Kezanese territories, management of external trade relations
- Communication with external Imperial Republican agencies and polities
- Co-administration of the Liberty of Akis (shared with Militia Bureau)
- Health Bureau
- Food hygiene regulation
- Human environment hygiene regulation
- Supervision of local and regional medical service agencies
- Information Bureau
- Office for Household Registration: issues and maintains household registries and individual resident registries; processes applications for naturalization
- Management of network pipelines
- Postal and delivery services
- Supervision and centralized backup of local records
- Infrastructure Bureau
- Power Management Office: manages energy production and distribution
- Management of centralized utility grid
- Management of transportation systems
- Supervision of local housing agencies
- Supervision of local civic facilities agencies
- Militia Bureau
- Supply Office: resource management for the Kezan Militia and for emergency storage installations
- Supply and administration services for Kezan Militia units
- Maintenance of defensive structures and fixed defense positions
- Co-administration of the Liberty of Akis (shared with External Affairs Bureau)
- Supply and maintenance of MoMA Station
- Production Bureau
- Regulation of internal economy
- Management of regional and county-wide economic programs
- Supervision of local industrial production
- Supervision of local agricultural production
- Supervision of local resource extraction
- Security Bureau
- Civil Protection Office: supervises the maintenance of emergency shelters and installations for storing and coordinating emergency resources
- Crisis Response Service (Fire & Rescue)
- County Patrol Service (Law Enforcement)
- Maritime Patrol Service (Coast Guard)
- Civil Protection & Disaster Support
The Household Agency is a non-governing agency responsible for maintaining the properties in possession of House Octavius and to provide services and security for members of House Octavius.
The primary unit of local government in the County Palatine are its 53 Wards. The wards are responsible for administering and providing local services, such as dissemination of news and entertainment, education, infrastructure, safety, telecommunications, and utilities.
These 53 wards are organized into five Honours: Aryani, Adelaidini, Leilani, Parini, and Teleni. The Honour Court grants resource-use leases and acts as a court of equity and appeals as well as provides oversight for the wards.
The remainder of the County Palatine consists of the City of Idassa and the Liberties of Ft. Kezan and Akis. The City is self-administered, provides all local services as well as its own courts of equity and appeals, and is organized into four quarters. The Liberties are each administered directly by the Court of the Count Palatine.
The Kezan Militia (KM) is the defensive organ of the comital government, tasked with providing defense for the territory and its population. The KM is one of two primary options for national service within the County Palatine, the other is Civil Protection. As such, the KM is a conscript military force. The bulk of KM personnel are Kezanese Nationals in reserve status, with active personnel divided between those fulfilling their service obligation and "careers", who maintain the defensive apparatus.
KM Headquarters is located at Central Fortress in the Liberty of Ft. Kezan. The Chief of Staff is Commandant Isidora Octavius-Teleni. Operations and deployments are organized into four Command formations:
- Northern Command: ground-based elements assigned to Coastal Sectors I through IV and the northwestern interior
- Southern Command: ground-based elements assigned to Coastal Sectors V through VIII and the southeastern interior
- Air Command: air-based elements, support of ISAF THAAD batteries
- Entrypoint Akis/Maritime Command: Coast Guard, management of MoMA Station Akis
Weaponry consist of a mixture of arms purchased from overseas (universally from Shirerithian firms) or manufactured locally by such companies as GAM (formerly Geine Arms Manufacturers) and the Todorruhe Concern, both of whom license and manufacture modified versions of Assayers Armaments and Royal Ordnance Factory Lichkeep.
The Education Bureau of the Ministry of State is responsible for the educational standards, methods, and policies for all educational institutions within the County Palatine of Kezan. Education is compulsory between ages 6 and 15. Nursery schools operate locally and are certified to operate by their local government.
Primary and Secondary schools are ran by the local government. In all cases, there are multiple primary schools in each ward, distributed in such a way as to best fit the needs of the community. With few exceptions, each ward operates a single Academy and Technical School, usually located at or near the population center. Tertiary education is administered by the Intercollegial Partnership under the Education Bureau, except for the College of Our Lady Erganē, which is an independent institution.
