Anti-Recess Bill 3236

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Erik Mortis

Anti-Recess Bill 3236

Post by Erik Mortis »

The following part of the Lawbook shall be modified to remove Clause 2, sub-clause a and c, move sub-clauses b into Clause 1, and remove Clause 2 outright.

Chapter IV: The Landsraad
B: Recesses

1. Voluntary Recess
a. The Landsraad may dissolve itself by a majority vote.
b. The Landsraad may specify in this vote a date upon which it will be reconvened, and that date shall be legally valid.
2. Mandatory Recess
a. On December 25th until January 2nd and July 1st until the July 8th, the Landsraad will be in Recess.
b. All bills on the floor shall be frozen until the Landsraad comes back into session.
c. The Landsraad may make their own procedure about what happens to bills during recess.
Resulting with:
Chapter IV: The Landsraad
B: Recesses

1. Voluntary Recess
a. The Landsraad may dissolve itself by a majority vote.
b. The Landsraad may specify in this vote a date upon which it will be reconvened, and that date shall be legally valid.
c. All bills on the floor shall be frozen until the Landsraad comes back into session.
(As Emissary of Brookshire I can do this)

Jonas

Re: Anti-Recess Bill 3236

Post by Jonas »

I don't see why we would get reces...
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

This law dates back to the Summer of '05(?) when things in the Landsraad got reallllllllly crazy. That was the time when we had about 15 bills a week for a while, and when a LOT of old timers burned out. This was put in place to help give the Landsraad a break. It was a bad idea, the mandatory part.

I'm just removing the mandatory recess part. But it is nice to have the option to close down the Landsraad for a while if we want. I see no real reason to take out that option.

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

Could we make it so that during the dissolution vote a date to reconvene *must* be specified... I don't want to see the Landsraad closed 4eva.
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

b3n|<3r|\| wrote:Could we make it so that during the dissolution vote a date to reconvene *must* be specified... I don't want to see the Landsraad closed 4eva.
I don't see that as a problem. We might pass idiotic things occasionally, but at least we shouldn't manage to unintentionally dissolve the Landsraad forever... hopefully...

Straylight AYE.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Brookshire Aye.

(Agreed, that was the point. The Landsraad can make itself go away if it wants, or needs to)

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

Yardistan votes Nay. I want to see a "must" rather than a "may" in sub-clause b.
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO

It takes moo to mango!

Harald of Froyalan

Post by Harald of Froyalan »

Froyalan votes Nay.
Harald of Ettlingar Freyu
Count of Cimmeria

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Why is that such a big deal? It just puts a random and meaningless restriction on the Landsraad, that you wish to impose. And if this isn't passed the Landsraad will be automatically dismissed in a week or so.

And wouldn't you as a duke have the good judgment to insist on a reinstatement of the Landsraad anyways?

As it stands Kildare will be the deciding vote.

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

Erik, there may come a time when me and all the sane Dukes of Shireroth go missing for enough time for the Landsraad to be closed and damage dealt to Shireroth somehow (I don't know how exactly, but subverters of the state - intentional or no - tend to be quite inventive).

I wouldn't really call it much of a restriction... it's a tiny little thing to ensure the stability of the Landsraad. The nobles of Shireroth really should be able to take 5 minutes to decide when they are going to reconvene in a dissolution vote.

It takes moo to mango!

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

That's what the Kaiser is for. The Landsraad can do whatever it wants, and in the end, it won't truly matter. The Kaiser can just bring it back. That's the safe guard, always has been, and always will be.

The Landsraad is just an extra body, for when times are good. If it's dumb enough to "permanently" do away with itself, then it deserves to be gone. Cause if it's being THAT dumb, it probably is better it's not around.

And yes, they should be able to take 5 minutes.. but what if for some reason they don't want to come back to session? What if as part of some larger change, they decided to dissolve until, say, the Kaiser can create a new body, or a new Charter.. or something. We've done it before. The Kaiser has dissolved the Landsraad as part of the process of a large change. Why shouldn't the Landsraad be allowed to dissolve itself?

I just see it as a needless restriction on something that may be an option someday. Not sure at this time when it might truly be needed, but that's the point of not restricting, you never know.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Kildare votes NAY.

Disapproved.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Return to “Landsraad Archives”