Character Stats: Template (Draft)

Phoenix the Risen

Character Stats: Template (Draft)

Post by Phoenix the Risen »

Okay... these sheets are if you feel confined by the free-form RPGness and want to use some die-rolling and stat-point action. Now I've gotten bored with all the standard D&D stat names, so I decided to make up some of my own, in true KingomofLoathing style. There follows at the bottom of this document an explanation of the stats.As for filling out this sheet with your numbers and stuff, there are a few simple rules:1) No Stat may be higher than 202) No Stat may be lower than 1 (don't see why you'd want it to be anyways)3) The sum of the products of the Stat Likelyhoods and the sums of their respective Stats shall not exceed 1,800. For those of you who are not math majors, I shall use the first three letters of each stat in this formula:(((Pow + Mag + Aim + Def + Cle + Dod) * ADD) + ((Str + God + Dex + Thi + Har + Gym) * Inn) + ((Mus + Vol + Fin + Ada + Rad + Jum) * Fla)) Do not post your character sheets in this thread! This thread is for the discussion of this format. I will start a thread for character bios and one for character sheets hopefully by the end of the week. Right now, I just want feedback.State 1: ApatheticPowerfulness:Magicality:Aiming:Defenditude:Cleverty:Dodginess:ADD:State 2. AwareStrengthitude:Godliness:Dextrose:ThickHeadedness:HarryPottering:Gymnasty:Inner Eye:State 3: BerserkMuscularity:Voldemorty:Fingers:Adamantium:Radar:Jumpiness:Flammability:Stat Explanation:The first stat is your Strength. This is basically a scale of how much it hurts someone when you hit him with a blunt object. This is also a gauge of how much crap you can carry at once, how heavy a weapon you can use, et cetera.The second stat is your Magic. This is basically an inverted scale of how many tries it takes to get frogs to come out of the -other- guy's mouth. It's also a gauge of how many spells you can use (per turn and total), how much each spell hurts them, how much each spell hurts you (mana-wise), et cetera.The third stat is your Dexterity. This is, bluntly spoken, how many times out of twenty you actually make it in the toilet (for us guys, at least). If this stat is beneath about five, chances are you have zipper marks on some precious extremeties. This is a measurement of your abilities to handle weapons, hit the guy you're aiming for, and also to pick locks or defuse a bomb, et cetera.**With a high level of Dexterity, you may even be able to use multiple weapons at once... or even with your feet or teeth**The fourth stat is your Defense. This stat is basically the counter to your opponent's Strength. It's a measurement of how many hits over the head you can take before a) falling unconscious, or b) winding up with a cracked skull. It also measures the number of tries it takes to actually reach a vein when getting a vaccination or giving blood, how long you can hold your breath underwater, et cetera.The fifth stat is your Resistance. It's basically the counter to your opponent's Magic level. It's an inverted scale of the number of seconds you have to think before you realize that "oh my god... that dude has a thing against me!" It's also a measurement of the likelyhood that you can counter, or even send his spell back at him, et cetera.The sixth stat is your Agility. In case you didn't get the pattern, this stat is the counter to your opponent's Dexterity. Basically, the higher this number, the closer you are to becoming Neo from The Matrix. It measures how likely you are to dodge an attack or dart between someone's legs without getting killed, et cetera.The final stat is the State Likelyhood. Your stats are split between three states: Apathy, Awareness, and Berserker. The State Likelyhood of all three should add up to 20. Your State Likelyhood number is on a 1d20 roll, how many numbers will give you those stats. Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Kaiser Mors III

Re: Character Stats: Template (Draft)

Post by Kaiser Mors III »

I don't quite get the States...Maybe a sample character would be useful... ((Edit: Deleted irrelevant comments)) Mortis BrookshireKaiser of ShirerothEdited by: Phoenix the Risen at: 12/10/03 7:50 pm

