The Oracle of Yaanek

Moderator: Scott of Hyperborea

Scott of Hyperborea

The Oracle of Yaanek

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

In the days of eld, the Oracle of Yaanek told men of their destinies. A priest or priestess sat in a cave hewn into the mountainside and breathed in the vapors from the volcanic vents. The kings and princes of the world would visit, seeking information on the futures of their empires. Though the oracle always told the truth, it would only tell the full truth to the righteous, while the answers it gave the wicked usually led to their downfall. Its reputation spread far and wide, until it was venerated even by strangers from foreign lands.

It gave its most famous prophecy in the days of Alexandros, when Shah Ardashir the Cruel visited with shiploads of gold and gifts, and demanded to know whether Babkha would ever be conquered. The oracle's response was that "Babkha can only be defeated by the man with three knees." Satisfied that no such man existed, Shah Ardashir let down his guard. But the prophecy was later considered fulfilled when Ard-Baron Eoin conquered Babkha during the Second War of the Orchids, the rationale being that the Ard-Baron had a right knee, a left knee, and a Barony.

After this, the oracle fell into disrepair, as would-be seekers were forced to balance the advantage of the oracle's crystal-clear knowledge of all future events with the disadvantage of its groan-inducingly bad puns. Around the time of Elder Prince Mikol Rugal, the cave was lost, and Raikothlin ceased consulting the oracle.

Today, as part of the Great What-We-Are Becoming, the oracle is being re-opened to general acclaim. Ancient scrolls have revealed the precise location of the mountain cave, and a Priestess of Elith has volunteered to channel the Voice of the Volcano just as her predecessors did so many years ago. Once again, the old inscription has been carved above the cavern mouth:
Kuqualaeph atsil, karalaeph karachinang quosin amil!
"You've got questions, we've got incomprehensible cryptic answers!"
The Oracle is in and open for business!

Andreas the Wise

Re: The Oracle of Yaanek

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I have a question, oh mighty oracle! Actually, I probably have about a hundred, but I'll start with one.

Oh mighty Oracle, will the GSOS actually begin functioning within the next four months?
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser Loki III

Post by Kaiser Loki III »

Does the mighty oracle deign to consider phantomghostplanets? :)
Loki III, Kaiser of Shireroth
"Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est."
The Awaited One, Bearer of the Sword
Traditional King of the Mala'anje
Prince of Hvalafell
Lord Protector of Yardistan
Vryheer of Maraguo

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Ah, that Soloralwiki article. I doubt you approve of much in there and CoD2 in general. It's not explained very well there, but the Oracle was based on some Treesian goddess, and since CoD2's mythology has the TUC happening in the previous universe with that universe being ended by their apocalypse that lead to the beginning of ours. This was all way back when I was trying to appease Treesia by adding their stuff into our games at Menelmacar. Why I did this when they didn't give us ANYTHING in return is totally beyond me. Anyway, at the end of CoD2 the crystal power is used to reforge the Elemental Seal but the spirits that were sacrificed to create them escape. So the Oracle gets to leave, her long imprisonment over, to haunt volcanoes and do whatever Oracles do. At least, that's my version of it. Hey, I'd like to see you take a lot of contractory micronational myths and legends and make it all work together!

Scott of Hyperborea

Ah, that Soloralwiki article. I doubt you approve of much in there and CoD2 in general. It's not explained very well there, but the Oracle was based on some Treesian goddess, and since CoD2's mythology has the TUC happening in the previous universe with that universe being ended by their apocalypse that lead to the beginning of ours. This was all way back when I was trying to appease Treesia by adding their stuff into our games at Menelmacar. Why I did this when they didn't give us ANYTHING in return is totally beyond me. Anyway, at the end of CoD2 the crystal power is used to reforge the Elemental Seal but the spirits that were sacrificed to create them escape. So the Oracle gets to leave, her long imprisonment over, to haunt volcanoes and do whatever Oracles do. At least, that's my version of it. Hey, I'd like to see you take a lot of contractory micronational myths and legends and make it all work together!
There is a legend that the Treesian goddess Elwynn lives in or underneath Mt. Yaanek, but that's a Treesian legend and not a Hyperborean one. Out of character, I invented both of them, but in game they're completely separate. In relation to Treesia never giving you anything in return, are you aware that there's a whole bunch of Treesian myth that involves the Microns and Bill's sword Einlanzer, for exactly that reason?

I quit taking a lot of contradictory micronational myths and legends and making them all work together a while back. That's Andreas' job now :)

Voice of Yaanek

Post by Voice of Yaanek »

Andreas the Wise wrote:Oh mighty Oracle, will the GSOS actually begin functioning within the next four months?
The river flows fastest when its course is narrow, but no great ships can sail upon that current. The Birch-Stream-Fertile Stream will not yet run dry, but neither will it be navigable, and it ends but in a swamp. Rushes a-plenty grow there, and the odd wildflower, but no snow-rose.

The runes relating to your question are Fern, Wind, and Lake.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:In relation to Treesia never giving you anything in return, are you aware that there's a whole bunch of Treesian myth that involves the Microns and Bill's sword Einlanzer, for exactly that reason?
Actually, completely seriously, I was not aware of that at all.

