Baronial Ordinance II: Quarantine

Aurangzeb Khan

Baronial Ordinance II: Quarantine

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

02/1388: An Ordinance For The Imposition of a Quarantine
3582 ASC

Ardashir Piroz Moqtada al-Osmani, Khan of Vijayanagara, Baron of Eliria &c. doeth by this ordinance hereby decree as follows:

1.0. Quarantine:
1.1. Within the bounds of the Barony of Eliria a quarantine shall be in effect;
1.2. Those who shall be deemed as being subject to quarantine shall be excluded from the public life of the Barony and expelled from its territory.

2.0. Schedule of Proscribed Species:
2.1. The quarantine shall be applied to all:
2.1.1. Elfinshi;
2.1.2. Ohl'tar;
2.1.3. Self-Declared Sentient Ovines;
2.2. The Schedule of Proscribed Species subject to quarantine may be revised by subsequent amendments to this Ordinance, to be annotated.

3.0. Exemptions:
3.1. Exemption from quarantine provisions for individuals of the species and or categories listed under 2.1., may be granted on a case by case basis for no period longer than 48 hours under the following conditions:
3.1.1. The issuance of a specific licence and internal visa by the Baron;
3.1.1. Letters of Accreditation issued by the Kaiser, Duke or Brigadgeneral affirming that the individual who would otherwise be subject to quarantine is required to visit Eliria on Imperial, Ducal or Elwynnbrigaden business.
3.2. No other exemptions shall be granted.

4.0. Enforcement:
4.1. The Baron may issue a writ of cudgelling, as outlined in Ordinance 01/1388, against any party that violates the quarantine.

5.0. Enactment

5.1. This ordinance shall be in force from the date of its publication.

[signed]
Ardashir pîroz Moqtada al-Osmani
han of Vijayanagara
Baron of Eliria
Earl of Alalehzamin

Leo Fenrir

Re: Baronial Ordinance II: Quarantine

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Castle Eliria

The door to the room flew open as Leo barged in. "Ardashir what is this? Why on earth would you impose such an inhuman quarantine? I realize I have no power in you jurisdiction. I do however want to hear your reasoning!"
Leo Fenrir

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

"Inhuman? But my dear chap these are not humans at all. This is the whole point of the quarantine, it is for the protection of humanity, Elw and Babki alike. The Ohl'tar are an invasive alien species whose evolutionary history is wholly divergent from that of humanity, who have missed contact with humanity by 40,000 years and whose impact on human health, aside from the obvious risk of dismemberment, cannot yet be properly gauged."

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

"Well my good friend, if I may call you that, you have quite a way with words. You failed to address your reasoning for the Elfinshy and the Sheep? Both of which represent no immediate threat to our Duchy's safety. I do support your decisions regarding the Ohl'Tar however."
Leo Fenrir

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

The Khan sighed wearily, as was his want, and took another sip of gin-laced chai from a small glass cup before answering.

"My dear Baron, I understand your sentiments - the Elfinshi are not like the Ohl'tar, they are not as straightforwardly murderous or barbaric, and they are not as revolting to the senses as the arachnids, indeed they can be quite fetching and attractive, elfin if you will. No doubt you will have heard from an early age about how hard done by they are, all on account of the Babkhans having an irrational dislike of divergent sapiens with pointy ears and a penchant for overly affectionate snuggling. I can assure you that this is nothing but a crass distortion of history."

The Khan paused to take another sip of chai-laced gin.

"In the ancient past there once arose a great empire, the Imperium of Menelmacar, and for a time it was as a light unto the nations. Its power and wisdom, seemingly boundless. It was a multi-species and multi-ethnic empire, what became the Elfinshi on the one hand, and human branch dominated by Banana worshipping psychics who, Zurvan willing, we will never have cause to mention again. Indeed let us pause to purge our memories of any unwanted archetypes."

The Khan took another sip before nodding towards the samovar in the corner of the room and asked if Leo would like a cup of chai. Leo nodded and the Khan got up to pour some of the dark liquid into a small glass rimmed with silver. Returning with the glass to the desk the Khan reached into the draw and produced a quarter bottle of Piroz (Victory) Gin, indicating with a gesture that a fortifying shot to accompany was on offer. The Baron politely declined, however it was only when Leo asked if it was possible to add some milk to the tea that the Khan looked genuinely horrified. Muttering something about the last carton having 'gone off', if he were even able to find any, the Khan resumed his explanation.

"The Elfinshi had a Queen, I use the term Queen with certain caveats, known as Sirithil, and she fell prey to hubris and a sense of overweening pride that became so acute that she was unwilling to share power with the humans any longer and she attempted to cleanse them from the Imperium. The attempt failed of course, and in the civil war that followed Menelmacar was destroyed, but during that time Babkha and many other human nations supported the human population of Menelmacar in its attempt to end the Elfinshi tyranny. So it was that when Elwynn was colonised by the Elfinshi the elders of Hyperborea summoned Babkhans to break their power - of course they subsequently betrayed my ancestors and sought to portray themselves as liberators of the land between the two rivers from a reign which they had themselves instigated and abetted. That is of course however now ancient history."

However with the Elfinshi, on account of their physical longevity, it is no such thing. For centuries afterwards the House of Osman, and all Babki in Elwynn had to be on the alert, ever vigilant against roaming Elfinshi death squads, thirsty for blood and revenge, even as the generations passed. In the end only the physical separation of the communities ended the bloodshed, the Elfinshi into exile in Yardistan or else onto obscure reserves in Illumination, the Babki confined to Lesser Zjandaria, and more recently to Alalehzamin. Now, however, the Elfinshi have violated the compact which ended the disorders of the past by moving out of the Phoenix Forest and the marginal or debatable lands; everywhere their numbers increase and we receive reports of their activities in Araxion, we know that they are on the move - in so doing they challenge the implicit compact that ended the past disorders. Never again will we willingly permit the descendants of proud Menelmacar to exercise their hateful tyranny over the races of men, Elw and Babki alike. However we accept that the social mores of the time do not permit a return to the old ways so instead we merely close our borders to them unless they are on official or pressingly legitimate business.

And that is all there is really to be said on that matter."

"The sheep?" Enquired Leo.

"Pardon?"

"You still haven't explained about the sheep."

"Must I?"

"My dear friend, I would be greatly obliged if you at least tried."

Another drawn out sigh, drowned only by another sip of Khan's 'special chai', ensued.

"As for the sheep. Well we have noted several instances where sheep consigned to the abattoirs have attempted to negotiate with personnel employed there - this has had a negative impact on their morale so therefore we have banned admittance of sentient ovines lest they accidentally mingle with domesticated flocks and any more unfortunate incidents occur. The quarantine is therefore, in this instance at least, mutually beneficial."

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Finishing his cup of tea, with a offhanded comment about needing to import some milk from Natopia, Leo thanked the Khan and prepared to leave.

"Well both know that its not exactly like I could do anything about this even if I wanted to, but I must say that the arguments you offer are persuasive, if not to my liking. I would like you to know however that should word that even a single sheep was mistreated unduly, that you will be hearing more from me." Leo noticed that in pointing at the Baron he had spilt the dregs of tea from the cup that was still clenched in his hand. "I'm not very good at this threatening thing... I should really stop trying. Well thats what Steve and Steve are for.

Well I see that I begin to bore you Ardashir so I will leave you. My thanks for humoring me though. Oh and sorry about your door. You can add that to the expenses for the battlements."
Leo Fenrir

Return to “County of Eliria and Utasia”