Phoenix the Risen

Okay, the states are so that you don't have to remake your character every time you want to alter your stats. Also, it allows for a sort of "Critical Hit" type function. Here is an example:State 1: ApatheticPowerfulness: 8Magicality: 4Aiming: 14Defenditude: 12Cleverty: 13Dodginess: 18ADD: 3((Points: (8+4+14+12+13+18)*3 = 207 ))State 2. AwareStrengthitude: 14Godliness: 6Dextrose: 15ThickHeadedness: 10HarryPottering: 15Gymnasty: 12Inner Eye: 5((Points: (14+6+15+10+15+12)*5 = 380))State 3: BerserkMuscularity: 16Voldemorty: 20Fingers: 18Adamantium: 17Radar: 19Jumpiness: 11Flammability: 12((Points: (16+20+18+17+19+11)*12 = 1212))Total Points: 1799So for this character, I've almost maxed out the stats. It took a bit of math and some backtracing, but the end result turned out positive.Each time an action involves this character (or possibly just his own actions - I haven't decided yet), a twenty sided die will be rolled.On a 1, 2, or 3, his stats will be those in his Apathetic state.On a 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, his stats will be those in his Aware state.On a 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20, his stats will be those in his Berserk state.The Apathetic state for this character is a defensive state. When this character is apathetic about battle, little can phase him. Unfortunately, he can't do much damage himself, as he has little will to do so.The Aware state for this character is pretty much neutral. All the stats are near the average (15), but just a bit under to allow for higher stats in his strongest state.The Berserker state for this character is his most common state. He's easily enraged, and gets into the swing of battle with little preparation. All his stats are quite high, except for Agility, since he really doesn't need to be able to dodge when he's in this state.Since his Berserker state is his most common state, when confronting this guy in battle it would be wise to prepare for this state. You would probably want to use hit-dependent killshots or status-affecting moves/items rather than depending on dealing damage.Does this help at all? Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Kaiser Mors III

Yeah.. but.. sounds like ALOT of work... Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

Phoenix the Risen

Step 1: the easiest way to do it is to start with your Inner Eye at 20, ADD and Flammability at 0, and every other stat at 15, then determine how often you want to be in each state. Set your ADD, Inner Eye, and Flammability accordingly (remember they have to add up to 20).Step 2: Once you have that figured out, decide what stats you want to be dominant in each state. Move points around within the individual states (but keep the same equilibrium: for every point you deduct from a Berserker stat, add one to another Berserker stat, for every point you add to an Awareness stat, deduct one from another Awareness stat). This will require no recalculations whatsoever.Step 3: Now you can rebalance states relative to eachother. This is where you have to start keeping track of numbers. Make yourself a little pool (like write the numbers in notepad, or use tallies or something) For every point you deduct from an Apathy stat, add your ADD level to your pool (for example, if your ADD level is 3, and you want to take six Apathy stats, add 18 to your pool). Similar goes for Awareness/Inner Eye and Berserker/Flammability. Then if you want to add a point, say to a Berserker stat, subtract your Flammability from your pool (so if you have 18 in your pool and your Flammability is 12, then when you add to your Voldemorty one point, you're left with 6 in your pool). Fiddle around with the numbers until you get something that looks okay.Repeat steps 2 and 3 as many times as needed, but if you change your numbers from step 1, then it's up to you how you're going to get the math right.Step 4: Check your Math. Take the sum of your Apathy stat levels, and multiply it by your ADD level. Take the sum of your Awareness stat levels, and multiply it by your Inner Eye level. Take the sum of your Berserker stat levels, and multiplyl it by your Flammability level. Now add these three numbers together. Subtract the result from 1800 and this is how many points you have in your pool. If it is negative, you need to take a point or so off a stat. If it is positive, you've got some leeway.Step 5: Make up some reasoning so that you can explain to other people why it is exactly that you have Maximum stats 75% of the time (this is the maximum base percentage for MaxStats).((P.S. I wouldn't reccomend the setup hinted at in Step 5, since the other 25% of the time, you're completely useless, and completely vulnerable. Chances are, if you try to attack something in that position, you'll end up slipping on your own urine, coughing up slugs, being crushed beneath the weight of the slugs on your lightweight armor, breaking all your bones, then sit there prone while your opponent delivers the final blow - - a breath of air... not a pretty way to die...)) Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Kaiser Mors III

