Restoring "Old Feudalism" Act

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Hypatia Agnesi

Restoring "Old Feudalism" Act

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

This bill cleans up the previous version originally posted by Greg Russell. His version did not change any of the nobilty sections, so I added those. This version also removes voting priviledges for Counts, and restores subdivision and voting rules to what they were before the county-based system was introduced (or at least something similar). I would like to start voting by the 25th, so please post comments and I can edit it as soon as possible.

This bill will change the following sections:

1.3 Chapter II: Subdivisions
1.3.1 A. Types
1.3.1.1 1. Counties
1.3.1.2 2. Baronies and Duchies
1.3.2 B. Nobles
1.3.3 C. Creation
1.3.3.1 1. Counties
1.3.3.2 2. Baronies
1.3.3.3 3. Duchies
1.3.3.4 4. Definitions
1.3.4 D. Destruction
1.3.4.1 1. Destruction by Dissolution
1.3.4.2 2. Destruction by Order
1.3.5 E. Criteria for Subdivisions
1.3.5.1 1. Criteria for Baronies
1.3.5.2 2. Criteria for Duchies
1.3.5.3 3. Definitions
1.4: Chapter III: Nobles
1.4.5 C. Barons
1.4.5 D. Dukes
1.4.5 E. Appointing and Removing Barons
1.4.5 F. Appointing and Removing Dukes
1.4.9 H. Multiple Titles of Nobility
1.4.9 I. Landsraad Votes

Change:
Chapter II: Subdivisions
A. Types
1. Counties
a. The lands of Shireroth shall be divided up into subdivisions known as Counties.

2. Baronies and Duchies
a. These lands may be joined up through alliances between Counts to form Baronies and Duchies.

B. Nobles
a. Duchies shall be ruled by a Lesser Noble known as a Duke or Duchess.

b. Baronies shall be ruled by a Lesser Noble known as a Baron or Baroness.

c. Counties shall be ruled by a Minor Noble known as a Count or Countess.

C. Creation
1. Counties
a. Counties may be created from a division of previously existing land by the Kaiser, the local lord or another empowered authority.

b. Counties may also be created from the division of newly annexed land by the above authorities.

2. Baronies
a. A Barony may be created from the alliance of two or more Counties, up to a maximum of four. At five Counties, the Barony may become a Duchy.

b. In this case, it must be stipulated in the alliance contract of the new Barony exactly who the Baron or Baroness will be.

3. Duchies
a. Duchies may be created through the alliance of two or more Baronies, or the alliance of five or more Counties.

b. In this case, it must be stipulated in the alliance contract of the new Duchy exactly who the Duke or Duchess will be.

4. Definitions
a. For the purposes of this section, "Shirithian Land" shall be meant as any land owned or controlled by the Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth or their fief lords.
b. For the purposes of this section, "Newly Annexed Land" shall be meant as any land which has been owned or controlled by the Imperial Republic of Shireroth for no more than one Shirithian Week (14 Days).

D. Destruction
1. Destruction by Dissolution
a. If a Barony goes below the minimum amount of Counties needed for its formation (2), then it will be dissolved, unless a replacement County can be found within three days. Any remaining Counties will become independent after the destruction, and the Baron will lose their title.

b. If a Duchy goes below the minimum amount of Counties needed for its formation (4) then it will be dissolved, unless enough Counties to make up the minimum amount required can be found within three days. Any remaining Counties and Baronies will become independent after the destruction, and the Duke will lose their title.

2. Destruction by Order
a. If just cause has been proposed for the dissolution of a Barony, then it can be dissolved by a majority vote in the Landsraad, or by order of the Kaiser. The Baron will lose their title, and all constituent Counties will become independent.

b. If just cause has been proposed for the dissolution of a Duchy, then it can be dissolved by a majority vote in the Landsraad, or by order of the Kaiser. The Duke will lose their title, and all constituent Barones and Counties will become independent.

E. Criteria for Subdivisions
1. Criteria for Baronies
a. A Barony shall consist of at least two (2) previously independent Counties, up to a maximum of four (4) previously independent Counties.

b. A Barony shall consist of at least one (1) Active Citizen.

c. A Barony shall be ruled by a Baron or Baroness.

d. A Barony shall lie within Definite Borders of Shirithian Land.

e. If a Barony becomes part of a Duchy, then that Duchy must meet the criteria for Duchies as outlined below.

f. Before the formation of a Barony, an alliance contract must be drawn up and posted in the Noble Commons.

