Edict IV

AryezturMejorkhor

Edict IV

Post by AryezturMejorkhor »

This shall be the law in Goldshire forever and shall not be changed by any future Duke without the consent of all Goldshire. This is the law of succession:
I. No Duke may give the title of "Duke" to anyone who happens to post or claim the title first.

II. If the Duke does not designate an heir and steps down, the Great Rishi automatically takes over all his functions as Duke and as the Steward, will be the only individual with the power of designating an heir.

III. The heir cannot be a carpetbagger. The heir must live in Goldshire for at least 3 days before becoming Duke. A Duke may be imported from outside Goldshire, if the heir is decreed to be one from outside Goldshire; however, this person must wait 3 days to assume his powers.

IV. All Dukes are strongly urged to designate heirs before their departure from that position.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Santelran Rottsaa

Re: Edict IV

Post by Santelran Rottsaa »

I would suggest getting assent from all of Goldshire before you go binding your successors like this. Hell, how about you just not bind your successors like this.
Libido-powered perversion, coming to your home at the speed of light.

The longer that the journey takes, the further down the road

"Well, as the saying goes with D&D, give players a fish, and they'll use it to club someone down. Teach a player to fish, and you'll have them showing up next session with a copy of The Complete Fisherman, trying to dual-wield vorpal fishing poles."

AryezturMejorkhor

The precedent was set by Yvain in his Codex from merely a week ago. In it, he bound everyone in Goldshire to certain things without the consent of anyone in Goldshire.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

AryezturMejorkhor

Posted December 28, 2009, the Codex states
He may not erase this Codex, passed down by his ancestors, without the unanimous consent of Goldshire
Also, unilaterally, the following was decided, albeit, some are based on tradition:
He may not move the capital from Goldshire Hamlet
He may not defile the sacred places of the Duchy
He may not bar a freeman from leaving the Duchy
He may not consort with demons
He may not visit the city of Demonsfall; this ground is taboo to higher nobles
He may not block the Piscatores and their representatives from Goldshire
He may not kill or eat a hovercat; this is taboo and will make him cursed
He may not deny a noble the rights accorded those of noble blood
Therefore, I was bound by my predecessor in some ways. I cannot enter Demonsfall, nor can I consort with demons. More practically, I cannot move the capital or deny rights to nobles.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

AryezturMejorkhor

Perhaps you're just upset you're now forbidden from pulling off what you did in Yardistan over here.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Gareth Arthur

Post by Gareth Arthur »

AryezturMejorkhor wrote:Posted December 28, 2009, the Codex states
He may not erase this Codex, passed down by his ancestors, without the unanimous consent of Goldshire
Also, unilaterally, the following was decided, albeit, some are based on tradition:
He may not move the capital from Goldshire Hamlet
He may not defile the sacred places of the Duchy
He may not bar a freeman from leaving the Duchy
He may not consort with demons
He may not visit the city of Demonsfall; this ground is taboo to higher nobles
He may not block the Piscatores and their representatives from Goldshire
He may not kill or eat a hovercat; this is taboo and will make him cursed
He may not deny a noble the rights accorded those of noble blood
Therefore, I was bound by my predecessor in some ways. I cannot enter Demonsfall, nor can I consort with demons. More practically, I cannot move the capital or deny rights to nobles.
Yeah, but there isn't any enforcement to prevent you from doing it, is there?

The way I interpret the Lawbook (Chpater III, Article B) is that any Duke has complete control over his territory which means that he can break his predecessor's policies at any time. I think it's more out of courtesy that you are respecting these rules, but not a requirement.
Gareth Arthur X
The Count of Nova Dalmacija

Harald of Froyalan

Post by Harald of Froyalan »

A Duke cannot bind his successors for Imperial Law gives him the authority to whatever he wishes including unilaterally repealing this Edict.
Harald of Ettlingar Freyu
Count of Cimmeria

AryezturMejorkhor

Thank you for the legal clarification. However, I'd like to follow the Codex (as you said, out of respect); hopefully a culture of precedent will build up in Goldshire.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

AryezturMejorkhor

Also, this being the case, Santerlan, you don't have to worry too much since the next Duke can repeal Edict IV if he so wishes.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Santelran Rottsaa

Post by Santelran Rottsaa »

AryezturMejorkhor wrote:Perhaps you're just upset you're now forbidden from pulling off what you did in Yardistan over here.
Don't you dare think I'll ever return to this hellhole of a duchy! I was ashamed to stand beside you as a Baron here, and I will never again walk down such a path!

And if you were really paying attention (and I guess you weren't, because you care for nothing except your own plans), you'd know I was a citizen of Yardistan for a long while before my seizing the throne.
Libido-powered perversion, coming to your home at the speed of light.

The longer that the journey takes, the further down the road

"Well, as the saying goes with D&D, give players a fish, and they'll use it to club someone down. Teach a player to fish, and you'll have them showing up next session with a copy of The Complete Fisherman, trying to dual-wield vorpal fishing poles."

AryezturMejorkhor

And if you were really paying attention (and I guess you weren't, because you care for nothing except your own plans), you'd know I was a citizen of Yardistan for a long while before my seizing the throne.
You were explicitly Count of Ynnraile and a member of Goldshire until essentially a week ago. Perhaps you were part of Yardistan in the past, but in at least the last month, you clearly were in Goldshire than in Yardistan where you seized a throne. The account of other nobles in Yardistan says as much and if you were simultaneously holding Ynnraile and living in Yardistan than you were violating a law. Please be so kind as to direct me to the apporpriate thread if what you say is correct.

To be honest, I was deeply ashamed to stand besides you as a Baron with your buffoonish pronouncements, total lack of maturity, and absence of refinement.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

It's only in Goldshire that posting long threads of pictures made by other people count as cultural development.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Return to “Goldshire”