A calling together...

Moderator: Scott of Hyperborea

Philip Locke

A calling together...

Post by Philip Locke »

For the betterment of Hyperborean and Shirerithian culture and the solidarity of all national poets, writers, bards, etc., I hereby call together an informal congress of those artists of words who are interested in forming a guild of sorts. The guild's purpose would be to nurture the talent of Shirerithian writers of all stripes through thorough critique and review, provide a well-promoted showcase for projects and literary ventures, and allow for mutual cooperation among those in the field.I have yet to write up a guild charter, I'd like to see the interest level first. If you are interested, please post your support. Any ideas are welcome. Now it's time to kick out the jams, motherfucker!

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

Re: A calling together...

Post by Shasta Rana Wanderlust »

Hypocrite. Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Ahh, I think Ceruc Kidun's remark there counts as support, don't you, Volak?Come now, Ceruc, you know that later you'll probably join out of spite just to get at ole Ragum, you might as well take an honest interest in it now, and maybe the alarming rift between the two of you could be healed. Sun Bless, Earth KeepZirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar, Tivitha e'TarasGrand Duke of Lac Glacei

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Hey! The lexicon is there to be used for good, not for evil! But yeah, Chibir Korol (and I believe Frog Wanderer is a slightly more...accurate...translation than Eoin's attempt), you should join...Locke shuts up after he's gotten to know you for a while.

Philip Locke

Post by Philip Locke »

I don't see any hypocracy or irony. If I was proposing the "Feel Good Happy Happy Poetry Club for Friends", then chastising me would be the only sensible thing to do.However, the guild would not always be about making each other feel better - it would be about serious critique (sometimes harsh), the nurturing of talent, and showing the rest of Micras that Shireroth has yet more to contribute to the sketchy world of micronational literature.The best art is always born from conflict and controversy, be it between nations, men, or the ideas within one man. Now it's time to kick out the jams, motherfucker!

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

and "DOWN WITH CRAPPY POETRY!!!" is constructive criticism? Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

Philip Locke

Post by Philip Locke »

That would be an astute observation, had I ever mentioned "contructive criticism". Maybe you should be taking a course in reading comprehension instead of teaching a course on poetry, mm?And you are not in the guild. Neither am I. The guild does not even exist. Had the situation been different, my response may very well have been different. Now it's time to kick out the jams, motherfucker!

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

Ah, but there's your problem. You shouldn't need some guild to accord a certain amount of respect. There is a world of difference between "Why don't you try this?" (or even "I don't like your poetry"), and "Your poetry sucks!"So just because I'm not in a stupid guild with you I don't afford some human respect? Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

That is not to say that I don't support this idea. I am just under the impression (from the only thing I have seen) that you are intolerant of poetry (indeed, of ART) that you do not deem by your royal decree to be art.Just because my poetry is very lyrical does not mean that it is not poetry. Just because I do not follow the traditional rules does not mean that my poetry sucks.And just because I call you a hypocrite does not mean that I don't wish to see this Guild come to fruition. Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

Philip Locke

Post by Philip Locke »

Quote:Ah, but there's your problem. You shouldn't need some guild to accord a certain amount of respect. There is a world of difference between "Why don't you try this?" (or even "I don't like your poetry&quot , and "Your poetry sucks!"So just because I'm not in a stupid guild with you I don't afford some human respect?No. Were you a good (or even a decent) poet, I would "afford you some human respect". And, by "afford[ing] you some human respect", I mean not e-dissing your work.Quote:That is not to say that I don't support this idea. I am just under the impression (from the only thing I have seen) that you are intolerant of poetry (indeed, of ART) that you do not deem by your royal decree to be art.Wrong, again.You are an artist, just not a very good one.And, really, why the fuck is this disturbing you so? I don't like your work, but so what? I have yet to read any "good" Longfellow, but he's probably not crying up on Cloud9, and it doesn't make his poetry any less enjoyable to many, many others. I am not The Godhead, he who crafts the Objective. So just roll with it.Quote:Just because my poetry is very lyrical does not mean that it is not poetry. Just because I do not follow the traditional rules does not mean that my poetry sucks.My favorite poet is E.E. Cummings. Don't try to pull the "U HATE MY POETRY CUZ IT DOESN'T RHYME N ITS DIFF!!!1!1" bit.Quote:And just because I call you a hypocrite does not mean that I don't wish to see this Guild come to fruition. Good. Then let's knock heads, clasp hands, and fucking saddle up. Now it's time to kick out the jams, motherfucker!Edited by: Philip Locke at: 3/2/04 6:57 pm

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

For once I'll agree with you. And I'll take the liberty of adding in "in my opinion", every time you make the statement "Your poetry sucks/is lame/isn't good". I hope you do the same for me.You know, Locke, we seem to butt heads A LOT. Over Nietsche and what makes us learn, over loyalty to the state (remember when I wouldn't let you into Menelmacar?), and now over art. But I like it that way...gives me someone to argue with, and I do some of my best thinking when I argue.If you're ever interested in a slam poetry competition here on the boards, please, contact me. And I promise what I use then will be worlds better than what I've posted here now, but only if you do the same. Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

Oh, and the "alarming rift" between us? Part of it comes from that, sometimes, I wish I were Locke. I don't know if the same holds true for me, but he has this bizarre "I-Don't-Care-Bout-You-Bitch" attitude that I can't seem to incorporate (and don't want to, usually). And that attitude isn't a bad thing; it just means he's a revolutionary, and I'm not. //shrugs To each their own. Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Righto, Kidun, you know best. I envy Locke because despite the horrible tragedy that ended his years as a rock virtuosa, he never let it affect him to any deeper level than simply being a paranoid maniac. Some people would have gone far off the deep end after seeing the bass player whom five seperate "you're a cool little rock chick" magazines proclaimed he was having it off with was eaten by electric crocodiles, but not our Locke. Sang-froid throughout. Sun Bless, Earth KeepZirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar, Tivitha e'TarasGrand Duke of Lac Glacei

Philip Locke

Post by Philip Locke »

Fine, Fax.Five days, five original poems (new or old):1. Free verse2. Free rhyme3. Classical form (a sonnet, for instance)4. Avant-garde (Po-Mo, Nonobjective poetry, etc.)5. Poet's choiceYou may choose the judge, but I reserve the right to veto if I feel that your selection will be excessively biased against me. Now it's time to kick out the jams, motherfucker!

Philip Locke

Post by Philip Locke »

A good example of post-modern poetry Now it's time to kick out the jams, motherfucker!

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

And the competition shall have to commence a few days from now, after I return from LA.I'm visiting my grandmother, who found out she has stage 6 (or something like that) lung cancer this week. Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

Return to “County of Hyperborea”