MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!!! - Shireroth version

Moderator: Scott of Hyperborea

Scott Alexander

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!!! - Shireroth version

Post by Scott Alexander »

Since Ari's sig reveals he, too, is into this most noble and most devious of strategy games, for the benefit of the Shirerithian population I am going to introduce MC to the IRS. Although I can't find a link to the rules that explains them in the detail necessary for a really good game and I can't be bothered to write them out myself right now, I'm pretty sure it'll make sense once we start playing. If any of you do know the rules, then please start right in...and even if you don't, if you just want to try, then I'm sure we can correct anything you do wrong.Ari, if you agree, I'm going to have this game be on the Ward-Pickman modification, since everyone on Apolyton is always playing Umr at-Tawil and I'm sick of all the restrictions on triple-crossing that imposes. That being said, I'm going to be nice and predictable and start with a standard Czar Alexander gambit by choosing CALEDONIAN ROAD.A map of the London subway system can be found here

Sergiev

Re: MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!!! - Shireroth version

Post by Sergiev »

'I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue' what you are doing here. But since this is the Shireroth version with the Ward-Pickman modification it doesnÂ’t make much sense for me to use The Puttbadger option after you started Quote:with a standard Czar Alexander gambit by choosing CALEDONIAN ROAD.Normally I would follow the rules ( a copy of which I could post for all to read ), and take ShoreditchÂ’s Revenge by choosing Aldwych. However, I find it more intriguing to use the McFurtive maneuvere and avoid the Princes Street congestion by choosing Drumsheugh Gardens.

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

huh?gives up. war trophy liberated from Babkha by the Federated NORworthic Liberation Devision (FNORD)

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

First off, I'm going to use my Right of Declaration and put into power the Movement by Newton's Third Law rule. It's an exception to Pickman's push-and-pull system, and thus adds some complexity to the game that some might find unnecessary. I assure you, however, that once we've played a few rounds you will all notice how much quicker it makes the tokenisation check phase in most situations. For now, please refer to the Discordia if you can't remember all of the rule changes this causes.Now that we've got over with... I've been studying Master Yan's Way of the Drunken Tubetrotter long before most of you have even dared to use the fundamentally simple Saturdays-only Discrete Calculus. Therefore, I don't expect you to understand why I'm starting at Tooting Bec where Euston (the classic) would have been the obvious starting station for anyone playing by the book. I got it! The Necronomicon must obviously be a Mornington Crescent rulebook!

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Okay, having looked at the "rules" (although every rules page I've looked at leaves everything deliberately vague and left to chance..) I move to ALDGATE EAST! ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart Edited by: Zirandorthel at: 11/23/03 4:04 am

Sergiev

Post by Sergiev »

I believe the Movement by Newton's Third Law rule when used in conjunction with the Pickman push-and-pull system allows the second player (which in this game is me per-chance), to imitate Marcel Marceau and take two turns out of order. By doing this it should be obvious to all that I am of course accepting the Right of Declaration and ignoring the fact that it was the Ward-Pickman modification originally announced and not the Pickman push/pull – but hey, he invoked Newton’s Third!I did verify this rule in the Discordia on page 568 paragraph C under sub-section II of the Variance Rights. You are welcome to check it out yourself. I also found that both York and that other defunct set of rules have both accepted this twist. I understand that in doing this I must declare my end move – it is hereby declared as Milton Road West. I recognize your attempt to block me with the Tooting Bec move and the help you have been given by the ALDGATE EAST gesture but I say even together they are too weak! I therefore move out of order to Gower. I place my other out of order move up for bid or on reserve.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Having made a horrible Freudian slip that could cause severe confusion about what the rules of the game we're really playing are, I forfeit my right to play on the next turn. I intended to say that the book was Principia - and you know which Principia I mean... The Discordia Ultimate (or, how I activated my Pineal Gland and why this was the direct cause of Dennis Kucinich winning the US presidental election in 2004), which Sergiev is probably referring to, does have a part on Mornington Crescent rules, although it's generally under dispute whether anything in the Discordia Ultimate should ever be taken seriously. I got it! The Necronomicon must obviously be a Mornington Crescent rulebook!

