Local Prerogative Bill 3261

A library of bills passed into law by the Landsraad

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

b3n|<3r|\|

Local Prerogative Bill 3261

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

A bit of renovation regarding citizens and an attempt to solve this dispute between me and Mike about the creation of Baronies. He's a lawyer type person, so it makes sense that he's right according to the law. But to me, the current law is wrong! :angry It doesn't accurately depict what goes on in Shireroth. And what's going on is right. So the law must change.

Chapter II. Subdivision
C. Creation

1. Duchies
a. Duchies may be created from Shirithian land by the Kaiser at will.
b. Duchies may by created from Shirithian land by full consensus of the Landsraad.
2. Baronies
a. Baronies may be created from Shirithian land by the Kaiser at will, and placed under any Duchy.
b. Baronies may be created from Shirithian land by a simple majority of the Landsraad. They may be placed under any Duchy with the agreement of its Duke.
c. Baronies may be created from Shirithian land within any Duchy by the Duke of that same Duchy at will.
3. Promotion
a. The procedure for the promotion of a Barony to a Duchy shall follow the criteria and procedures for the creation of a new Duchy.

D. Destruction

1. Duchies
a. A Duchy may be dissolved by the Kaiser at will.
b. A Duchy may be dissolved by full consensus of the Landsraad.
2. Baronies
a. A Barony may be dissolved by the Kaiser at will.
b. A Barony may be dissolved by a simple majority of the Landsraad.
c. A Barony may be dissolved by the Duke of the Duchy in which it exists at will.

E. Criteria for Subdivisions.

1. Criteria for Duchies
a. A Duchy shall consist of at least four (4) Citizens.
b. A Duchy shall consist of at least two (2) Active Citizens.
c. A Duchy shall have at least one (1) resident Non-Noble for each resident Noble.
d. A Duchy shall be ruled by a Duke.
e. A Duchy shall lie within Definite Borders of Shirithian Land.
2. Criteria for Baronies
a. A Barony shall consist of at least two (2) Citizens.
b. A Barony shall consist of at least one (1) Active Citizen.
c. A Barony shall have at least one (1) resident Non-Noble for each resident Noble.
d. A Barony shall be ruled by a Baron.
e. A Barony shall lie within Definite Borders of Shirithian Land, within its sovereign Duchy.
f. A Barony's sovereign Duchy shall meet the Criteria for Duchies.
3. Definitions
a. For purposes of this section, a "Noble" is a Duke or a Baron.
b. For purposes of this section, a "Non-Noble" is a Citizen who is not a Duke or a Baron.
c. For purposes of this section, "Definite Borders" are borders for which there is a definite interior, and from any point on that interior, there is a radius to a boundary for every surface direction. If a subdivision meets a body of water, the boundary in the direction of that body of water need not be quantified, but shall be limited to the extent of the next shore.

E. Official Positions

1. Restriction
a. In order to hold official positions or titles within a subdivision an individual must be a citizen of Shireroth and meet all Census requirements and regulations set down by the Ministry of Immigration and Naturalization.

F. Alliances and Treaties

1. Alliances
a. All Duchies are allied to each other through the Imperial Government.
b. Barons may not make alliances with any other subdivision that is not the Duchy to which they are subordinate.
c. Duchies may not create any manner of alliance with other subdivisions that are not their subordinate.
d. Subdivisions may make no alliance with powers outside of Shireroth.
2. Treaties.
a. Subdivisions may make no treaty with powers outside of Shireroth.
b. Subdivisions may make no treaty with any other subdivision.
c. Subdivisions may make economic or cultural agreements with other subdivisions, which the Kaiser or Landsraad may dissolve at any time.

G. Territories

1. Territories are considered autonomous regions of Shireroth. Each Territory may be granted a forum with its flag and a link to its own board. For all purposes, Territories are considered under the direct supervision of the Kaiser, who may choose to control them directly, or to appoint a Governor. Citizens and Nobles of Territories are considered citizens of Shireroth, and nothing more.

H. Protectorates

1. Protectorates are those states and nations that are under the protection of Shireroth, but remain officially independent. The defense and foreign relations of a Protectorate shall be handled by Shireroth, but internal government shall remain untouched.
2. As an independent nation, a Protectorate is not bound by Chapter IV, Article B of the Lawbook.
3. Any nation granted Protectorate status may choose to have that status lifted at any time after due consultation with the MiniEx and MoMA.
Changes: given Dukes power to mess around with Baronies at whim, removed all the old criteria crap (seriously, do we ever listen to that? Not in the last 2 years) and then moved all the other sections up one letter, just to help out Jonas.
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Hesam Jayatar

Re: Local Prerogative Bill 3261

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

Completely against this. Duchies should have a minimum number of citizens otherwise votes would just be "created" in the Landsraad at a whim. Besides, the current system is an enviable utility.

Liam conToketi

Post by Liam conToketi »

*sigh of relieve*

Straylight just barely qualifies as a Duchy by those standards...

I'll hold on to my vote for the time being...

Hesam Jayatar

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

Yeah, messing with the Ducal system is taboo in my opinion.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Brookshire will be disbanded then. I think. Or would have been.

And all Brookshire's baronies will have to go.

Liam conToketi

Post by Liam conToketi »

Oi! In that case, let this pass! No Duchies will be disbanded on my watch!

Straylight votes AYE

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Brookshire oddly Abstains.

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

Duke Hasan Kalir wrote:Completely against this. Duchies should have a minimum number of citizens otherwise votes would just be "created" in the Landsraad at a whim. Besides, the current system is an enviable utility.
That whole section is a ridiculous relic. Of course, it is a good idea to have criteria for Duchies and Baronies - but not in terms of numbers of citizens. Hasan, you joined after Babkha and Shireroth revived (hell, maybe you caused it :p) but in the time I've been here Shireroth has half-died twice. When I first started hanging around, there could have been no Duchies, or one at most. In this day and age, they don't fit.

We trust the Landsraad not to do lots of crazy stuff. Now we can add to the list of crazy stuff it should not do, "Create loads of Duchies/votes".

If this bill is rejected because of the criteria, I will be sorry. The main change to me is the Duke's power to create Baronies, the current law concerning which (much like the criteria in this respect) is generally ignored.

Of course, Yardistan votes AYE.

Edit: Please check the Landsraad Front Gate to read up on the wisdom of the Finns with specific regard to this bill if you are still considering voting Nay...
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Hesam Jayatar

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

Ok, I read the backgrounder and I think I understand the bill a bit more, so I'm changing my opinion from "Completely Against This" to "Narrow Eyed and Skeptical".

My concern is that removing ALL definitions and qualifications of a Duchy will be obused. I think we should still have certain qualifiers so why not simply re-address the definition? Perhaps in the case of longstanding Duchies we can grandfather them?

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Kildare votes Aye.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Hesam Jayatar

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

I guess it passed then.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Aye: 3
Nay: 0
Abstain: 2
"Narrow Eyed and Skeptical".

This means abstain, doesn't it?

Approved
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

technically it means nothing, as it's not a clear Aye or Nay. Or abstain.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Erik Mortis wrote:technically it means nothing, as it's not a clear Aye or Nay. Or abstain.
Pff. It's approved, even if it's Nay.

Return to “Landsraad Passed Bills”