2. Criteria for Duchies
a. A Duchy shall consist of at least two (2) previously independent Baronies or five (5) previously independent Counties.

b. A Duchy shall consist of at least three (3) Active Citizens.

c. A Duchy shall be ruled by a Duke or Duchess.

d. A Duchy shall lie within Definite Borders of Shirithian Land.

e. Before the formation of a Duchy, an alliance contract must be drawn up between the highest-ranking nobles within the fiefdoms to be allied, and presented to the Imperial Arbiter for inspection. A copy must also be posted in the Noble Commons.

3. Definitions
a. For purposes of this section, "Definite Borders" are borders for which there is a definite interior, and from any point on that interior, there is a radius to a boundary for every surface direction. If a subdivision meets a body of water, the boundary in the direction of that body of water need not be quantified, but shall be limited to the extent of the next shore.

Chapter III: Nobles

C. Barons
1. Independent Barons

a. Powers Granted

i. Any independent Baron has complete power to do whatever he wishes within his Barony, within his restrictions.
ii. Any independent Baron may place restrictions upon Counts within his Barony.
iii. Any independent Baron may speak within the Landsraad and vote with the amount of votes allowed to him.

b. Restrictions

i. No independent Baron may violate Imperial law.
ii. No independent Baron may conduct significant foreign policy.
iii. No independent Baron may call for the overthrow of the government without just cause.
iv. No independent Baron may secede from Shireroth.
v. An independent Baron's powers affect only his Barony and those within.

2. Subservient Barons

a. Powers Granted

i. Any subservient Baron has complete power to do whatever he wishes within his Barony, within the restrictions imposed by his Duke.
ii. Any subservient Baron may speak within the Landsraad, and may also vote, provided that his liege Duke has given him votes, as either stipulated in the alliance contract or as a reward.

b. Restrictions

i. A Baron may not do any of the things denied to his Duke.
ii. No Baron may violate any restrictions placed upon him by his Duke.
iii. A subservient Baron's powers affect only his Barony and those within.

D. Dukes
1. Powers granted

a. Any Duke has complete power to do whatever he wishes within his Duchy, within his restrictions.
b. Any Duke may place restrictions upon Barons and Counts within his Duchy.
c. Any Duke may speak within the Landsraad, and vote with the amount of votes allotted to him.

2. Restrictions

a. No Duke may violate Imperial law without just cause.
b. No Duke may conduct significant foreign policy.
c. No Duke may call for the overthrow of the government.
d. No Duke may secede from Shireroth.
e. A Duke's powers affect only his Duchy and those within.

E. Appointing and Removing Barons

1. At the alliance of two or more Counties into a Barony, a Baron must be chosen, and this choice stipulated in the alliance contract. This Baron must nominate a successor upon accessing their new position. This successor may or may not become a Joint Noble, according to the Baron's personal choice.
2. If this Baron cannot perform their duties, or is deemed unable to perform them by the Kaiser, or breaks the laws of Shireroth, then they shall be removed in favour of their successor. They will be demoted to Count. This demotion will take place through the Imperial Judex.

F. Appointing and Removing Dukes

1. At the alliance of two or more Baronies, or of five or more Counties, into a Duchy, a Duke must be chosen, and this choice stipulated in the alliance contract. This Duke must nominate a successor upon accessing their new position. This successor may or may not become a Joint Noble, according to the Duke's personal choice.
2. If this Duke cannot perform their duties, or is deemed unable to perform them by the Kaiser, or breaks the laws of Shireroth, then they shall be removed in favour of their successor. They will be demoted to Baron or Count, depending on the circumstance. This demotion will take place through the Imperial Judex.

H. Multiple Titles of Nobility

1. No Shirerithian shall rule over more than one County without an alliance contract being established.
2. A Baron is still Count of their home County.
3. A Duke is still Baron and Count of their home Barony and home County respectively.

I. Landsraad Votes

1. The Landsraad shall consist of the Greater Nobility of Shireroth.
2. A non-subservient Baron receives one vote for each County within Zir fiefdom (including zir own County) and one extra vote for owning the title of Baron. This is to a maximum of five votes per independent Baron.
3. A Duke receives one vote for every County within zir Duchy, one vote for every subservient Barony within zir Duchy (not counting zir own), an extra two votes for being a Duke, and also receives the pre-alliance votes of zir subservient Barons. These last votes may be leased or gifted back to the subservient Baron according to the contract written up between the two Nobles upon allying
4. Counts are not permitted to speak unless authority is granted because of a position of theirs such as Minister.

To
Chapter II: Subdivisions
A. Types
1. Duchies
a. The lands of Shireroth shall be divided up into subdivisions known as Duchies.

2. Baronies and Counties
a. These lands may be formed under the authority and permision of the ruling duke.

B. Nobles
a. Duchies shall be ruled by a Lesser Noble known as a Duke or Duchess.

b. Baronies shall be ruled by a Lesser Noble known as a Baron or Baroness.

c. Counties shall be ruled by a Minor Noble known as a Count or Countess.

