Resignation of citizenship

Handles the census, and migration to, from and within Shireroth; apply for citizenship here

Moderator: Edgard

Scott of Hyperborea

Resignation of citizenship

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

If you want to know why, the short answer is this and the attitude mentioned here, and the long answer is "everything that has happened in Shireroth over the past eight months".

This place hasn't been fun ever since trolling became okay and trying to get people to stop trolling became not okay. I've been hanging on more because I wouldn't know what to do with myself otherwise than because I was actually enjoying my time here, and that's not healthy. I'm breaking my normal policy of waiting a week before doing anything rash, just because I'm starting to think this is an addiction that needs to be broken and not a bond that needs to be protected.

I've had good times in Shireroth and maybe I'll be back at some point, but nothing annoys me more than people who ragequit and then come back again the next week. If I return, it won't be this year, unless something really unexpected happens.

Erik, I'm sorry it turned out this way; you're a cool guy. If you want my advice, throw out all the people who'd rather be in Antica or Nelaga and start anew. Shyriath, you're a cool guy too, and I'm sorry this had to happen under your reign. A bunch of the rest of you are also nifty, but as they say a few rotten apples spoil the barrel.

I've stuck Hyperborea in Imperial Lands. I want to continue development there, and I suppose I'll have to do it in Shireroth until I can find some more permanent home for it. I might finish up the Otter Sundrawer story there too. Don't mind me.

I tried to de-admin myself but couldn't figure out how. Someone else do it.

"Emigration comes for us all, it just has more patience for some."

Erik Mortis

Re: Resignation of citizenship

Post by Erik Mortis »

Scott.. this is a rage-quit. Just pointing out.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Actually Scott, I have no idea how to deal with the trolling. It's rampant in Micronations. It's everywhere. I was just thinking "How do other nations deal with a troll". my first answer was the ostracize him.. then realized.. no.. they don't. They troll right back. Then I looked at the MCS and how people seem to act there. Looking for any chance to make a snarky comment, to snipe at someone's misfortune. It's everywhere. Shireroth had the misfortune of having an open door policy, and start attracting people from everywhere, sadly this includes people who rather troll.

I'm not saying you should be editing posts, nor should have been Ari. Note the fact I removed his modship in the shrine, as a non-cit. But it's these "Everyone is mean! I quit!" actions that are the problem, for months the trolls have been driving out everyone who isn't and who would in the past have ostracized them. I look at #micronations and it confirms this. Same things happened there. A whole plethora of people won't go there because of trolling.

In the past it was just Babkha who were assholes, but they were just one set of folk, didn't spread it around to much, and we kinda liked them for it. Now it's everywhere. And seeping into Shireroth.

We sadly have no mechanism to deal with trolls. We have no culture of intolerance toward it cause all those intolerant of it left, because no one felt right casting someone else out.
Now at this point, I don't know what to do. The bile of the Internet at large has rotted away Shireroth, and we have no mechanisms to deal with it. I can already hear/read the comments elsewhere resulting from this post. Same old sniping and snide comments.

All I know if there are some current citizens, and non-citizens I wish would just leave. You are not one of them Scott.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

I just have to ask. What is your definition of trolling? I ask both Scott and Erik, because you seem to have a very loose definition of the term. I don't see all that much trolling here. I do see levels of dickish behavior, from myself as well, but that's not really trolling.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Erik, I'm sorry it turned out this way; you're a cool guy. If you want my advice, throw out all the people who'd rather be in Antica or Nelaga and start anew.
Ousfest?

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Well, there is a reason why Antica is far better than Shireroth at the moment.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

I think that, if my various rants and raves are considered trolling these days, then this community is practically unsalvagable.

Also, all these apparent people that dislike the "trolling" never do anything about it whatsoever other than complain under their breath. If you don't like the "community" so much for their trolling... well, either you don't like yourself because you're a part of the community, or you have removed yourself so far from the community that you aren't in any position to be talking about it. I haven't had a chance to talk to Scott in months. I never see him online, probably because we're halfway around the world from eachother, and he isn't in the chat ever. What am I supposed to do here?

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I'm also curious to know precisely who these trolls are and precisely how it is that they are destroying Shireroth. As far as I can tell, this is less about people deliberately disrupting the forum and more about people finally getting too fed up with each other to get along.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

I thought to "troll" was basically to drag activity elsewhere, and did not involve the usual kvetching and complaining.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Replace "troll" with "Being a dick for fun..." and it'll make more sense.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Replace "troll" with "Being a dick for fun..." and it'll make more sense.
Sadly, yes it does.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

It's a POLITICAL HOBBY. We're supposed to be able to take extreme positions on controversial issues and defend them for fun! Calling people out on their mistakes isn't trolling; it's being interested in micronationalism still!

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

True, Harvey. I'd like to see a higher level of civility, but a bunch of $#%@^^!!! comes with the territory.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I'm not even talking about that whole "editing" thing anymore. If only people debated and opinionated. They don't. They call others idiots, tell them to STFU and other crap like that. Just randomly show up to say "this is stupid" then go away. Without saying anything else constructive... or even saying anything else...

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

Elliot Markham

Post by Elliot Markham »

I have noticed Shirerithians seem to be much more emo than I had first thought, but I have not seen any trolling. LOL, Erik's probably right though.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

I have noticed Shirerithians seem to be much more emo than I had first thought,...
We are not emo. No NO NO00! NOO0O0O!!!!

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Erik Mortis wrote:I'm not even talking about that whole "editing" thing anymore. If only people debated and opinionated. They don't. They call others idiots, tell them to STFU and other crap like that. Just randomly show up to say "this is stupid" then go away. Without saying anything else constructive... or even saying anything else...
Names, Erik. Names and specific details. Don't spread the guilt around with vague complaints.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

That's all he can do because he refuses to accept any responsibility for anything that happens here.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

In the old days, when people trolled, we would utilize the courts to exact justice - meaning we'd ban them. They either straightened out or left. Nowadays people are too worried about scaring away newbies to do anything.

CJ is a perfect example of all the above.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Ryan, you are still one of the people I admire most around MNs, but I think CJ has paid his dues.

Return to “Ministry of Immigration and Naturalization”