Nevri and the Dreaming

Moderator: Scott of Hyperborea

Nithi Kirenion

Nevri and the Dreaming

Post by Nithi Kirenion »

When they told Nevri that he'd won the commission to design the new embassy to Elwynn, he spent the afternoon celebrating. In the evening, he returned to his yurt and got to work.

He sipped the special tea his wife had brewed for him. Most of the ingredients were obscure to him; he knew it contained a rare Hyperborean weed of the genus datura, and that the bitter taste was tonic, but he couldn't have said what gave it the almost syrupy consistency or why it had the faint but unmistakeable aroma of chocolate.

He meditated for a while, searching for the cold clear core of his being. Three times, he performed the asana of Turning Shadows Into Rain, and then another cup of tea. Then a lighter meditation, simply counting his breath. With each in-breath, he envisioned Eliria, the City on the River. For nine heartbeats, perfectly still, he held the vision, and then With the out-breath, he released it and grounded his mind back in the yurt.

When his drowsiness became unbearable, he turned on a CD of Sidlin flute music, put on warm socks, and climbed into his immaculately made bed. He lay supine, with his feet angled slightly above his head, put on the eye mask, and began to fall.

How long he fell he could not say, but by the time he drifted, feather-like, onto the ground, his drowsiness was gone, replaced by the bite of the wind and the feel of the grass on his feet. The sky was slate-blue above him, filled with puffy cumulus clouds ever so slightly whiter than was natural. Mountains towered in the distance. Far away, a blue heron cried. He couldn't quite remember where he was, or how he got here.

Something was tattooed on the back of his left hand. He strained, trying to make it out. The letters seemed to shift and dance with each passing moment. He performed the asana of Turning Shadows Into Rain. The letters stabilized. They read: "ALL VISIONS FADE, BUT EARTH DOES NOT FADE".

As he finished reading them, the letters faded. Was Nevri dreaming? He turned to the aurorae that flickered on the horizon. He held his breath. The aurorae stopped flickering. He crouched, raised his hand above the grass, willing life into it. The grass grew three inches.

So he was dreaming, lost in the world of Beauty-Unmixed-With-Truth. <i>Kai</i>, he whispered, a prayer of thanks for the sudden enlightenment. He felt an electric twinge on the back of his right hand. There was a tattoo there, too. It read: IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, ASK THE WALRUS.

Nevri turned around three hundred sixty degrees. There, in front of him, was the walrus. "Excuse me," he asked. "Where am I?"

"The City on the River," said the walrus. It spoke with Nevri's voice.

"Eliria," said Nevri. "I remember." As he remembered, buildings rose from the ground, the Elirian skyline he had studied so well.

"You're here to design a building," said the walrus. "The Raikothin embassy to Elwynn. It will go there." It motioned with a flipper to an empty lot.

"I understand," said Nevri. He turned around three hundred sixty degrees. The walrus was gone. Then he began to raise the embassy.

As he imagined each wall, each room, it sprang forth from the ground. Where an element was dissonant, he stared at it, willing it to self-correct, and the forms subtly changed, bringing the piece back to harmony.

As the embassy rose, he stopped imagining, letting the structure build itself. The sky, the mountains, the grass, the neighboring buildings, the lot itself - these flooded the nascent embassy with structure and purpose. Twice, the blue heron suggested improvements, and once the aurorae redesigned a doorway. Nevri just stood and watched, lost to himself.

Nevri turned around again, and the walrus returned, as if it had been there all along.

"Is it good?" asked Nevri.

"It may be," said the walrus. "Why don't you ask Truth?"

"What?" asked Nevri, scandalized. "But this is the world of Beauty-Unmixed-With-Truth! He's not allowed in here!"

"He is if you bring him," said the walrus.

Nevri thought for a long time. He thought of all the theorems of engineering, of load-bearing parts and stresses and warps that he had studied until they became part of his very being. Then he turned around, three hundred sixty degrees and opened his eyes. The walrus was still there. Beside him was a young black-haired boy, staring at the embassy disapprovingly.

