Forum Redesign Poll II

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

dStryker

Re: Forum Redesign Poll II

Post by dStryker »

The blue and red on blue background looks positively disgusting. While the blue background isn't that bad (is that the actual background, or will there be some sort of image like now?), the blue and red for the tables hurts my eyes.I like the banner though. Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Yes, definitely do something about the red at least. In the midst of all that blue it's a bit of a visual jolt.It's not horrible, I suppose... the text should be more easily visible now, and the thing with the three buttons makes for an excellent contraction of stuff that would otherwise take up too much space. But I dislike the red bars... and I don't think I like the background, either. The color range is right, but it's too plain. We should have some sort of image back there, preferably one at least reminiscent of the one we've got now.

Kaiser Los III

Forum Redesign Poll II

Post by Kaiser Los III »

So, people are in favor of some sort of redesign.My attempt to develop a new theme for the forum is here. What do you think of it?(if you vote against this, please give suggestions, and I'll see if I can make someone else design something people will like more)It is very good and should be usedIt is good, but you should change something, which I will tell you about in a post belowI don't like it, but it's better than the current designI don't like it at allFnordShow results

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

The Background STAYS. PERIOD.Um, but the colors hurt my eyes. Dim it. Blindness Is A Blessing

Taoiseach Taicardainre I

Post by Taoiseach Taicardainre I »

The top is much nicer Taoiseach Taicardainre IThe Grand Commonwealth - Aerlig - MNN - Treesia - mncentre - EIFA - Lemuria

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

too bright!

Kaiser Los III

Post by Kaiser Los III »

Okay, so I'm getting that no one likes the bright red header. That wasn't part of the original design, but osmose told me to add something red in there because it was too blue. So I've replaced it with a blue header which I think looks much nicer; take a look and tell me what you think.But osmose is right. As it is, it is too blue. If you can think of anything to redify, tell me. The text looks awful in red, so that won't work.

try a dark red instead on the header? say, semi congealed blood red?

Kaiser Los III

Post by Kaiser Los III »

That looks NOTHING like the UAS! The UAS was black!

Gryphon Avocatio

Post by Gryphon Avocatio »

It's too bright. Darker is easier on the eyes. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Ucci

Post by Ucci »

New header is cool. Hyperlinks are a good color.The tables are too blue, though. Throw in something like gray?You might even be able to keep the swampy background on this forum - as long as you (1) simplify the forum buttons, (2) keep the red hyperlinks gone byebye, (3) switch up some of the blue in the tables.A lot of this is trial and error, of course.Jack Edited by: Ucci  at: 8/23/05 15:18

Emperador Augustin

Post by Emperador Augustin »

Try purple instead of red. Like #7E55A8 or #543498.Alternately using green instead of red would be a nice change.As to the blue text, i'd recommend lightening the blue more rather than actually changing the colour itself. Something like #81B3FF or #5B91E3.EDIT:Just took a look at the test forum and all I can say is:OH MY FREAKING GOD IT'S THE UAS ALL OVER AGAIN!!! Edited by: Emperador Augustin at: 8/23/05 15:23

Kaiser Los III

Post by Kaiser Los III »

What part exactly is too bright? The blue gradient header? The blue main table? The cyan link text? The light grey normal text? The background?

Ucci

More comments

Post by Ucci »

1) You've definitely gone in the right direction with the new banner.2) On more reflection, keep this background. It's very Shireroth. There has to be a way to bring the tables into harmony with it. Ryan might be right - head for green and purple. Those are in the bkg.Jack

AngelGuardian93

Re: More comments

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

Once again, i'll go with the flow, unless... There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Gryphon Avocatio

The foreground and the red header are too bright. The cyan just doesn't work well either.As it is, I don't see that as an improvement over what we have now. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

It's not. What we have now is good, except for the red, which either needs to be brighter or darker. Blindness Is A Blessing

