Immigration Restrictions and Such

Kaiser Los III

Re: Immigration Restrictions and Such

Post by Kaiser Los III »

Hm. You make good points, but I still disagree a bit.There will always be some exceptions to the restrictions - people who can operate in some capacity right away. Foghorn's a perfect example - he is already assistant Minister of Information, and we're all okay with that because he's proven he's good at web design and we know him pretty well from his time in Antica. If his friend Octavius joins, I will probably immediately make him MoMA on a similar rationale. We could always waive restrictions on an individual basis, but this is inefficient, opens us to charges of favoritism, and, as we learned back in the days when Alex was MiniImNat, becomes a very bad idea when the MiniImNat isn't around enough to waive restrictions on a reasonable schedule.I am more worried about bad PR from keeping the restrictions than from removing them. I think that any new person who isn't a moron will understand we can't give sensitive positions to people until they understand our laws and customs, a process which could take two days or two hundred days (there are some people who have been around forever who I still don't think understand our laws and customs so well). On the other hand, the first two weeks of someone's presence in Shireroth are probably the most important in determining whether they give up and go away or stay on with us. If they feel discriminated against in those two weeks, they may not stay on long enough to learn the error of their ways; and if they are bored for those two weeks because they can't get a job even though they have the necessary qualifications, they may decide Shireroth itself is boring and leave.I will also point out that some people have been known to lurk for a few months and learn what is going on before they join. Iain lurked for about six months before joining Treesia and by the time he did so knew more about it than most residents; I think Caesar Augustus did a similar thing in Istvanistan. So the date they submit their immigration form may not be the best measure of their acquaintance with the country. You may argue that lurking doesn't count because acquaintance with the country includes things like being an active participant and doing work - but if that's true, a fourteen day period when you can't do anything just delays that acquaintance.

Gryphon Avocatio

Immigration Restrictions and Such

Post by Gryphon Avocatio »

Okay, so I have been informed that certain immigration restrictions have been removed, namely, all of them. Something about them being unnecessary.Well, after my initial negative reaction I gave it a bit of thought and decided that yes, they are unnecessary. My reasoning is that in this day and age we don't give jobs to newbies anyway simply because we don't trust them. There is no need for a legal restriction banning their holding positions.Of course, if you were trying to reform and say that it's preventing them access to jobs and that it makes it look like we aren't opening our doors, well, I disagree. But don't get me started.There is at least two related reasons I can think of for keeping the immigration restrictions (and one of them is not because i first wrote them, and the other is not that it pops up in some ancient document from the RS).1) It's a PR thing. I think it's good to have a law in place that represents our bias towards non-noobies and makes it look like a law and not us being jerks to noobs; that is, they don't get jobs because we don't give them to them, but maybe we should have a law with it's own reasons as reason. Somehow I'm just more comfortable.2) One complaint that we have heard a lot over the years is that Shireroth has a bunch of unwritten rules. It seems to me that it is a de facto law that we don't give jobs to noobs, even beyond the period of being a minor. Why should we make another unwritten rule? Especially if there are going to be any new citizens?But yes, rewrite them if you bring them back.And I will remake my point when it isn't 3:00am and I can actually be more coherent. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Gryphon Avocatio

Post by Gryphon Avocatio »

You raise valid points. And lurking is a good way to get acquainted.Eh, well, I figured that I should at least say something. When you are all quiet about somehting like that it makes me suspicious. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Immigration restricions were removed mostly because legislation is easier to yell about than de facto laws and inexperience.If that makes any sense. Blindness Is A Blessing

Kaiser Los III

Post by Kaiser Los III »

I don't exactly understand that, but I support the same side as you so hopefully I don't have to.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Translation: People are more apt to yell about legistlation than they are about simply being denied a job on merit. Blindness Is A Blessing

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Requesting declassification per Declassification act of 3742.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Return to “Classified Archives - Declassification of Christmas 2009”