C. Creation
1. Duchies
a. Duchies may be created from a division of previously existing land by the Kaiser, the local lord or another empowered authority.
b. Duchies may also be created from the division of newly annexed land by the above authorities.

2. Baronies
a. Baronies may be formed with the permission of the ruling duke in the duchy for the purposes of allowing votes in the Landsraad.

3. Counties
a. Counties may be formed with the permission of the ruling baron (and duke) in the barony which it is to be formed in for the purposes of allowing a personal domain in which to create culture.

4. Definitions
a. For the purposes of this section, "Shirithian Land" shall be meant as any land owned or controlled by the Kaiser of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth or their fief lords.
b. For the purposes of this section, "Newly Annexed Land" shall be meant as any land which has been owned or controlled by the Imperial Republic of Shireroth for no more than one Shirithian Week (14 Days).

D. Destruction

1. If just cause has been proposed for the dissolution of a duchy, barony, or county, it may be dissolved by Imperial decree and its ruling noble removed. The Landsraad may pass by simple majority a resolution recognizing the just cause for the dissolution of this subdivision, which may be presented to the Kaiser, but this resolution does not carry the weight of Imperial Law.
a. Only a Kaiserial decree may dissolve a duchy. The Kaiser shall determine the status of constituent baronies and counties and the status of their respective rulers.
b. A barony may be dissolved by either a Kaiserial decree or a decree by the ruling duke. The duke shall determine the status of constituent counties and their respective counts.
c. A county may be dissolved by a Kaiserial decree, a decree by the ruling duke, or a decree by the ruling baron (with the duke's approval).

2. Re-absorption
a. The lands of a dissolved county shall be re-absorbed into its ruling barony.
b. The lands of a dissolved barony and its constituent counties shall be reabsorbed into its ruling barony.
c. The lands of a dissolved duchy and its constituent baronies and counties shall be brought under direct control of the Kaiser immediately. The Kaiser may then divide up the lands and subdivisions among neighboring duchies. Lesser nobles and joint nobles lose any votes they may have been granted by their duke.

3. The Landsraad may pass a resolution recommending the dissolution of a subdivision for any of the following reasons, though others exist:
a. Inactivity within its forum for more than 1 Shirerithian week (14 days), and no contact has been possible with any residents of that subdivision. It is recommended that at least 3 Shirerithian weeks shall have passed with no contact from the duke before a Duchy is dissolved.
b. Illegal or otherwise outrageous behavior on the part of the ruling noble.
c. Emmigration or disappearance of most or all of the the subdivision's residents. The Landsraad may interpret this clause as it sees fit.

E. Criteria for Subdivisions

1. Criteria for Duchies
a. A duchy shall constist of at least three (3) active citizens
b. A Duchy shall be ruled by a Duke or Duchess.
c. A Duchy shall lie within Definite Borders of Shirithian Land.

2. Criteria for Baronies
a. A barony shall consist of at least one (1) active citizen.
b. A barony shall be ruled by a baron or baroness
c. A barony shall lie within definite borders of Shirerithian land.

3. Criteria for Counties
a. A county shall consist of at least one(1) active citizen.
b. A county shall be ruled by a count or countess
c. A county shall lie within definite borders of Shirerithian land.

Chapter III: Nobles

C. Barons

1. Powers granted
a. Any baron has complete power to do whatever he wishes within his barony, within the restrictions imposed by his duke or the Lawbook. This includes creating counties and appointing counts.
b. Any baron may speak within the Landsraad, and may also vote, provided that his duke has given him votes.

2. Restrictions
a. A baron may not do any of the things denied to his duke.
b. No baron may violate any restrictions placed upon him by his duke.
c. A baron's powers affect only his barony and those within.

D. Dukes

1. Powers granted
a. Any duke has complete power to do whatever he wishes within his duchy, within restrictions imposed by the Kaiser or the Lawbook. This power includes creating baronies and counties, and appointing barons and counts.
c. A duke may speak within the Landsraad and vote with the amount of votes allotted to him. He may give some of his votes to any baron or joint noble beneath him if he wishes.

2. Restrictions
a. No duke may violate Imperial Law without just cause.
b. No duke may conduct significant foreign policy.
c. No due may call for the overthrow of the government.
d. No duke may secede from Shireroth.
e. A duke's powers affect only his duchy and those within.