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Just trying to make some sense out of my overloaded cerebrum. Whereabouts is Drumsheugh Gardens on the map, Sergiev?EDIT: "An Edinburgh, Scotland, taxi driver holds the current unofficial record. Fraser McFurtive (37) managed to include Mornington Crescent in a journey between Drumsheugh Gardens and Milton Road West (both in Edinburgh), on the excuse that he was avoiding congestion in Princes Street (without mentioning that there is also a Princes Street in London). " Ah, I see. Obviously I am in the presence of manic genius.. ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart Edited by: Zirandorthel at: 11/23/03 6:37 am

Scott Alexander

Sheesh, I go to bed for a few hours and by the time I'm up you guys have turned this into a push-pull fest. Ari, while I understand why you may think that Discordia Ultimate applies here, I would have thought that the fact that no one challenged Eoin's move to Algate would be enough of a clue for you to figure out that we're only playing in a Euclidean or Reimannian system without the Metropolitan stations being set to override, which ALONE contradicts any rulebook published before 2007. I bid seven fulcrums, twenty feet in altitude, and the Upminster bridge station in exchange for Sergeiv's extra move. (welcome to Shireroth, Sergeiv, by the way)

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

(Ahhhhhhh)Owing to the Forty-Seventh Paradoxical Shunt Maneuvure, I have chosen to move to Baker Street.As a matter of fact, Scottram, I moved to Aldgate East. This unfortunate slide on your part gains me another turn, which I use to move to Finchley East, as per the twenty-three point sixteen regulation of the High Tepith. Zirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Scott Alexander

DAMN YOU, EOIN! If I had gotten Finchley East, I would have completed a total circumnavigation with none of those other fools any the wiser, and have obtained free resistance to g-forces, after which calling Mornington Crescent would have been a cinch!But...since Ari hasn't moved yet I can still go downtown and execute a Moldovan triple-double-axle turn to take SUDBURY TOWN *with* the three-hundred florin bonus *and* the Ruby of the East.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Pssscht, a likely story, you don't even have the fifth meridian initiative yet, how could you properly use Finchley East, or anywhere along the Tufnell Line??You might have the Ruby of the East, but I, my ruby-grasping friend, possess the Amethyst of the 4th Zone, and I'd very much like to see your pathetic trinket face up to its striling power! Zirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Sergiev

Post by Sergiev »

Indeed I thought you were referring to The Discordia Ultimate rules. However, I am willing to follow the Principia, in fact I prefer the Pickman push-and-pull under Principia more than the Discordia, ah – method shall I say.I wish to express doubt that Master Yan would have made this error even if Freudian but am willing to forgo an appeal to the Royal Arbitration Decision Foundation of Clueless Rule Makers if, and only if - my use of the Saturdays-only Discrete Calculus is overlooked.It is with honor that I accept the recognition from Zirandorthel of being manic but I resent being called genius since I was tricked into revealing my end move (Principia vs. Discordia – Freudian slip.) It would appear the motto, "He was a stranger, and I took him in", lives on in the Shireroth version. Therefore I am reminded of how true is the saying, “He who has been forewarned is either foolish or forgetful, or both.” I accept the seven fulcrums, twenty feet in altitude, and the Upminster bridge station in exchange for my extra move and turn them in for twenty pints of orange beer, thus using the Saturdays-only Discrete Calculus and declaring myself the first Drunken Tubetrotter in this game. – HAH – ask Master Yan about that!I will take the time to drink my pints and await my turn to see the next move by Ari since it might affect what I don’t do next.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

It would appear you have all made the mistake of waiting long enough for my Amethyst of the 4th Zone to come into its true effect, and thus I make my move to Goodge Street! And I invoke the law of Pliny's 14th Constant, I'm sure you fine gentlemen can appreciate the significance of that ploy. Zirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus TinenetuwarLet the fates burn!