"It will not stand," said Truth. "Watch." He pointed his finger at the building. Two of the arches subtly warped, then there was a loud CRACK and an entire vault fell. The rest of the building quickly followed.

"Then help me," said Nevri. "Build with me."

Truth nodded, and once again the building began to rise, as spectacular quite, but now more slowly, more subtly. With a few more arches, and a slightly wider base. In a few instants, it had regained its former glory.

"Will the building stand?" asked Nevri.

"Take me with you," said Truth. "See for yourself."

Nevri spun around, opened his eyes. The walrus remained. Truth was gone. He looked at the building, calculated stresses and loads. All the math checked out. Some of the domes were rather flamboyant, the style was not one he recognized, but it would stand.

A cold wind began to blow.

"It's time to go now," said the walrus. "Take me with you. And don't forget the building."

Nevri spun around one last time. This time, the walrus and the building were gone. In their place was a hot air balloon. Nevri entered and began to rise. Up over the city, up through the unnaturally white clouds, until the sky lost its blue, then lost its black, then lost all reality.

A small pad of paper, and a pencil, sat on the dresser beside the bed. The architect began to sketch the wonderful building he had seen in his dream.
The Raikothin design buildings, and probably other things like vehicles and machinery as well, using lucid dreaming. The Vankarha Antalin, "Order of Dreamers", trains its adherents to remain conscious in dreams and to internalize their knowledge of principles of aesthetics and engineering. In some cases, they learn to personify their knowledge of certain fields to create archetypes whom they can call upon to do particular jobs. Nevri has learned to represent his knowledge of dreaming as a walrus, and his skill at mathematics and engineering as the god Truth.

Yes, I saw Inception last week. Yes, I've lucid dreamed myself, but only once or twice. No, I didn't use datura, as I am not crazy. The only thing I was able to do successfully during my dreams was make the grass grow, which is why Nevri uses it as his reality test.

Ari Rahikkala

Re: Nevri and the Dreaming

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Cue Icebreaker bragging about his lucid dreaming ability in three, two...
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Once I managed to dream myself onto the bridge of the Enterprise-D. I got to fire phasers at a Ferengi ship.

It was a lot noisier and busier than the show at the Las Vegas Hilton. (Had the dream first.)

OK, ICEBREAKER's turn.

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

Ari Rahikkala wrote:Cue Icebreaker bragging about his lucid dreaming ability in three, two...
OH, I WOULDN'T BE NEARLY SO UNCOUTH AS TO BRAG. I'LL JUST SAY I FIND IT AMUSING THAT THOSE RITUALS AND PROTOCOLS ARE NEEDED TO MAKE BELIEVABLE SOMETHING WHICH - TO ME, ANYWAY - SEEMS RATHER MUNDANE, AND HAPPENS ON THE ORDER OF TWO TO FOUR TIMES PER WEEK BECAUSE OF NATURAL CAUSES.

(NOTE: THE NATURAL CAUSE MAY BE THAT I AM AWESOME)

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Oh, I'm pretty sure all the rituals and protocols are just because the Hyperboreans like to have a lot of rituals and protocols about everything. (would probably help me, I'm still too lazy to even keep keeping a dream diary)

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

JUST TAKE A PAGE FROM SPANGLE'S BOOK AND GET ASPIE ABOUT IT. TO BE HONEST I THINK IT WOULD BE INCREDIBLY INTERESTING - I'VE NEVER PERSONALLY KNOWN ANYONE THAT TRIED TO ATTAIN LUCID DREAMING THROUGH THE USUAL METHODS (WITH ANY DEGREE OF PERSISTENCE). I'M CURIOUS ABOUT BOTH THE EFFECTS OF THE PROCESS, AND WHETHER THE END RESULT WOULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT FROM WHAT I EXPERIENCE.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Post by Kaiser Ometeotl I »

That was still a cool story. Though the aspects of Hyperborea building it's own embassy disturbs me a small amount.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

For what it's worth I *have* already gotten into the habit of doing reality checks. For me, pinching my nose shut and trying to breathe in through it seems pretty reliable: When I do it in a dream, it feels like I'm not quite pinching hard enough and air is still getting through (try it - a really light pinch is enough to close your nose pretty well). Too bad every time I've actually managed to do it in a dream I've been so close to waking up already there was hardly any point in doing the reality check anyway :(

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

I do reality checks too (usually trying to put one hand through the other, or trying to change the time on clocks by willing it). I do this pretty consistently whenever anything even a little unusual happens in real life, but I've never done it in a dream, even when crazy things are happening all around me.

