IMPLIED REPEAL: Arguments

The judiciary, for settling disputes and feudal contracts

Moderator: CJ Miller

Malliki

IMPLIED REPEAL: Arguments

Post by Malliki »

There has been some discussion about the phenomenon called implied repeal. I will here hear any arguments both in favor and in opposition to allowing such a practice. I will listen and then deliver my decision on the issue. Any person may speak here, this is as close to a non-formal thread you can come in the Imperial Judex.
His Grace the Lord Brookshire, LK GMNS
Arbiter, Imperial Judex
Duke of Brookshire, Baron of Lakhesis
Knight of the Dragon
Fan of SOAD

b3n|<3r|\|

Re: IMPLIED REPEAL: Arguments

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

The Charter gives the Landsraad has legislative powers, i.e. the power to make and pass law.

That's about the long and short of it. There is nothing in the Charter or the Lawbook to support or refute Implied Repeal.

Except...

The Landsraad has the ability to override its laws because each law passed is recorded in the statutes, and no two conflicting laws exist in the statutes because the later one is written as an edit of the section relating to that matter, right?

Well... what if we forgot? Or didn't know about the old section? Or lost it? Like here?

Implied repeal has in actual fact been practised in Shireroth before in this way... we said, "Here is the Lawbook. This is the latest version we have. This is now the Lawbook. Anything else, ce n'est pas."

The latest acts f the Landsraad takes precedence. We need to formalise this in the form of the doctrine that NO LANDSRAAD SESSION MAY BIND ITS SUCCESSOR, like in the UK. It's already there... the non-binding stuff is already there... implied repeal is already there... we just have to codify it.
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Erik Mortis

Re: IMPLIED REPEAL: Arguments

Post by Erik Mortis »

But in cases of replacing the Lawbook we edited the law in doing so. Implied Repeal has no legal procedures. Anyone could do anythingay it's "Implied repeal". If for no other reason, it will just further confusion about what is, and is not law.

If Implied Repeal were practiced then no law or procedure the Landsraad instated would matter or be binding. The Landsraad could set some procedure for itself, and then do to some oversight, or deliberate act, by Implied Repeal remove that procedures.

If the Landsraad intended for an action to edit the Lawbook, it must say so. It even says in one of our documents that all law must be recorded in the lawbook. And we just passed a law saying if it's not in the Lawbook, it doesn't exist.

Implied repeal opens up to much space for legal weirdness, confusion and potential abuse.

(if my arguments aren't as coherent as they should be.. I blame the fact I was cooking with wine, and thus sampled some.....)

Return to “Imperial Judex”