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

* counts on fingers (in binary) *I think it's my turn again...Madison Round Garden. Since an ancient philosopher has been mentioned, I'm also extending the ruleset with the Pretentious Antique-themed Micronational Traits and declaring Tooting Bec an independent city-state. This allows me to send an invasion force to Eoin's Goodge Street, rendering it incapable of routing traffic for the remainder of the game. Yes, this is possible. It's a rather ugly (well, that is, the equations are ugly, although the fractals you can create of them actually look quite nice) transform from an infinite-space topology, but it works, at least in C*. I got it! The Necronomicon must obviously be a Mornington Crescent rulebook!

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

'Zwounds, that I could be fooled by such a simple premise! Pretentious Antique-themed Micronational Traits, thou art my old foe of ages past. Very well, as the old dictator robbed of his stronghold, I shall flee Goodge Street, using St. Ichabod's Wise Junket, and move myself and my legion of darkness to Lancaster Gate. To Hades with thee, Rahikkala and your diabolical Traits! Zirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus TinenetuwarLet the fates burn!

Scott Alexander

Stuff

I spend Sergeiv's extra move to research magnetic levitation technology, and sacrifice twelve genius points and one of my two activation spheres to complete it immediately. Then I use my own move to incite a coup in Tooting Bec, rerouting all of its traffic down Princes Street into the Goldhawk Road terminals, and claim HAMMERSMITH by virtue of the Wide-Mouthed Frog manuever (if any of that is unacceptable in PATMT rules, let me know...I haven't played under those since the tournament in Arlington and my rulebook seems to have gone missing. Just like Ari to try one of the most fiendishly obscure rulesets this side of Baron von Munchausen's Morgenstadtsichelförmigespielveränderungen)

Sergiev

Post by Sergiev »

Ah, what fortunate luck for me! – war and counter war has broken out just as I finish my twentieth orange pint. These invasions and counter invasions have given me something to think about – for about .00013 seconds.Therefore I shall invoke the Pre-decimal Coinage rule and simply step out of the pub at Hampstead West. I might be drunk but I can still get down the road in time to implement the Four Peculiar Termini ploy.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Aha, someone has multiplied 1.3 by a minus power of 10! This means I can use Napper Tandy's Illusionary Motif and move to Seven Sisters! I think you'll find in the rulebook, on page 6, that this is fully possible when Four Peculiar Termini and Pre-Decimal Coinage have been used in the previous move. You could in fact have also used Enoch's High-Octane Solution and still I would have remained impervious, hah! Zirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus TinenetuwarLet the fates burn!

Sergiev

Post by Sergiev »

GOTCHA! – If you’ll look again you’ll see I only used the Pre-Decimal Coinage and not the Four Peculiar Termini ploy. I only said I intended to get down the road in time to implement it.Thus, I believe your move is completely invalid, showing that I too can use the reverse of the motto, "He was a stranger, and I took him in". “I was a stranger, so I took him in.” – according to the little known Topeka State Hospital modification that allows me, according to Hauschild, to use the Mary De Groat maneuver of Aug. 8, 1879. I shall use the Midnight Raven variation tactic as developed on the Chilkoot Trail and temporarily block out the sun, allowing me to advance to Hampstead Health station.You’re not so impervious after all!

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Foiled by my own eagerness, and I have revealed my secret tactic too! Ahhhh, everything I do today goes awry!Fine then, master sunblocker, I retreat to Piccadilly Circus, using the Zen Countermeasurist Stance, and there shall wait until the alloted time necessary for the implementation of Borodin's Well-Meaning Effluential Gait has passed, then we shall see what we shall see! Zirandorthel I of TreesiaThe Golden DarknessBelde of the Far Reaches.Niirus TinenetuwarLet the fates burn!

Sergiev

Post by Sergiev »

Ah, you guys are just too good for me. ItÂ’s obvious that all of you can easily make your next move the winning move while I am left flying high. Because of this obvious situation and the resulting unenviable position that I have soared into I shall now execute the only honorable move, the Prism Strategy. I move to Milton Road West.

Return to “County of Hyperborea”