Council: Duchy Status

Moderator: Scott of Hyperborea

Mikol Rugal

Council: Duchy Status

Post by Mikol Rugal »

The Kaiseress, in her infinite wisdom, has offered us Duchy status, with its corresponding greater voting rights. She believes that due to our greater activity, the roles of Hyperborea and Elwynn should be reversed. Although this is of course a great day for our people, I have a number of misgivings, starting with the fact that Mari has been very nice to us and this is not a very nice thing to do to her. The Kaiseress was, however, very insistent, and so I told her that we would come together in accordance with the traditions to discuss the matter. Therefore, I put before the Council, which currently consists of all Hyperborean citizens, the following resolution:iim kasiimeeth nu'kusona tel maroka'Borelan kazulees lamabawarisen i'gavina'ShirithaBe it resolved by the Council that the land of Hyperborea shall be made a full Duchy of the Republic of ShirerothThe Elder votes NO to the resolution. A unanimous vote of the other two Councillors can override him.If the Kaiseress and the Duchess of Elwynn would like to give their views on the matter, it would be appreciated. Edited by: Mikol Rugal at: 10/7/03 8:57 pm

Mari Greenwood

Re: Council: Duchy Status

Post by Mari Greenwood »

I would not be happy with this plan.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

I vote that this issue wait until the meeting of the Elder and Terminus on Sunday, I will follow whatever seems the best path after that.. ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Scott Alexander

Stuff

Post by Scott Alexander »

So in other words, you're going to wait for the person who disapproves and the person who approves to meet and duke it out (no pun intended) and you're just going to sit there neutrally and watch with a bag of popcorn? Is that it? IS IT?

Kaiseress Jadie

Post by Kaiseress Jadie »

*sighs*My view....Elwynn would have one citizen without Hyperborea as the barony has 3 citizens. The activity is greater in Hyperborea and I have noticed the baron is more active than the duchess. This is nothing against anyone personally. The Duchess is highly busy due to ruling 2 other nations at this time. This would in a way give her a break. She can focus more energy on her countries and the baron can focus on making Hyperborea and Elwynn greater. But as Scott as stated...it is up to the Hyperboreans and I will not contest your decision. Kaiseress Jadie IThe Elf-Cat Kaiseress of Shireroth

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Scott: Well.....I can't say it wasn't.Jadie: See, *someone* has a non-nasty reason for wanting Hyperborea and Elwynn to trade places! ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Philip Locke

Aye

Post by Philip Locke »

The idea of Hyperborea as a duchy pleases me very much. However, to vote contrary to the Elder on such an important matter would show neither Hyperborean finese nor Hyperborean acceptance. Hyperborea shall remain a barony of Elwynn...for now. So it goes.Locke

Scott Alexander

Re: Aye

Interesting, although I do wish to point out that the meaning of the Council system is that everyone has their own vote and can use it however they want. I am not a feudal sovereign who you are supposed to obey; if I was, the democracy would be pointless. When I say the two of you would override me, all I meant was that there was one of me, and two of you, not that I have some special voting power.I am, however, a bit curious why you titled your post AYE and then gave reasons for voting NAY.

Mari Greenwood

Post by Mari Greenwood »

I wish to protest this whole discussion which should be taking place in the landstradd where other dukes may not like this suggestion by the Kaiseress. Not here. If it is an issue of having a citizen in elwynn I have just found one who is awaiting apporoval. I have been kind to the Baron of Hyperborea giving him two votes that I did not have to give him. For everyone to slink off over here to discuss this issue is disgusting. Edited by: Mari Greenwood at: 10/8/03 11:29 pm

Scott Alexander

Duchess Greenwood, this is a Hyperborean decision that has no relation to any other Baronies or Duchies in the Landsraad. We informed you that we were making it so that you could give your opinion, which you did, so I don't think you can accuse us of "slinking". Further, since we have just voted to retain you as Duchess at significant cost to ourselves, I think it would be nice if you at least refrained from insulting us.If you would like to discuss any aspect of this in the Landsraad, feel free to start a thread there. From our point of view, however, the matter is closed (at least if I'm understanding Locke's vote correctly.) Edited by: Scott Siskind  at: 10/9/03 7:35 am

Philip Locke

Post by Philip Locke »

The "aye" was in agreement to your own opinion, Scott.And Mari, a bit of respect. If you want to keep your barony, you'd better pull it together a bit. Or at least pay us tastey bribes. Locke.
Can humans do what prophets say?

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Duchess Greenwood, I find your disgust at something we are entitled to, well, quite disgusting.Would you have been happier if this had gone to the Landsraad, and by an overwhelming majority, and with Kaiseress Jadie's approval, Hyperborea was at this moment superior to Elwynn? Because I wouldn't. We are supposed to be autonomous, if you remember. We are not slinking around the issue, we are trying to be nice to you, or at least tolerant of your feelings, and I just typed something really nasty which I have chosen to cut.The Kaiseress gave a decision into our hands which we might want, which we might find quite interesting to do, but we have chosen not to (I vote NAY to us having Duchy status, by the way, another way we do not have to acknowledge Landsraad "democracy" in this forum, I assume people have the energy and inclination to read things I have typed in this forum, as opposed to skimming it and seeing my summary). We have chosen to acknowledge the fact that you are a more meritous person to be Duke/Duchess than any of us. Whether we believe it or not is another thing entirely, but we are giving you the right to be legally more important than we are. Please do not use the fact that you have given us a third of your vote as any reason for us to have loyalty or respect for you. You are our sovereign, and above you is the Kaiseress. It is your right to rule us like a tyrant, and seceding your rights to us would actually make you weaker, not stronger. It is a good thing that you have given us these votes, but don't use it as a bargaining tool, ever again, because the next time, I won't go with my proper feelings. This is not a threat, I fundamentally do not believe in them, this is just something I perceive. ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Phoenix the Risen

Post by Phoenix the Risen »

Quote:Would you have been happier if this had gone to the Landsraad, and by an overwhelming majority, and with Kaiseress Jadie's approval, Hyperborea was at this moment superior to Elwynn?A) It would not have.Quote:It is a good thing that you have given us these votes, but don't use it as a bargaining tool, ever again, B) Umm... she is your freaking Duchess; she can take those votes away if she doesn't like your positions; she can remove your democratic system if she pleases; hell, she can remove your Baron if she pleases. She can even kick you all out if she pleases. Don't pretend that you have any rights over her. Let's get ready to RoX0Rz!!!

Scott Alexander

Quote:Hui Tzu was Prime Minister in the Liang State, and Chuang Tzu was on his way to see him. Someone remarked, "Chuang Tzu has come. He wants to be minister in your place." Thereupon Hui Tzu was afraid, and searched all over the country for three days and three nights to find him. Then Chuang Tzu went to see him, and said, "In the south there is a bird. It is a kind of phoenix. Do you know it? When it starts from the South Sea to fly to the North Sea, it would not alight except on the wu-t'ung tree. It eats nothing but the fruit of the bamboo, drinks nothing but the purest spring water. An owl which had got the rotten carcass of a rat, looked up as the phoenix flew by, and screeched. Are you not screeching at me over your kingdom of Liang?" He who has ears to hear, let him hear. This thread is now closed.

Return to “County of Hyperborea”