Notes on the Characteristics of Brookshire

Shyriath

Notes on the Characteristics of Brookshire

Post by Shyriath »

This is a little place for me to try to gather my thoughts and try to do some stuff with Brookshire. I want to try to flesh it out, to make it a bit more substantial, like Benacia is (though probably not as detailed... and without the same force of "canon" that speculations by Erik might have).Some basic thoughts to start off:-Brookshire is the ancient homeland of the Kaisers and the nucleus from which Shireroth was formed.-Of all the Duchies, except possibly Goldshire, it thus has probably the greatest sense of "Shirerithianity"; that is, the people who live in it probably consider themselves good and traditional Shirerithians. This may go to the extent of actually identifying far more with the nation as a whole than with the Duchy itself, whereas the other Duchies are more likely to think of themselves as distinct entities within Shireroth.-This would probably lend to the people of the Duchy a certain sense of conservatism. The feudal structure would be well observed; Cedrist religion would be an important part of everyday life, particularly as regards any ritual facets; old-fashioned customs less used elsewhere in Shireroth might be retained. I particularly envision an emphasis on honor and duty over material success.-These sorts of characteristics might predispose Brookshirians to look upon residents of other Duchies (except, again, for maybe Goldshire), or minorities within their own Duchy (i.e., Benacians) as strange at best, and perhaps corrupt near-foreigners at worst. Of course, the more extreme the view, the less common it'll be, but one gets the sense that Brookshirians really just don't know what to do with the rest of Shireroth.-This kind of view is sadly common of those at the centers of power. Still, that same position is likely to make Brookshire a more cosmopolitan, less purely traditional place than its residents are likely to admit. There will likely be a large number of outside ideas or other elements floating around in the Brookshirian human landscape, but "adopted" by locals as their own, their distant origins either forgotten or ignored.-Of course, this sense of inclusiveness is likely to vary from place to place. Near Shirekeep, one might expect conscious and more-or-less welcomed mixing of local with outside characteristics; other centers of population would appear more distinctively Brookshirian and less consciously inclusive, with the more rural areas being the least willing to compromise.Mmmmmm... stream-of-consciousness rambling goodness. Yum.

Return to “Fiefdom Archive - Brookshire”