In one of several historical references, Lac Glacei is a cold mountainous northern region. These mountains nearly encircle a large freshwater sea, also named Lac Glacei. The region was first settled by Mala'anje refugees. Several years later, Scots, mercenaries and volunteers lead by Mellow Prince Melvin, to the aid, as they supposed, of Melvin's half-brother, Bonnie Prince Charlie. Melvin's poor navigational skills added to his basically pacifist nature lead to the settlement of Lac Glacei and to the defeat of Bonnie Prince Charlie.
Lac Glacei first appeared in a Micronational sense during the Second War for Cyberian Liberation in December of 1999. It was named jointly by Charles of Tulsa, Emperor Jacobus, and Peter Hickey. The exchange went something like this:
J- I'm the Emperor! Kneel in hommage to me!
H- You can be the Emperor of Ice Cream for all I care!C- Lac Glacei or something like that.
J- Great idea! Anybody know the Latin word for "Ice Cream"?
(The Flag of Lac Glacei Under Lothlarian Rule)
At one point, Shireroth had removed the region entirely, at which point Ryan Caruso attempted to reinstate Lac Glacei as an independent grand duchy. The nation thrived for a short while before coming into conflict with Shireroth over who rightfully owned the region. Grand Duke Caruso had a legitimate claim in having been granted authority by Jacobus and by Shireroth's removal of the land. This was contested however and the region was eventually re-annexed by Shireroth. Caruso's most notable contributions to Lac Glacei at that time were the formation of a regional culture, the national flag and arms, and the founding of the capital city of Alpreaux.
The Centerflying Treaty
In December 2005, Grand Duke Ryan negotiated the Centerflying Treaty with Shireroth which guarantees Lac Glaceian sovereignty while maintaining ties of loyalty to Shireroth which benefit both nations.
The Centerflying Treaty
- WHEREAS the Imperial Republic of Shireroth claims Lac Glacei through Article Nine of the Southsailing Treaty, through direct grant in the Tymarian era, and through the right of years of continuous occupation,
- BUT WHEREAS Ryan Caruso has a competing claim, a strong cultural tie to the land, a committment to develop it further, and the diplomatic and political skill to resolve its many difficulties,
- AND WHEREAS both parties are willing to act in concord for the protection and betterment of Lac Glacei,
- THEREFORE, the Kaiser of Shireroth and Ryan Caruso agree to the following:
- FIRST, that Lac Glacei will become a sovereign Grand Duchy under Grand Duke Ryan Caruso.
- SECOND, that the Grand Duchy of Lac Glacei will become a protectorate of Shireroth, under the following terms:
- That it acknowledge the Kaiser as a ceremonial head of state. - That it share the foreign policy of Shireroth - That it share the currency and economy of Shireroth, and present no barrier to the free flow of Shirerithian goods - That it does not cede its sovereignty to or become vassal of any third party - That it not be subject to the laws of the Landsraad of Shireroth. -That it not be subject to any Kaiserial decrees save those which expressly mention it. - That it have a separate immigration policy from Shireroth, that citizens of one not be citizens of the other unless they specifically join both nations, and that the Tri-Citizenship policy of Shireroth not apply to it. - That Shireroth is obligated to defend it if attacked - That the Grand Duke and the Kaiser periodically meet and discuss common issues and common goals at their convenience
- THIRD, that any perceived violation in this treaty will be arbitrated by UAI, or, if UAI is unavailable, a similar company or mutually agreed upon neutral party, and that their words will be binding.
- FOURTH, that this treaty supersedes all previous treaties concerning Lac Glacei, and that the Imperial Republic of Shireroth and Ryan Caruso both consider the status of Lac Glacei settled.
SIGNED ____________ (Kaiseress Semisa I)
SIGNED ____________ (Ryan Caruso)
By my hand,
Her Niftiness, The Resurrector: Semisa, First of the Name, Kaiseress of Shireroth, Protector of Comstokia, Overlord of the Duchies of Naudia'Diva, Elwynn, and Kildare, Thane of the Shirelands, Keeper of the Apollo Legacy, Grand Master of the Orders of the Dragon, Griffin, Phoenix, and Chimera, Wielder of Vengeance, Bearer of the Celestial Barrier, Countess of Shirekeep, Knight of the Dragon, Arsonirathius of Delvenus, Knight Companion of the Most Magnificent Imperial Order of the Sovereign Viking Crown, Princess of Hvalafell, Priestess of Cedrism, and Lady of the Golden Mango Throne.
This treaty has been called into question by the Grand Commonwealth on behalf of Treesia a member of the Commonwealth. Treesian claims, while in purely legal terms excellent, seem to be weak in practical considerations, especially with regards to their claims relevance as per the state of play on the ground since the Emperor Jacobus, has accepted the position of Imperator Rex Emeritus and had restated his support of Grand Duke Ryan and of the Treaty.
Grand Duke Ryan having left Lac Glacei and micronationalism, and finding no one in authority in Lac Glacei or in Cognito, by his authority as Founder and as Emperor Emeritus, Emperor Jacobus on October 17, 2006 resumed personal rule over the territory. On April 12, 2007, the Emperor Emeritus began a survey to determine whether to unite Lac Glacei to the Federal Republic of Cyberia.
This was responded to in an overwhelmingly postive fashion. Negotiations were begun between the Imperator Rex Emeritus and envoy Justin Case of the Federal Republic of Cyberia, which resulted in the Treaty reproduced below.
Treaty of Annexation between the
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF CYBERIA and the Grand Duchy of Lac Glacei
I- Acknowledging our common heritage, Lac Glacei hereby requests and accepts the sovereignty of the Federal Republic of Cyberia and of unification within the same.
II- To secure the borders and sovereignty of the FRC in Lac Glacei, the Grand Duchy requests and the FRC agrees to send FRC armed forces to the Grand Duchy.
III- The FRC have full power concerning foreign interests and policy on behalf of the Grand Duchy, and shall conduct itself as the sucessor state to Lac Glacei.
IV- The Grand Duchy has the option of applying for full Province status within the FRC or the maintenance of the status quo for an undetermined time.
V- All citizens, present and past of Lac Glacei shall have all of the rights of citizens of the Federal Republic of Cyberia, excluding all those restricted from such by Cyberian law.
VI- The laws of the Federal Republic of Cyberia shall be considered as the law of the land in Lac Glacei, and the legislature of the FRC shall have full authority within Lac Glacei. Lac Glacei shall have the right to a non-voting delegate present in any and all deliberations until such time as Lac Glacei becomes a Province of the FRC and so entitled to full rights therein.
VII- The senior member of the House of Bonaparte- Stuart-Kahunamea shall have the right to use the title of Emperor within Lac Glacei as a ceremonial title.
VIII- This treaty shall come into effect on approval by the Emperor Rex Emeritus of Lac Glacei and ratification by the Senate of the FRC.
(signed and approved)
The treaty was been approved by the Senate of the Federal Republic of Cyberia.
The Empire Strikes back
The Federal Republic of Cyberia was wracked by hurricanes that destroyed a significant amount of the nations military capability. In order to see that the overseas territories were protected and governed, the FRC ceded the majority of is empire to the Imperial Republic of Shireroth.
As the original territory of Lac Glacei on Micras is occupied by established nations, Lac Glacei today is a vaguish-territorial Bailiwick under the Duchy of Yardistan, neither fish nor fowl. However as the current Kaiser is also the Imperator Rex Emeritus that is not likely to change any time soon.