Feudalism Revamped..

Fax Celestis

Re: Feudalism Revamped..

Post by Fax Celestis »

I'm okay with that. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

UEC

Post by UEC »

While I don't aprove of Grand-Duchies.. I feel we need more... option than just County, Barony and Duchy. But instead of going up.. I think we should go out... Cause I like having the title Count.. but what if I wanna be count.. but have people to rule over...hehe Or what if I wanna make a lil feudal empire in Shireroth.. but not be in the Landsraad? E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Gryphon the Pure

Post by Gryphon the Pure »

I'm still not a fan of making the only difference between subdivisions the numbers.I already explained this to His Niftiness, but for the benefit of the rest of you, I will repeat:A lord is only as powerful as his subjects; a King who rules none but serfs is only elevating himself. If a Duke is indeed of higher status than a Baron, then that Duke should be able to rule a Baron, and should be required as such. Let him show his worth by the power of his subjects. If there is a Baron willing to rule beneath him, then let him be called Duke.

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

You used that example to hold up your "Duchies cannot merely be made of a lot of Counts banding together" thing, not whatever you're trying to prove at the moment. But, my gods, can we not even attempt to have a proper feudal system? Viscount is below Count!! Baron is below Viscount! I know we can't do anything about the whole Count-Baron-Duke thing, because this unfortunate system is already pretty much ingrained into the Shirerithian psyche, but can we stop the rot before it starts with regards to Viscounts? Just shunt Counts up the rung of the ladder a bit. Before I make a definite proposal, can I get some potential voting systems, and the reasonings behind them? I know we had some before, but they kind of got lost..

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Well, there's the classical "One vote per subordinate citizen."There's "one vote for each territory controlled," which is about the same thing.There's "one vote for each territory controlled, plus two for controlling an entire thanedom."Or there's the one I proposed on the first page of this thread. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Gryphon the Pure

Post by Gryphon the Pure »

Don't forget the one in my proposal:One vote per directly subordinate citizen, nontradableOne vote per excess territory in a Thanedom to the highest Noble controlling it, tradable down

UEC

Post by UEC »

I thought it was.. 1 vote for being a noble.. plus 1 vote for each county under you (that isn't your own), plus another vote for each baron under you...counts get no votes.Barons get 1 for being baron and 1 for the other county under them at least.dukes get 1 for being duke 2 for the (in theory) to barons under them and another.. er... 4(?) for the counties.. ah.. I'm all mixed up...When a county merges with another county (County A and B).. does one lose the status county and become a barony?A and B merge to make a Barony. Is it the Barony of A with the County B under it... thus barony at min has a noble plus a count?And scrap the viscount thing than... I thought viscount was just barely above count... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

An extra three letters does not a superior rank make, at least not en francais Okay, this is losing steam a tad, better get it wrapped up methinks.I'm favouring a system like this:A Baron gets one vote for every constituent County of his fiefdom (including his own County), and one for being a Baron, the maximum being four votes as a Baron, because of course the minimum County requirement for a Duchy is four.A Duke gets two votes for being a Duke, one for every constituent County in his fiefdom, and an extra one for every subordinate Barony (not counting his own) he has in his fief. There's (theoretically) no upper limit on this, of course, since we won't have Grand Duchies, but the minimum votes a Duke would get would be seven. The question is, should the original Baron's votes be added onto his new Duke's? I'm considering a render policy, where Barons have to surrender voting rights if they want to form a Duchy, but this just removes all incentive to form Duchies, so perhaps a system where the Baron's maximum of four votes is added on to his Duke's...yes, that would be fair. So in Examplestan, where two Baronies, each of three Counties, ally, the new Duke would receive thirteen. One for each of the six Counties (including his own), two for being a Duke, one for his newly subordinate Baron, and his subordinate Baron's four votes, which would probably be leased back to the Baron at a fixed rate, unless the Duke is feeling especially despotic. Yes, that seems fair.I don't think it'd be fair that Thanes get more votes. I think for now it should remain as a cultural idea more than a political one, unless someone wants to persuade me otherwise...

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Nah.Oh, and: Quote:One for each of the six Counties (including his own), two for being a Duke, one for his newly subordinate Baron, and his subordinate Baron's four votes, which would probably be leased back to the Baron at a fixed rate, unless the Duke is feeling especially despotic.Who says they can't be part of the terms of the contract between states? Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

UEC

Post by UEC »

I agree Thanedoms should just be cultural.13 votes.. wow.. that's alot... But than again.. he'd in theory lose 4 of those to his baron.I like that.. E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

Quote:Who says they can't be part of the terms of the contract between states?No-one at all.Right, Thursday (when I'm in college till 7pm) is out of the way, time to get some work done. This proposal will go to the nation as soon as I get home.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Requesting declassification per Declassification act of 3742.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Return to “Classified Archives - Declassification of Christmas 2009”