Hrm... Methinks Guns... Lots of Guns...

Draco the Tainted

Hrm... Methinks Guns... Lots of Guns...

Post by Draco the Tainted »

Mmkay, so the dealio is: I've been envious of Goldshire, Lunaris, and Kitanus, ever since they got their ultra-cool banners. I think that Kildare can do better than that. So I've come up with an idea for Kildare's ultra-cool banner. It will look really really cool and militaristic, but I don't know exactly which image of the guns to put on there. So here is a picture of every frame of movement I could find of giant killer B0O0/\/\! gun.Please anyone who stops by, give me some help by telling me which image (I've sorted them into rows and columns) you think looks best, or which you think would look best on the Kildari banner.((For those who can't tell from this sized-down image, the full size image is here.)) Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

Draco the Tainted

Re: Hrm... Methinks Guns... Lots of Guns...

yeah, yeah, I realize that it's already up. That doesn't mean it's not editable. I just put that frame (whatever frame it happened to be) in because I was impatient and didn't feel like waiting for all you inactives to tell me what to do. Of course, if I get enough people suggesting to change it, I just might.But for now, we bask in the glory of the banner:Oh, and for those who care, here are the two rejects: Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!Edited by: Phoenix the Risen at: 12/26/03 9:41 pm

Kaiser Mors III

Post by Kaiser Mors III »

I think you MAAAAAY be being a lil picky about the guns..hehe.. Looks nice to me.. but.. a lil confusing... doens't rally look like a gun... or maybe it does... I can't tell.. Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

Draco the Tainted

well, it's not really a Gun so much as a fucking cannon... but yes, you're probably the fifth person to tell me it doesn't look like a gun... I guess only Farscape fanatics would recognize it...I was thinking at first of putting an image of the Ion Cannon from StarCraft on the left side, but the image had a blue background, and it's really hard to fade colours with MSPaint, and I'm not trusting Winlucifer with anything more complex.Anyhow, yess... I think this banner effectively gets across the classic message of the military state of Kildare... now if only there was a war to be fighting...We need to get a fucking graphical system for micronational wars... that would be fucking awesome... like five hundred hot dogs... get like a revamped multiplayer micromanagement-style game reminiscent of the Blizzard® Craft™ games... yess... anyhow... I'm off for now...*CRUSADE!!!!* Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

Draco the Tainted

Kudos to mDuo13 for these ones too... if I had a Kildari population, I'd let them vote on 'em all... Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

Ooooooh pretty...

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

The beauty of Jasc Animation Shop. I think I just might make a couple more of these, for fun.

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

And here we are! A new one!First, the still image:Second, the full-size animated image:Finally, the optimized (smaller) version of #2:EDIT: And yes, this is just an example. I haven't gone and made it fill the full size, and I haven't added the blue border just yet. Edited by: mDuo13 at: 12/31/03 1:02 am

Draco the Tainted

verry cool... but what the hell are those images? Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

the small number 2 changes color quicky.....the first number 2 I could not tell any color change at first "Disclaimer: Whatever is in the above post is probably a result of my blind following of Kieran Bennett, because I have even less of a brain than Kieran. Don't even get me started on my lack of independent thought."

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

The images are actually stolen from a painted illustration to The Lord of the Rings, specifically the scene where Eowyn kills the Witch King. I edited out the middle of the picture because I couldn't get a good enough width ratio without cutting off important parts of the picture, and the look I was going for was that of a battlefield, which ends up being very hard to see in the images. I assure you that in the original, though, you could see a lot of guys still fighting and other people in the background.The problem with the banners is the size, which makes it really hard to make something recognizeable, especially because it has to be stretched out so wide. I'm hoping on getting a decent picture of either a huge army of men (perhaps screenshotted out of Starcraft) or a decent-looking gun.

