If you use open-source, the terrorists have already won!

Moderator: Gman Russell

Ari Rahikkala

If you use open-source, the terrorists have already won!

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

yro.slashdot.org/yro/03/0...ml?tid=122I'll comment on this later... Proud proponent of iruka-ai everywhere

Jadie Mathematician

Re: If you use open-source, the terrorists have already won!

Post by Jadie Mathematician »

okay I feel really stupid...but what the heck is open source??? Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Kaiser Raynor X

Post by Kaiser Raynor X »

Means, the source code for the program(s) is available for ANYONE to use, edit and distribute(as long as credit is given where it is due, and other small details...). Windows=Closed Source. Linux=Open Source. Windows=bad.. so... closed=bad.. Linux= good... thusly.. open=good...And to the comment..... Some people are just.. DUMB! And you can't stop open source....It's more powerful than you! MAUHAHAHHA....err.. yeah.. Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Jadie Mathematician

windows is gooood!! I like windows!! Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Kaiser Raynor X

I'm sorry... you have sucumbed to the evil empire... Raegan(sp?) would be disappointed... Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Jadie Mathematician

oh well..I like being in evil empires *winks* Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Kaiser Raynor X

But this isn't a good evil........ Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Jadie Mathematician

yes it is!! Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Kaiser Raynor X

No.. it isn't.... And I should know good from bad evil.... Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

OK... now I will comment on this... basically, what happened is that DARPA advised the University of Pennsylvania to suspend work on a security-related project. And a part of that project was OpenBSD, which basically meant funding for OpenBSD. And suspension, of course, meant that that funding was pulled. Now, as for the meaning of "As a result of the DARPA review of the project, and due to world events and the evolving threat posed by increasingly capable nation-states"... well, I don't know about the DARPA review. OpenBSD is known as basically the most secure modern UNIX-like OS in use, and thus also the most secure modern OS that is feasible to run on a random server. That ought to be good enough for DARPA. But the second part is heavier stuff... "increasingly capable nation-states"? Tell me, what else would this refer to but to what the government loves to call rogue nations?Piracy can't really be stopped by anyone. Not by the governments, not by the companies. It's entirely infeasible to think that the US government is afraid that "terrorists" will become more powerful because they are able to get stuff to run on their computers for free - after all, they can just pirate Windows and be done with it. * ari wraps some tinfoil around his head *... actually, the US government wants everyone else to run proprietary software on their computers. You see, the government is able to put as many backdoors and hooks into proprietary software as it wants - people won't know about their existence since they can't see the source. This way the US can spy the whole world (well, all parts of the world that are rich enough to buy computers, or cunning enough to steal ones... not that cunning people would run Windows ;)) at their will. If open-source was promoted, the US would find it harder to spy on other nations due to Proud proponent of iruka-ai everywhere

Kaiser Raynor X

GO OPEN SOURCE!.. Woot Linux!... Hail Unix!.. and yay OpenBSD.... Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Harvey the Blue

Post by Harvey the Blue »

Yay open-source stuff!And I agree with Erik. Windows is not a good type of evil empire. Granted, I still use it... but I lack a computer to toy with alternatives on. Harvey SteffkeJadie's Lesser HalfSaves the worldProud bearer of the Shirerothian Silver Sword Award and Imperial Star

Jadie Mathematician

*shrugs*I am used to it.....I do have to say though I hate having XP being so different than everything else..that just blows... Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Hm... this is a good place for another conspiracy theory. I remember typing a complete post, hell, I remember checking it and seeing it's all there... but now the end of my last post has disappeared. Hm. Hey, perhaps I should start giving people free shell accounts on my computer so that they could toy around with the command-line ;) ? "I believe they just installed Gentoo Linux."

Kaiser Raynor X

... Telnet? Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Jadie Mathematician

*blinks*riiight Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Kaiser Raynor X

It's a way to use a computer from accros a network... It was how I was gonna get my server working without a monitor was I had the basics installed ... never got very far.. Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Jadie Mathematician

*blinks*riiiiight Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Kaiser Raynor X

I am... Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Jadie Mathematician

*blinks*I am so confused Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

ssh beats the crap out of telnet... I would never trust a telnet server on my box. Anyhoo, just as an anecdote, the last time this computer's monitor died, I just calmly moved to my brother's computer, ssh'd in and continued using it. I think I even ran my irssi (IRC client) session in a screen so I could just reattach it to the ssh pseudoterminal and keep on chatting. In more understandable words, my monitor died but it was no problem since I could just as easily use the computer remotely. I also often log in at school to do software upgrades (still on my home computer) simply so that they don't get in the way of my "normal" computer use. "I believe they just installed Gentoo Linux."

Jadie Mathematician

*is still confused* Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

You're confused only because you're used to using a crippled operating system... "I believe they just installed Gentoo Linux."

Jadie Mathematician

Hey!! Leave windows alone!!! Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

No I won't! EVERY OPERATING SYSTEM SUCKS! And Windows blows, too! It sucks and blows at the same time! "I believe they just installed Gentoo Linux."

Jadie Mathematician

*blinks**shrugs*Okie...I am just oblivious to what else is out there so let my simple mind be happy :) Just a bubbly elf-cat girl who gives out adviceand saves countries

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

You know, if I wanted to, I could write a very irritable reply about your simple-mindedness and conservativeness here, but I chose not to do so because of two things... I'm sleepy... and I've had my share of evilness for today anyway. So, instead... ehm... you should try Linux one day :). "I believe they just installed Gentoo Linux."

Kaiser Raynor X

She will.. next year...MAUUAHAHA Raynor M'JiliadKaiser of Shireroth

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

.... hm? "I believe they just installed Gentoo Linux."

Gryphon Avocatio

Post by Gryphon Avocatio »

They'll be in school together... Gryphon Avocatio - King of the cool Short Sig! - Illuminati You've come to take control You can take my heartbeat But you can't break my soul We all shall be free Illuminati You'll never take control Your new world order Will lead to none at all We all stand before you as one Heaven is for everyone To be free from the dark -Gamma Ray, Induction

Return to “County of Yardistan”