Scott of Hyperborea

Humans were considered descendants of Osik, the first man, and Onira, the first woman, who stayed neutral in the war between the gods and the demons and therefore were banished to Earth as punishment. The Microns were the illegitimate descendants of Osik, the first man, and Celen, a woman who supported the gods, and therefore the Microns were allowed to remain in Heaven for the sake of their mother. The Microns remained in Heaven for most of the early ages of Micras, but during the war with the Khaz Modan demons (identified as the equivalent of your Soloralist Imperials), the Microns saw that the demons were slaughtering humanity and chose to intervene. The gods warned them that once they went to Micras they could never return to Heaven, and the Microns accepted that fate. They flew from Heaven to Earth on vast floating cities and settled the Ptia/Natopia/Tapfer region. The wars between them and the demons broke the backbone of both forces. The Microns retreated from the human world, and the remaining demons were defeated by a coalition of forces including Istvan II of Istvanistan wielding the Stormrider Sword, Tapferites wielding the holy sword Einlanzer, and the ancestors of the Treesians wielding the Sword of the March Breeze.

Andreas the Wise

Oh mighty Oracle, what will happen with the current pro-democratic chaos?
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I still don't get the Atlantis reference. :p
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

wtf? Bill used the Khaz Modans for this stuff... No wonder I ignore him...

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Who mentioned Bill? This was a Treesian myth. Probably Scott or Eoin came up with it.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I tend to attribute anything Solorialist or involving Microns with Bill.. hehe

Syr William

Post by Syr William »

O great Oracle,What is the fate of my home nation of Cerulea?

Voice of Yaanek

William Strauss wrote:O great Oracle,What is the fate of my home nation of Cerulea?
It is written:

New blood does not run
And new systems are fun
And new eras enlighten the brain
But new systems unfold
And new faces grow old
Until Undying, only, remain.

Thus, I say:

Four things only can destroy Krlska:
A poisoned gift,
A betrayal of trust
A loss of hope.
Or you can bring it upon yourselves.

The runes relating to your query are Rain, Mushroom, and Mountain.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Satisfied that no such man existed, Shah Ardashir let down his guard. But the prophecy was later considered fulfilled when Ard-Baron Eoin conquered Babkha during the Second War of the Orchids
I know you're making an amusing comparison of myself to Croseus of Lydia but this really is hopeless revisionism. The Mondesian contingent was massacred by both sides, the Treesians fought to a standstill and only a fortuitous crossbow bolt to the forehead of one of my *ahem* ancestors enabled them to retreat to the coast in any good order, burning Susa almost as an after-thought.

That my dear chap was the extent of the 'conquest'.

Scott of Hyperborea

I was referring more to your (and Babkha's) brief conversion to the Treesian Church, but yes, it was cheap revisionism.

Kaiser Reynardine I

Post by Kaiser Reynardine I »

Great Oracle,

Will I ultimately keep my own path, or fall prey to the pressures of the ancients?

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

I may be no great oracle but I'll give you this bit of advice for free kid. There is only one sure fire way to deal with dissent - evisceration.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Great Oracle,

Who must I pay off in order to become Kaiser?

Voice of Yaanek

Great Oracle,
Who must I pay off in order to become Kaiser?
Ari, of course. You hardly have to be an all-knowing mountain deity to know that.

The runes relating to your query are: fern, mountain, wind

Voice of Yaanek

For decades yet, be glad and cheerful. The people will grow strong and prosper. The winters will be warm and mild, and every living thing will flourish. But use this time in preparation; for strengthening yourself for battle. For ere these fifty years are over, the opposite indeed will strike you.

I see an age of night approaching, a coming age of woe and peril. When Death ascends a throne and curses the lands with tyranny and bloodshed. Ghosts of the blessed dead grown restless, and golden spirals snapped and broken. The wailing shall be loud in Tala, surrounded by blood-red aurorae.

Look to the oceans for salvation, and take your friends where you can find them. Not every sunbeam shines on evil, and some may light the pathway forward. Nor Truth nor Beauty shall forsake you, nor shall the spirit of the Icepeak.

Remember this.

Andreas the Wise

Ominous, and yet strangely fitting ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

Scott of Hyperborea

A mistranslation has come to light. The word translated above as "decades", or "ten years", may in fact be meant as "tenths of a year". That would mean Hyperborea and the world have a much shorter time until this apocalyptic event than previously thought, perhaps only months.

All those who believe in the Oracle's predictions should take extreme precautions.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I'm preparing my troops.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

You're always preparing your troops or mustering forces or putting things on high alert. I'll bet your military hasn't gotten a good night's sleep in years.

W.Payne

Post by W.Payne »

Oh Powerful and Mighty Oracle, what things does my future behold as a citizen of Shireroth? Will I ever be a great leader?
William Arthur Atobonovno Payne
Dutch of Kildare
Count of Vervollkommnung
Baron of Hallucination

King-Count of Hawshire-Dura
Proud Member of the Noble Family of Atobonovno!
Ngolo veoli uroo Leopeop, Edounit ndoa eofr!
Mr. Kildare December 2009

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Fair enough Harvey.

Kaiser Amitymurdererzeb

Post by Kaiser Amitymurdererzeb »

Great Oracle,

Now I'm Kaiser, who must I pay off to become global dictator?
Soon to be Global Dictator, Destroyer of Amity

Cho'Gall Dentarg

Post by Cho'Gall Dentarg »

Hey douchebag,

Who the FUCK do I have to plagiarize around here to get you fuckers to participate in my PLOTS?!

Return to “County of Hyperborea”