Straylight Blurb

Kaiser Los I

Straylight Blurb

Post by Kaiser Los I »

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The Duchy of Straylight is certainly the most unique region of Shireroth. It has always been rumored that dolphins are as intelligent (if not more intelligent) than men, and that the only barrier to communication is the totally different languages and environments they live in. But a scientist from Brookshire, Edward Rupen, refused to let this daunt him. Working with a dolphin named Zhaki, he developed a Common-Dolphin dictionary, and managed to open negotiations between Kaiser Gaelen II and the leader of the most influential pod of dolphins in the Halberd Strait, whose name can be approximated in Common as Ari (although his last name, no matter how expert the translation, still continues to sound like random dolphin clicks). Ari became one of the few beings the Kaiser trusted, and he made an alliance between the Salomon Pod and the Imperial Republic. The dolphins got some high technology out of the deal, and Gaelen got some of the most inconspicuous spies in the history of espionage. It is worth noting that during his entire reign, the Shirerothian fleet was never surprised by foreign navies no matter how complete their planning. But when Gaelen fell ill, he became paranoid, and started distrusting even his most loyal Dukes. Finally, he left it in his will that no human was worthy to be his successor, and he gave the Kaiserial crown to Ari. Unfortunately, the dolphin leader died shortly afterwards (to be replaced with his son of the same nameÂ…the son was Ari I, since Delphinian numbering always starts with zero.). This son had a great respect for Shireroth, and was inexperienced with leadership. He asked Steward Celestis to make the Straylight Reef, home of the Salomon Pod as well as some lesser groups of dolphin socities, a Duchy of Shireroth, and the Steward agreed.Today Straylight is the most important dolphin community in the world, and its banks are centers for the study and promotion of greater Human-Delphinian relations. Los answered furious: "Art thou one of those who when most complacentMean mischief most? Lo! I am also such.One must be master. Try thy Arts. I also will try mine. - from The Four Zoas, William Blake

Zhaki the Dolphin

Re: Straylight Blurb

Post by Zhaki the Dolphin »

This reminds me... I'm just about bored enough to recompile the world and update everything 'round here, maybe even adding some new information... and play around with terraform to create nice pictures... except that I noticed that I've had a major @#%$-up with my sources.list (I had it pointing to the stable version, while my distro is actually testing) and I have to download ~300 MB of packages. Well, fortunately such a thing as broadband exists . * swims off to continue tinkering with X configuration after the package upgrade has finished *

Zhaki the Dolphin

As an almost but not completely related, I hate my computer, or more properly the faulty hardware (most probably CPU). When I try to create a terrain of any real size (say 800x800) the strain it puts on the system crashes any browsers I try to use, even Lynx, pretty quickly and thus I can't browse the web while waiting for a terrain to be created. Then, after crunching for some time, the X server crashes (due to the strain on the CPU which, in turn, is due to terraform) and kills terraform while it goes down... How wonderfully useless..

Brrapa Lu Eraro

Post by Brrapa Lu Eraro »

What kinda CPU? Brrapa Lu'Eraro"Not all who wander are lost.."

Zhaki the Dolphin

AMD k6-2 at 500 MHz... My source is http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/ ...

Kaiseress Viviantia I

Post by Kaiseress Viviantia I »

I see... That reminds me.. I need to find SimLife on an Abandonware site... Kaiseress Viviantia IKaiseress of Shireroth

Zhaki the Dolphin

Maxis, like Lucasarts, tends to make classics that are sold in stores/webstores for ages, and thus are quite damn difficult to find from abandonware sites...

Kaiseress Viviantia I

Sim Life was a dumb game they stopped selling ages ago.. I found it.. and got bored in an hour... Kaiseress Viviantia IKaiseress of Shireroth

dStryker

Post by dStryker »

I don't even remember ever hearing of it. University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small. - Henry KissingerNever interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napoleon BonaparteMost people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

I played SimLife.But I could never get it to work right... “I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy.”-G. W. Bush

Kaiseress Viviantia I

Yeah, tis an odd game.. Kaiseress Viviantia IKaiseress of Shireroth

Return to “House Tessier-Ashpool”