The new Sancts map, and other stuff

Ari Rahikkala

The new Sancts map, and other stuff

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I''m writing a series of articles on the sancts in the Wiki. This information is somewhat based on the original plans at http://shireroth.kuroshiro.net/forum/vi ... hp?p=72211, however, in the years since that post was up to date, things have changed - some Sancts have grown, some have grown quite different in character, etc.. so please consider only the information in the Wiki up to date.

(also, on the Sea of Pandemonium... let's just say that that never existed :p)

So, now that we've got a bunch of sancts, it's time for you, Straylightians interested in becoming a Count, to take your pick. Every sanct is up for grabs, and you can incorporate several into a County if you like (we'll just say they're in a close alliance). Don't worry about territorial congruity - it's a fact of life in Straylight that you can get from anywhere to anywhere fairly quickly, so you can form a County out of Sargassum and Clonmacnoise if you like. Discontinuity will get a County of its own, though. I won't take a County for myself - the Duke of Straylight doesn't really lead by force (it's more by example, by exploitation of the common understanding that things could get very ugly if the Kaiser wasn't pleased with the Duchy, and occasional periods of rampant populism).

So far, I've written basic articles on Discontinuity, Gensym and Pohjankaupunki. Yeah, I know, that's not much to choose from yet, but I'm getting forward. Right now I'm working on the article for Blavatsky, which I expect our Gralan citizens might like...

As for Baronies... since Straylight's government isn't feudal, it's kind of difficult to find an equivalent to the feudal Barony. The closest I can get are the COSAC (council of Straylightian administrative councils), which leads the more ad-hocky sanct governments in its own ad-hocky way, and the Pohjanvälke Coalition, which leads its own set of sanct governments in a more organised and regimented way. I'll write more on them later...
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Liam conToketi

Re: The new Sancts map, and other stuff

Post by Liam conToketi »

Fancy...you work fast, my lord duke.

And me, choose? I wouldn't think of it... :worship

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I'm serious about this, Liam. It's your choice. If you don't like what's available, tell me what you want and we'll create a new Sanct based on that together :). (or, if you're quick about it, just pick one of the sancts I haven't yet established anything for and place the idea there)

Blavatsky, BTW, is causing me some problems as the article involves some rather... unorthodox... ideas. I did manage to write something up on Sargassum, but it's rater unpolished and requires some structure. You can help if you like: I pretty much dumped core on that article, so don't worry about conflicting with any ideas that I had for Sargassum but didn't mention there - there aren't any, really...

Liam conToketi

Post by Liam conToketi »

Well, since you made mention to Gralans liking Blavatsky, I guess that would be a good place to start for me... :thumbsup

And what kind of unorthodox ideas are we talking about here...
<_<
>_>
<_<

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

You'll see once I actually get that article online... which won't happen today, I guess. I was about to write something for Sanctuary Dome, but got bogged down in architectural details. I guess what I'll do tonight instead is playtest a map I made of western Micras (Benacia, Tapfer, Cibola, the surrounding islands) for Colonization (yes, Sid Meier's Colonization, the 1994 turn-based strategy game).

Return to “House Tessier-Ashpool”