Erik, we are not quite aspiring to independence, but we are very far away from Shirekeep and have our own history with Elwynn, and we want to make sure our interests are represented. If I knew a better word for an institution with such goals than "embassy", I would have use d it.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

I just wiki'd lucid dreaming and am kind of shocked. I do this almost every night. I was unaware that the general public can't do this sort of thing.

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

Harvey Steffke wrote:I just wiki'd lucid dreaming and am kind of shocked. I do this almost every night. I was unaware that the general public can't do this sort of thing.
I CALL SHENANIGANS. IF YOU HAD EVER DISCUSSED YOUR DREAMS WITH ANYONE ELSE, YOU WOULD HAVE NOTICED THE DISCREPANCY.

PLUS, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FEEL SPECIAL IF YOU CAN DO IT, TOO? ):

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

When everyone is special, no one is.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

My reality check seems to be realizing that I'm older then my dreams would indicate, but the dream goes on. And I get confused more and more by the fact I'm suddenly back in school, and didn't do my homework, or go to class, or write that essay.. etc.

And Scott, fair enough. It makes sense to me. Cultural Center? Consulate? Family fun park? :)

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Well they never start out that way. Something in the real world makes a noise or a motion and it almost sorta wakes me up, but something inside of me goes "Ignore that, it's still night time and you're still tired and sleeping" and the dream continues even though I feel like I've woken up. Or maybe something in my dream scares me or is unusually bizarre and the brain goes "that's pretty unlikely, must be dreaming."

I don't understand the reality checks thing. Like, doing some sort of action in the dream to prove you're dreaming? If you could do that while dreaming, wouldn't you already be aware that it's a dream?

Nithi Kirenion

Post by Nithi Kirenion »

The reality check is something you're supposed to do pretty often when you're awake, especially when unusual things happen, until it just seems like a natural part of your life. Then eventually you'll dream about doing one, you'll fail, and you'll know you must be dreaming.

That's the theory, anyway. I'm terrible at it. I remember a dream (this was after reading the Principia Discordia) in which someone handed me a Mao Button. I thought to myself "Hm, this is weird, I should probably do a reality check". Then the Mao button disappeared. I thought to myself "Oh, all right, never mind then" and went on my way.

My unconscious is an idiot.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

In a more enlightened age you would all be burnt as witches.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Luck for us, the Christians can't get away with that anymore.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Kaiser Ometeotl I wrote:Luck for us, the Christians can't get away with that anymore.
Under the right circumstances neither Jews, Muslims nor even primitive animists lurking in the African bush will suffer a witch to live. It is unfair to associate the happy funtime persecutions with Christians alone.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Fair enough. Though to be fair. we can lump the Jews, Muslims and Christians in the same religious branch. (They all share the same god, the god of Abraham, they just try to kill each other over the details).

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Come to Maraguo then and eat duck. :jadie

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

I don't try to kill anyone over the details. :(

Also, yes, Duckfeast is an ongoing event.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

I don't try to kill anyone over the details.
Only simulated ducks. Which are delicious.
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

SimDuck-Hunting... I have an idea for a business...
I am confusing, have a wiki article to help: Link-a-dink

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

You'll need a cool weapon..
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

N00btube?

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Only simulated ducks. Which are delicious.
But... If we weigh the same as virtual ducks... We must be made of virtual wood!

"And therefore?"

...WITCHES!

Kaiser Ometeotl I

I'm not a witch I'm not a witch. (Poor Scott, his thread got hijacked)

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

We'll disperse and let you get back to what you were doing...

Return to “County of Hyperborea”