The End Time of the Church

Nathan of Natopia

The End Time of the Church

Post by Nathan of Natopia »

http://chancellornate.proboards.com/ind ... hread=1826

Nathan was bracing for the landing of his private jet as it touched ground at the Doza International Airport. He had arrived in the Sacred City for a few days of attending to the affairs of the church, which he had been neglecting. A special limo pulled up on the tarmac and he got in, to be taken to the Basilica. It was less impressive than the cathedral in Lindstrom City, which perhaps had contributed to the decline of Athlon in recent years. It was technically the head of the church still, but being on an isolated island far from the main empire, the day to day runnings of the church had relocated to the cathedral in Lindstrom City, where the pentheros lived and worked mainly. Now Doza was a poor city, sustained only by tourism of pilgrims who were only disappointed by the Basilica when they arrived.

The pentheros arrived at St. Bessie's Square. The Armored Goats had cordoned off areas for the crowds so that Nathan could walk into the Basilica... but there were few people in the Square. Nathan walked up the steps and through the iron doors of the basilica. The iron had been melted down from the canon and other weapons left over from the war that brought this island under Natopian rule.

Most common folk just knew that this island once belonged to a great and powerful empire that contained more population then anyone else on Micras thought possible, but the nations of Micras rose up against the great empire. Natopia was one of those nations that took part in that great war from long ago. This island was our spoils. Through mixing of the natives and Natopian colonists, the Athlonians had somehow struck the genetic lottery and became known for their extreme beauty within a few generations. They sold themselves to rich Natopian businessmen and barons back on the mainland into what critics referred to as "the Athlon slave trade." Athlonians could be seen on the arm of many important people at the big parties in Lindstrom City. Even the Emperor employed some Athlonians as waitstaff at his parties to entertain his guests.

Yes, this tiny island kingdom has been important to Natopia's history. But as Nathan reflected on this while walking down the empty nave to the dusty and cracked alter he sensed regret for this place. This was to be the crown of the Empire. But here he is about to perform Herd to an empty basilica.

Instead, he went beyond the alter to the apse where a wooden yolk was displayed and lite by an unseen window. It was said this yolk was worn by the Butter Cow in one of his incarnations. Tradition holds that he wore this yolk while telling the tale of the Vices of Mt Vice. Nathan knelt down to pray before the yolk. He prayed for some revelation as to how to revitalize not only the island, but also the church.

He looked up and was blinded by the yellow-white light of his butteriness's Image. It was the Butter Spirit, appearing to him. "Pentheros of my Church, King of my Land, and Prophet of my Word... hear this. I must return to guide my calves, for your church has faltered and fumbled with my Word. I read the book you wrote about me. It couldn't have been more wrong. Fool! You must sculpt me a body for my Fifth Coming! And this time, make sure it is a bull."

"Y-y-y-es.... your... butteriness. I am not a sculptor. Surely I will find someone more suited to thi..."

"NO!!!" and somehow a hoof was able to materialize and slap Nathan across the forehead "YOU will sculpt this body and by my divine inspiration... it will be suitable for my Spirit. Remember, it must be a bull. Obviously my messages last time were convoluted due to the fact that I was a cow and thus assumed to be pacifist and tolerant. Also, no one will think me a transvestite if I am possessing a bull form. This will be your final task as pentheros of my church. For when I am incarnate, there will be no need for this church for there is no need to worship and study what is living and breathing and butter. GO NOW YE FOOL and sculpt my body!"

And then the light dimmed and Nathan found himself under the alter. The hoof had knocked him and he slid this far on the marble floor. He probably had a concussion. So after a trip to the doctor he would go to the palace and decree a butter tax on all the island dwellers so that he may accumulate the materials for a massive butter sculpture to house the Butter Spirit for his Fifth Coming.
Nathan,
Prophet of the Butter Bull,
Head Missionary of the Bovic Dominion of Natopia,
Natopian Representative to the Small Commonwealth,
Member of the Roth Zera of Elwynnese Realm

Return to “County of Smjörkýr”