Due to the Service Obligation, an interruption of two years can be expected at any point following Primary School, which is compulsory for all children between ages 6 and 15. Ward-certified nursery schools for children below age 6 are used by 82% of the population, with the remainder cared at home or in unofficial and unfunded community groups.
Beyond compulsory education, entry is precipitated by an entrance examination, so changes between academic pathways are available to those who can demonstrate aptitude in prerequisite skills.
|< 6|| Nursery School|
development of social skills and group awareness
preparation for compulsory education
|6–7||Juniors 1 (1)|| Primary School|
Compulsory. No entry requirements.
Language Studies, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science
housekeeping, health and physical fitness, arts and crafts, moral and civic foundation
|7–8||Juniors 2 (2)|
|8–9||Juniors 3 (3)|
|9–10||Middles 1 (4)|
|10–11||Middles 2 (5)|
|11–12||Middles 3 (6)|
|12–13||Seniors 1 (7)|
|13–14||Seniors 2 (8)|
|14–15||Seniors 3 (9)|
|15-16||1 (10)|| Academy
| Technical College|
|18-19||Associate|| Medical College
BMBS, BDS, BVMS, BPharm
BA, BSc, BEd, BCL
| Technical College|
|20-21||Bachelor|| Technical College|
|21-22||Master|| Medical College
MMed, MSurg, MVS, MN, MDS
MA, MSc, MEd, MCL
|23-24||Doctor|| Medical College
PhD, JD, DEng
A regular element of student life, especially at the Primary School level, is the Rotation of Tasks. Certain classroom duties are rotated on a weekly basis, from sweeping the floor all the way up to class leaders. The regular rotation of duties, in such that it gives each student an opportunity to serve, to assist, and to lead, is believed to contribute to the Kezanese cultural norms of group awareness, self-organized shallow and dynamic hierarchies, and fundamental equality.
Class Leader - Helps the classroom teacher in keeping the classroom and student-performed tasks running smoothly. This includes taking attendance, reciting the daily schedule, leading the group in the hallway, and filling in for absent students in a task team. The Class Leader wears a bright orange armband on the left sleeve.
Assistant Class Leader - Selected specially for field trips by sortition, to provide the classroom teacher with additional aids to keep the class in order. An Assistant Class Leader wears a bright yellow armband on the left sleeve.
Meal Team - Two teams, one for breakfast and one for lunch. Reports to the school kitchen to prepare their assigned meal, transports it to the classroom, serves it to their classmates, and then return the materials to the kitchen. Members of the Meal Teams wear white jackets and hats while performing their duties, to keep their regular uniform clean and hair out of the food.
Cutlery Team - Distributes clean food trays, bowls, and utensils, readies the classroom for the Meal Team to bring the meal.
Janitorial Team - Leads the cleaning of the classroom, performed three times. Usually limited to sweeping and gathering waste, but are responsible for taking care of spills or other messes that happen during the day.
General Team - The remainder of the classroom. Available to assist in clean-up (responsible for moving furniture out of the way of the Janitorial Team and to wipe down surfaces) and other duties.
Information below derived from Census 1656 reporting data.
The population of the County Palatine is 1,762,714, of which 264,407 hold citizenship status (~15%).
Ethnic groups in Kezan are categorized according to whether they are "acculturated" or unacculturated. Acculturated groups are considered primarily "Kezanese", with signifiers to indicate their variety.
The dominant ethnicity, Antican Kezanese, makes up 67.4% of the total population. Sunderneyer Kezanese, the only group native to the islands, continues to make up 13.9% of the population.
|Unacculturated Ethnicities by Origin|
Elw and Holzer languages persist to varying degrees among their associated ethnic groups, though virtually all Kezanese Nationals speak Istvanistani fluently. Aryashti persists as a liturgical language.
The Holodomatic School is the predominant religious movement within the County Palatine. Its primary liturgical rite is derived from Kaikian Antican practices, with alternative rites associated with dedication to Elwynn (Elw Rite), to Adi Paraśakti (Aryashti Rite), etc.
Other practices include alternative Antican movements, such as Providentialism, the New Plethonists, Eteodic and Anokatodic Schools, and Aryashti Sattva, as well as non-Antican movements, such as the Church of Elwynn, Cedrism, and the Nasarenes.