Shirerothisuomithreadi I: Help Scott learn Finnish

Moderator: Scott of Hyperborea

Scott Alexander

Re: Shirerothisuomithreadi I: Help Scott learn Finnish

Post by Scott Alexander »

Well...whoever wrote this Finnish-English dictionary must have had one heck of a sense of humor then. I am reminded of the Monty Python Hungarian Phrasebook sketch.Regarding näitkö - would it be appropriate to use näittekö as a formal form (you being the King of Kings and all) or does formal not apply there?

Tahmaseb

Post by Tahmaseb »

Näittekö is correct.Ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita!

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Näittekö Monty Pythona?“Ja St. Attila noustaa korkea käsikranaatitansa, sanonut “O Jumala, siunataa tämä, käsikranaatisi, joten sen voitte räjähtää vihollisia palaneksi, armossa sinulla”(okay, that was WAY beyond my ability to translate, but if you’re a Monty Python fan you will probably be able to figure it out anyway)

Tahmaseb

Post by Tahmaseb »

Yes, I got it. If I remember correctly (I'm not putting the Holy Grail DVD on in the middle of my workday ) the correct form would be:Ja Pyhä Attila nosti käsikranaatin korkealle sanoen: "Jumala, siunaa tämä käsikranaattisi, jotta voit sillä räjäyttää vihollisesi pieniksi palasiksi, sinun armossasi".(We really don't use the O, and if we do, it's "Oi" despite us not being Aussies)"Jonain päivänä, poika, tämä kaikki on sinun""Verhotko?"

Tahmaseb

Post by Tahmaseb »

Just to show everyone how wonderful Finland is: news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/39890000/rm/_39890233_finland13_morris_vi.ram

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I was tad confused when I tried to open that file... you see, for a moment RealPlayer showed the name of the last file played with it, which was the song Terveisiä perseestä by Irwin Goodman. Ew. I spend my days enjoying the minty taste that surrounds Erik.

Tahmaseb

Post by Tahmaseb »

And you are admitting that?

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

It's not my computer. How else do you think I'd admit to having RealPlayer installed? I spend my days enjoying the minty taste that surrounds Erik.

Return to “County of Hyperborea”