Gryphon Avocatio

If there were a slur for the colour-blind, I would have just said it.(I love you, James). 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Gryphon Avocatio

Okay, I have my own contribution to this debate, taking into account what james has said, and, of course, the oldest complaint to our boards, readability.p202.ezboard.com/fyardistanfrm9I have not deigned to make sweeping changes as our Lord Kaiser has. Rather, I suggest this more traditional design. The most notable changes are as follows:- The majority of the red had been done away with (only on buttons). Links are now a light blue (not cyan) rather than red. (It's not quite the blue I want, but that's unimportant at this time of night).-The main body text has been turned from blue to white to increase contrast and thus readability. Though that may be a bit harsh, it's hard to argue that the current lack of contrast is superior.Other than that, I kept most of Shireroth's traditional forum colours. I chose colours bearing in mind the original colours and considering how well they work with the old.\So there you have it.By the way, the three of you who voted that Scott's design is very good and should be used should go take an art class. Seriously. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

I actually find the white to be harder to read, somehow. The rest looks good. What if we made the background lighter with darker text, and we incorporated the traditional forum colors some other way? *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

I say we just change the bubble header and we're all set. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Nick, I love you. It's perfect! Take me, my hero! Blindness Is A Blessing

Gryphon Avocatio

I have just changed computers, and this one has a video card which displays contrast better (I've checked the other with several monitors).Really, the readability with these colors just got better for me :P.I'm not a big fan of the white on blue either, but I can't really come up with anything much better that allows us to "incorporate the traditional colors." I think it's at least easier to read, but it's hard on the eyes in a different way.I'd like to keep the boards generally the way they look now if they were to change. If anybody has any better suggestions for text colour, reply with a #xxxxxx hex number here. By the way, so you can test it yourselves, the numbers used on the forum frames are #000066 and #333366. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Kaiser Los III

Post by Kaiser Los III »

Hmm. The only things:1. I like the current new topic button better than the one on there, and it goes with the header.2. I don't much like the swamp background right now. It's very fuzzy and the resolution's no good, not to mention it's a *gasp* copyrighted image. If we absolutely insist on using it, is there any way someone can take the original Warcraft image (I can't find it anymore, but it's gotta be somewhere) and get something that's better looking without taking up too much bandwidth.3. I'm not a fan of the bubbles myself. Either we can get rid of them or, if we choose to keep them, can we move them somewhere that they won't disappear every so often?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I still have the originals of the current background saved in my Shireroth archive. If you want them, let me know.As for copyright - it was distributed as a wallpaper. Shireroth is an NPO and therefore it can use it. If you want to be technical about it, put a tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the forum saying something like "Background Courtesy of Blizzard Entertainment".As for alternatives, I have many, from both my own unused projects and from the original attempt at re-design. If you're looking for something in particular, just ask.One alternative might be this image. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Gryphon Avocatio

1) I was too lazy to change the buttons. ANd I like my redesigned originals better, but no!, we must continue to purposely change things!2) No swamp background? Fine. Put back Malarbor as my compromise dictated so long ago.3) The Bubbles! Those were put up as per my suggestion. Howverm it was decided that since you didn't want to deal with bandwidth I would host them. Please take them off my hands and put them on the shireroth.org server. And keep them. They're pretty. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

nick, that hurts my eyes

Ciaron Broeck

Post by Ciaron Broeck »

As a foreignor, the banner rocks, the rest of it sucks. The worst part about the Shirerothian page is Malabor on the index. Your using as a background a clear forground style image. It doesn't set the mood or feel, it just looks warped and ugly.The General discussion forum with the new banner would look cool. Emyr Ciaron BroeckKing of Breuddwyd

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Have you people ever considered that maybe, instead of trying to make sure we have the "Traditional Shirerithian Colors" that we try to have something that looks good? *GASP* They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Moose, two words: STFU, n00b. Blindness Is A Blessing

Return to “General Discussion”