Sakonatoshoken kiwithe!

Moderator: Scott of Hyperborea

Mikol Rugal

Sakonatoshoken kiwithe!

Post by Mikol Rugal »

Happy new year, everyone!Mekonamesenan, the Hyperborean New Year, is December 21. As the winter solstice, it marks the date when the days stop growing shorter and when the year begins its path back to light and summer.This year is Hyperborean year S'5901, the years being counted from the mythological ascension of Kadham Ragum as the first Elder in 3898 BC. Today's Hyperborean date is Mesena 2, or the second day of winter. For those of you who do not know the Hyperborean calendar, a complete explanation can be found in the Akashic Record, and will be materialized as soon as someone asks or I get around to it. The tradition is for the Elder to give a speech on this day...I suppose that's me. I'm very happy with the way Hyperborea is going politically these days. I had some reservations in the beginning that we would become dead or assimilated here in Shireroth, but thanks to the...uniqueness of our citizen body and Shireroth's brilliant subdivision system that just hasn't been happening. We've been able to work together with a minimum of dissent and a minimum of un-Shirerithian activities like being too overtly democratic. Despite occasional problems with our friends in Elwynn, we've been able to work out matters civilly and hopefully will reach a resolution of some sort soon.Culturally, through the not inconsiderable poetic talents of Messrs. Volak and Tinenetuwar we have become a definite literary center. The completion of the Radarasilikan earlier this year finally formalized the Hyperborean language, and Volak's work with the Vebedhal o'Volus has been commendable. I do, however, wish that we could have a few more joint culture-building projects - perhaps we could start by making a few more holidays - right now all we have are the solstices and equinoxes. With the three of us together, none being inexperienced at fantasy or conworlding, we really have a chance to do some interesting stuff.The following are my goals over the next year. Most important, I would like to bring back to the forefront the old Hyperborean ways of peacefulness, honesty, and honor, so that once again our people are internationally respected as shining models of what free people filled with the spirit of Truth and Beauty can be. Second, I would like to continue developing our culture so that it can truly be said to be a joint effort of all of ours in which we can have equal pride. Third, I want us to be an integral part of Shireroth - not necessarily politically powerful in the Landsraad, but definitely having our opinions heard and our island well-represented (Niirus's election to the Praetorship is certainly a fantastic step in that direction). And fourth, I want us to have fun.No holiday season, of course, is complete without the giving of gifts. I was hoping to delay this until the Duchy issue was resolved, but since that could take forever, let's do this now:I hereby confirm Ragum Volak as Zusona o'Vebedhal, the War-Leader of the Paladins of Volsung. Further, I name him as Tivitha o'Vanam, that is, governor of the city of Vanam, and will further expand his power over its adjoining port city of Tirag as soon as he returns my Andrew Lloyd Webber CD . I hereby name Niirus Tinenetuwar as Tivitha e'Taras, the governor of the city of Taras in the west of Hyperborea. Both new tivithal would be advised to get a coat of arms for their noble houses (for the Elder's coat of arms, see the top of the Radarasilikan at http://www.geocities.com/apollos...ilikan.doc or the small version in my avatar) and register it with the Registry of Hyperborean Arms, located at me. I can help translating mottoes if you want. You might want to include a silver spiral somewhere to symbolize your inclusion in the Order of the Silver Spiral, but that's up to you. Keep in mind that a tivith is more like a highly respected city elder than a feudal lord, and that in no way is this a noble title you can hand on to a successor - if there were any actual people in these cities, they wouldn't be pleased that the Elder was declaring tivithal for them without their consent!iith kanina eshanira darani karithal osekela ner radarithilu esekela soyeval omihita, itith Borel esekela'Shirith govarith "Christmas" kiwithe.

Philip Locke

Re: Sakonatoshoken kiwithe!

Post by Philip Locke »

Many thanks, Elder Mikol. Be assured that Vanam is in good hands. At the moment I am searching for a large envelope so that I can return to ALW CD. I hope that everybody has a great holiday season.Sakonatoshoken kiwithe!SBEK,Ragum Volak

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Thank you, Elder Rugal. Trust me, I am very grateful, and as soon as I get home from Christmas Mass at my school chapel, I'll start designing a crest for myself (to be tweaked slightly by my flunkies in Treesia).Nollaig Shona Dúinn, Hyperborean brethren, and Merry Christmas to all the hangers-on! Sun Bless, Earth KeepZirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessNiirus TinenetuwarLet the fates burn!

Kaiser Mors III

Post by Kaiser Mors III »

" perhaps we could start by making a few more holidays"Although not what you meant, as a gift to the land of Hyperborea, I give the gift of having their new years recognized and made an Imperial Holiday. Well, I'm gonna put it before the LAndsraad, not Decree it, since I want it in the LawBook...But it is still my gift to you.. (Cause I'll make SURE it passes. hehehe) December 21 shall be known as Mekonamesenan (The Hyperobrean New Yew ). Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

Philip Locke

Post by Philip Locke »

One step closer to total Hyperborean domination. Philip Locke
listen: there's a hell of a good universe next door; let's go

Return to “County of Hyperborea”