Maybe you might wanna make it a lil simpler.. Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

I agree. Especially for a place like here, where we don't have complex dice scripts and whatnot and character sheets on hand all the time, having such complex rules is more of a hindrance than a help. The problem with coming up with a rules system for play-by-post RPing is that anything that affects the other character (i.e. dodging, having the other player roll dice, etc etc) will take too long in between posts to be any fun. Thus, I propose the following system:You have the following stats:Hit Points (HP): Taking damage makes them go down. When they reach 0, you are knocked out. If they reach the negative of their original value, you are killed.Attack Power (ATK): The basis for your damage.Defense (DEF): Reduces how much damage you take.Dexterity (DEX): How accurate your attacks are.You get 12 points to distribute among the stats. Kaisers and former Kaisers get an extra 1 point for being intimidating. No stat can go below one. Thus, the maximum total for any one stat is 9 (12 starting points - (1 point each * 3 stats)), or 10 for Kaisers. The average for any stat is 3.HP works a little differently than the other stats. For example, any points you assign to it count as double (so if you put 4 points into HP it becomes . This is so characters won't die almost instantly. This also means that the average for HP is 6 and the max is 18, or 20 for Kaisers.When you attack, you roll a 1d6, (a 6-sided die -- I like this web-based roller: invisiblecastle.com/rollform.php ) and if it's lower than or equal to your DEX, you hit (thus the maximum effective score for DEX is actually 6). You then do damage equal to your ATK minus your opponent's DEF, minimum 1. The damage is subtracted from your opponent's HP. If you miss, of course, no damage is dealt. Here's an example:- Mr. A (HP:6 ATK:3 DEF:4 DEX:3) attacks Mr. B (HP:8 ATK:4 DEF:1 DEX:3). - Mr. A rolls a 1d6 and gets a 2. Since 2 -Mr. B takes damage equal to Mr. A's ATK (3) minux Mr. B's DEF (1), so Mr. B takes 2 damage (3-1=2). Mr. B's HP goes down 2 to 6.-Mr. B decides to attack Mr. A back, so he rolls a 1d6. Mr. B rolls a 4, so Mr. B's attack misses and deals no damage.This is a really simple system but I think it will be effective for those of you who want to use stats. Of course, you can always throw in things like special attacks which count your ATK as double, or something like that, so long as it's within reason.

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

That sounds good to me... even if I am still slightly confused, but that could just be my tiredness...How do we know people aren't lying though? Mayhaps have an unbiased moderator (or two) roll the die and tell them of the outcome...?

Phoenix the Risen

note these are just for the stats themselves, the actual battle system will be decided on a more complex scale...also, if I got some help from mDuo, I could write a program for rolling dice that would save a history list of so long. Each time you roll a die, you would input your character name, and the action for which you are rolling the die (as well as the number of dice and type). It would record all of these statistics along with the outcome on the history sheet. It wouldn't be too difficult a task... we could probably genkh some source code from a flooble app or two if need be, but I don't think it will come to that.In the meanwhile, mDuo, I give you permission to start a thread for character stats under your system. Please if you do, tell in the thread what each stat is used for, and give a template sheet with an explanation of how the stats should be determined. I'll update the thread title and data when time comes for the need. Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Kaiser Mors III

I like the simpler system. And weapons and armor can give bonuses to def and atk Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

My favorite system for these kinds of loose abstract situations is http://www.mimgames.com/window/ because it lends itself well to being used in conjunction with a heavily story-based type of thing.

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

I'm liking this "Window" thing. But, we'll have to figure out a way to play it without the Storyteller. It shouldn't be too hard.

SSFSX17

Post by SSFSX17 »

The fundamental concept is that people can at least eyeball the odds and have a pretty good idea of what the odds are like. In fact, they can just describe the characters involved, and this will inherently describe the character's stats just by looking at the descriptions.

Return to “Fiefdom Archive - Kildare (Former)”