Draco the Tainted

No Starcraft. That's a Shireroth thing... not a Kildare thing... and no LotR. That's a Menelmacar thing... and I'd rather not be associated with them in any way.The point of the banner is to give people an idea that we Kildari mean business. No dilly dally around the man-to-man combat shit... it's fecking B0O0O0O0/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\!!!!!!!! -- dead. Not that I don't like the mano-a-mano stuff... that's the whole point of the RPGishness... but if we put that image up, then random budding nations are going to come in and try to blow us all away with a plague or a hovercraft or something...Guns. Big guns. Lots of guns. Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

Kaiser Mors III

Proly shouldn't use moving due to people's bandwidth.. Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

Regarding the bandwidth issue...1. For the following statistics, figure on about a 10 kb/s transfer rate (as that's about the best one can get from my server, assuming that I host them) for broadband, and a 5 kb/s transfer rate for modem. If, however, one were to host on a much faster service, the broadband one could jump to between 50 and 150 kb/s.2. The two banners I made, unanimated, are 18kb and 20kb.3. The optimized file size animated banners are 132kb and 214kb.4. The full size animated banners are 268kb and 455kb.5. The background image for Shireroth is 39kb.6. Virtually all modern browsers have a "cache" which keeps a backup copy of images viewed recently, so if a file's time/date matches that of a file in the cache by the same name, the image is not downloaded and the stored one is displayed instead. Thus most users will only have to download the image once every few months, or more often if they clean out their cache more often.As you can see, the difference in file sizes is substantial, but it is not so much that it would really waste people's bandwidth. The big problem comes when such images change often, or when very large populations of users download the images.

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Since you seem to enjoy and to be good at this, why don't you make banners for the realms that don't have them yet, like Brookshire or Yardistan? If you're interested, I or someone else could tell you what sort of things might be appropriate for the backgrounds of each.Oh...and I can't read the words Duchy of Kildare on the current banner...it just looks black to me. Edited by: Scott Siskind  at: 1/8/04 4:01 pm

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

Yeah, I made the same comment on the current Kildare banner. JOSEPH! When are you going to change it?

Draco the Tainted

as soon asa) I get off my lazy ass and my computer gets off its lazy Wintrashorb) Someone makes me a better banner. With Guns. Lots of Guns. Big Guns. (emphasis on the third there - I want a huge cannon in it) Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

Draco the Tainted

*takes out Awesometer*Wow... that is totally gauged at nearly 300Ð... awesome... Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

Eriana Moon

Post by Eriana Moon »

I like the new bannor ALOT. Baroness of Lunaris in The Republic of ShirerothBaroness-Councilor of Tallandor-New Barbary in Treesia

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

The measurement for Awesome is Dudes, isn't it! Sun Bless, Earth KeepZirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar, Tivitha e'Taras

Draco the Tainted

Hrm... Rome, is it possible that maybe you could set up a php script (like the one in your sig) that randomizes the Kildare banner, since we have now at least four different versions...?And no... awesomeness is measured in hot dogs. Watch Eddie Izzard and learn. Heil Loki!!!
Heil H'Graa!!!

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Are we thinking of the same Eddie Izzard here, a la Sexie and other stuff like that? Sun Bless, Earth KeepZirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar, Tivitha e'Taras

Phoenix the Risen

Post by Phoenix the Risen »

*poof* you like? no? oh, well then, I'll put it in my Geraj... crap, we haven't got a geraj... *poof* Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Haven't seen him, to tell the truth, just checking we were on the same wavelength, y'know? Sun Bless, Earth KeepZirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar, Tivitha e'Taras

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

Hmm... since it's not that hard, and would be kinda fun, I think I wouldn't actually mind making some banners for other duchies and baronies, given, of course, some basic ideas to work with. So start sending in those requests.

Kaiser Mors III

pub9.ezboard.com/fshirero...D=44.topicREQUEST!..heheh Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

Request fulfilled. ...NEXT!

Kaiser Mors III

Coool.. thanks.. Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

Phoenix the Risen

Post by Phoenix the Risen »

y'know, I've got a higher-res version of the brookshire flag on my computer somewhere... I'll email it to you or something... the pixelated title looks kind of odd... but very good work nonetheless Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Return to “Fiefdom Archive - Kildare (Former)”