E. Appointing and Removing Barons

1. When a new barony is formed within a duchy or when the leadership of an existing barony becomes vacant, the duke must choose a baron to rule it from among the citizens residing in that duchy.
2. The duke may choose to replace the baron at any time, at his discretion.
3. A baron my choose his own successor, who must be approved by the ruling duke, and may designate this successor as a joint noble and subject to the laws regarding joint nobility.
4. If this baron cannot perform his duties, or is deemed unable to perform them by the Kaiser, or breaks the laws of Shireroth, then they shall be removed in favor of their successor, if one is named.
5. If the barony is dissolved, the baron is removed.

F. Appointing and Removing Dukes

1. When a new duchy is formed or when the leadership of an existing duchy becomes vacant, the Kaiser must choose a duke to rule it from among the citizens of Shireroth, subject to restrictions on multiple titles of nobility found in Chapter III, paragraph H.
2. The Kaiser may choose to replace the duke at any time, at his discretion.
3. A duke may choose his own successor, and may designate this successor as a joint noble an subject to the laws regarding joint nobility.
4. If this duke cannot perform his duties, or is deemed unable to perform them by the Kaiser, or breaks the laws of Shirerth, then they shall be removed in favor of their successor, if one is named.
5. If the duchy is dissolved, the duke is removed.

H. Multiple Titles of Nobility

1. No Shirerithian shall rule over more than one duchy.
2. No Shirerithian shall rule over any two baronies.
3. No Shirerithian shall rule over any two baronies or counties that lie in different duchies, or over two counties that lie in different baronies.
4. A duke may maintain the title of his home barony and county, if he so wishes, and a baron may maintain the title of his home county.
5. The Kaiser may maintain any of his old noble titles while in office.

I. Landsraad Votes

1. The basic unit of vote allocation is the duchy.
2. A duke is allotted 10 votes, which he may distribute to his subservient barons and joint nobles, subject to the following restrictions:
a. The total number of votes granted to a barons and his joint nobles must be less than those kept by the duke.
b. The duke may give any votes not given to barons and their joint nobles to his own joint noble, if he chooses.

National Picketer
Hypatia's Mom's Daughter
M.I.A.

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

Hurray!! *hugs*

andelarion

Post by andelarion »

Good work.

But before we start voting, what are the voting arrangements at the moment? :p

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

I believe that currently every citizen has 1 vote, something which I hope will end with this bill. Having 1 vote per citizen makes checking for quorum near impossible.

In my opinion, once we start voting on this we should give it the full voting period, collect whichever votes are cast, and act on those. We'll see how many people care enough to vote.

And Wolvin's the Praetor, right?
National Picketer
Hypatia's Mom's Daughter
M.I.A.

andelarion

Post by andelarion »

Alright then. I move for a vote on this.

H4773r 3lfs0n
Location: In -The Spirit of Saldena- a 1/4 mile above the Barony of Vorpmadal

Post by H4773r 3lfs0n »

so in my case would i Only get 5 votes which i may or may not give to a steward or some such. yes?

or is this meant to make me start a duchy so i can have votes?

im not entirely clear. other than that i like it.
Elder of Vorpmadal, Lunaris & Lac Glacei & Concurrent Lands
"Blessed" of Melvin and High Preist of B00/\/\ism
ACE and P.h.D. in M.U.K.A.R.C.T.A.O.S.E.N.

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

Implicit in the passage of this bill is the fact that the Kaiseress would need to recreate the duchies and have the new dukes fix everything up the way they wish. I would estimate that would take less than a week, if everyone is paying attention.
National Picketer
Hypatia's Mom's Daughter
M.I.A.

WolvinX84

Post by WolvinX84 »

Let the voting begin!
Count of Modan-Lach
Let the dream of confusion lead you into the virgin light.

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

I vote Aye - 1 (or whatever it is I have right now).
National Picketer
Hypatia's Mom's Daughter
M.I.A.

andelarion

Post by andelarion »

Aye vote I.

H4773r 3lfs0n
Location: In -The Spirit of Saldena- a 1/4 mile above the Barony of Vorpmadal

Post by H4773r 3lfs0n »

yea (1)
Elder of Vorpmadal, Lunaris & Lac Glacei & Concurrent Lands
"Blessed" of Melvin and High Preist of B00/\/\ism
ACE and P.h.D. in M.U.K.A.R.C.T.A.O.S.E.N.

WolvinX84

Post by WolvinX84 »

Aye, 1.

Right. I believe I allowed enough time for this to be voted on..

It passes! 4-0.
Count of Modan-Lach

WolvinX84

Post by WolvinX84 »

Someone will have to update the microwiki for me. I have no access to the page with the lawbook.
Count of Modan-Lach

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

Yay!
National Picketer
Hypatia's Mom's Daughter
M.I.A.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

To the Archive with it! :)
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Return to “Landsraad Archives”