The Death of a Kaiser

Kaiser Mors IV

The Death of a Kaiser

Post by Kaiser Mors IV »

The rebel leader Rynnu paces back and forth impatiently, watching his scientist ally making adjustments to the control device he had created. After so long, he is at last near his goal of taking control of the ancient energies of the Sky Pillar of Tune. If only he can manage that, it doesn't matter HOW many soliders the Kaiser has at his disposal; the tower's technological marvels will serve Rynnu as a weapon against which NO modern military can stand.But now there's fighting outside the tower. This has to be finished NOW! "Hurry up with that!""Almost done, sir."Rynnu wishes he knew how the Kaiser had found out enough about the rebellion to warrant a personal visit anyway. Why was he here? Who had told him? Certainly not the demon-Count, he would've wanted to handle it himself.The sound of the elevator clicking into place behind him causes Rynnu to whirl around; and he sees a man in dark armor striding toward him. Someone else is behind the cold figure, but the rebel leader fails to notice; his sight is entirely filled by the angry visage of Kaiser Mors."Y-you!" the man squeaks.The Kaiser does not speak, but continues to advance with dreadful purpose, his eyes burning with cold fire. Rynnu draws his own sword in desperation, but the Sword of Mortis comes down upon his blade and snaps it in two as if it were balsam wood."Your rebellion ends here. I will NOT see this island attempting to break away, especially not when my own family settled here ages ago. Benacia is of the Line of Mortis now.""Pity," comes a voice from behind the Kaiser, "that the Line of Mortis must end so soon."Before Mors can even turn his head, an expertly (perhaps unnaturally?) wielded dagger slides between two of the plates of the armor upon his back and pierces his lung. The Kaiser's face twists into rage, but he can do nothing but to double over, suddenly gasping for breath.Rynnu looks up, and sees the formerly timid Kantir, the aide of Count Shyriath, with a devious smile upon his face.The face of the same man that had been advising Rynnu himself."K-kantir... thank the Gods." Rynnu slides to the floor, looking relieved. "You came in the nick of time. But... what is the Kaiser doing here? And what were YOU doing with him?""I was guiding him here. I went through the trouble of calling him to the island, after all."Rynnu reels in shock. "You WHAT?!?""Sir?" interrupts the scientist, emerging from a side room. "The device is... ready..." he gulps, observing the wheezing Kaiser.Rynnu quickly gets to his feet. "The controls for the tower? And they're ready? You're sure they work?""Yes, sir, I can guarantee it."Rynnu stabs the scientist with the jagged, proken end of his sword.Kantir appears amused. "Bloodthirsty today, are we?""Leaving no one behind that could stop me." Rynnu grabs up the small, almost simple-looking control device, and begins working the switches. All around them, the Sky Pillar hums to life.-----Count Shyriath, coming up behind the forces engaged in battle with the rebels around the foot of the Sky Pillar, orders the militia accompanying him to reinforce the Imperial troops. Calling on a nearby captain, he yells, "Where is the Kaiser?""Nowhere in sight! He went for the tower!""Alone?!?"Dread in his heart, Shyriath spurs his callamen steed Windfeather toward the Sky Pillar, doing his best not to get caught up in the fray.Meanwhile, the ancient tower begins to hum, its systems coming to life once more.-----Rynnu sets the final parameters. "Now... yes. The tower is ready to fire." He turns to Kantir. "Everything is going well... or at least it was. Why did you endanger the plan by convincing the Kaiser to come here? He could've ruined everything!"The aide shrugs in a nonchalant manner. "It was MY plan in the beginning, remember? I was the one who advised you to take control of the tower.... the one who told you what it might have been for." He grins, and looks up at the crystal dome topping the tower. "Imagine it... a giant focusing tower. Built to draw energy from all around and turn it into a beam that could be aimed at power receivers for miles around... or turned into an awesome weapon.""Yes, yes!" hisses Rynnu impatiently. "But why did you bring the Imperials into this? The rebellion could have already taken over the island before the Army had any clue what was happening! Know they're upon our very doorstep!"Kantir strides forward, as if to embrace his comrade. "Now, now, my friend.. Surely you must realize-"And then, with a rapid motion, he plunges another dagger into the heart of the rebel leader. Rynnu falls down, dead before he hits the floor."...surely you must realize," finishes Kantir with a whisper, "that my version of the plan might not be the same as yours."A bubbling cough catches Kantir's attention, drawing his notice away from the elevator, which at this moment chooses to go back down to the bottom of the tower. Mors is struggling to his feet, leaning on his sword. "You... arranged this." The monarch coughs, blood trailing form the corner of his mouth; but his eyes are filled with understanding of what has happened. "The rebellion was an excuse to bring me here... I was your target all along."Kantir bows slightly. "You strike close to the truth, Majesty... although the rebellion was an added bonus. As was this." He gestures to the thrumming machinery. "Think of the mayhem! A Kaiser, cut down... a rebellion, using valuable Imperial troops to crush. And a weapon capable of holding whole sections of Shireroth hostage! Do you know why, O Arbiter?"The Kaiser's eyes burn, as if his approaching death his eyes had been given greater vision. "To... weaken. To sap the strength of Shireroth... to waste our energies." He looks to Kantir with a new hate. "To influence the outcome... of the Last Battle."Kantir Suramon, loyal servant of the Descendi, nods in satisfaction. "Ages ago, the Hand of Rrakanychan sought to free the great Daemon from his place before the Gate of Balgurd. They failed... but their vision has not." He sneers. "We cannot know what the Last Battle will bring, but we do know that easing the way for the Legions of Balgurd cannot hurt. Surely, the destruction of a Kaiser will aid in this."The Kaiser coughs up more blood, and his vision begins to fade; he sways on his feet. He can hear Kantir striding toward him. "I suggest you simply give up, Majesty. It will be less painful."Mors grimaces. His eyes snap open, and with a sudden movement he lunges at Kantir, knocking him aside; with one last wild swing of the Sword of Mortis, he slashes off a spiky piece of the tower's ancient machinery. Sizzling energy crackles from the stump of the device, speading to nearby spikes like a disease. The hum of the tower turns to a higher pitch, almost a whine.His energy spent, Kaiser Mors slumps to the ground. Kantir, getting up from where he had fallen, scowls and whirls around; he fades into the shadows, as if he had never been.The elevator returns to the top floor, bearing Count Shyriath. He utters a cry of horror, seeing that he is too late. Rushing to the Kaiser's side, he begins pulling the dying monarch back towards the elevator. "Don't worry, your Majesty... I'll send you back down, the men will find you. I'll take care of the rebels up here.Mors coughs. "No... all gone. Device destroyed..." He coughs; blood from his lips spatters his armor. "Won't survive this. My family... see them safely to Benacia. Watch them."As the elevator begins its descent, Shyriath shakes his head in shock. "Majesty, I-""I COMMAND it," whispers Mors. "My heir is chosen... he shall take the throne. And my line must continue. YOU must see to it." He gasps in air, as if while speaking he had been immersed in water. "My sword... the Sword of Mortis. You will bring it to my descendants. ...Swear to me.""Yes... yes, I..." But Shyriath cannot continue, for Mors will not answer. As the last breath of the Kaiser leaves his body, his eyes close in peace.Shyriath has seen many things in his inhumanly long life, and seen a great many sad things; but as he sits over the body of his sovereign lord, they all pale in comparison.Unable to help himself, he weeps.

Return to “Fiefdom Archive - Brookshire”