Thoughts on the Charter

For commoners to suggest and discuss Landsraad bills

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Jacobus Loki

Thoughts on the Charter

Post by Jacobus Loki »

The point that the charter may be too easily amended may be valid. If we had a really troublesome Kaiser, and, say his brother-in-law as Praetor, well, the possibility staggers the imagination.

Perhaps leave the situation as is, but add something to the effect of-

After the Kaiser and the Praetor (aside: the ae symbol is archaic, and thus fun, but I'm no going to start with all the "alt-c+12345 shift omicrons". Life is too short.) sign off on an amendment, the Arbiter has "x" days to bring it before the Landsraad as unacceptable. The Landsraad would have "y" days to veto it by a "z" supermajority, or it would remain.

Much more inclusive. Involves the Arbiter as a watchdog, but leaves a veto in the hands of the Landsraad, without treading too much on the perogatives of the Kaiser and the Praetor.

Under such a system I may still have attempted my amendments. However, Erik would have, ahem, expressed displeasure, and Mike would have undoubtly brought it in front of the Landsraad. Instead of being accused of "messing with the Charter", It would have been "trying to mess with the Charter".

By the time I came back on line it would most likely have been moot, one way or another.

??

Erik Mortis

Re: Thoughts on the Charter

Post by Erik Mortis »

That doesn't make much sense. And unneccarsaily includes yhe...coherent.. arguement..girlfriend.. massaging neck... can't.. type....

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

The Charter really shouldn't be in the hands of the Landsraad like that and that doesn't solve the problem you put forth, creates to much process, and to many people are involved, the Landsraad is represented twice, and the Arbiter is made meaningless in the process.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

1-
Actually, the Arbiter would be the one to switch on the Landsraad.

2-
I am quite concerned about the increasing the power of the Arbiter at the expense of the Kaiser.. Mike is OK, but the future must be considered. We could skip the Arbiter, and let any Duke bring it before the Landsraad.

The question is, who is (or should be) the power? In this instance, we had a Praetor and a Kaiser in harmony, and an influential segment of the community seriously opposed. Is this constellation likely to recur?

:) We could have the Kaiser take amendments to the Temple, and see if he is struck down with lightining! :kaiser :tomcutterhamonfire

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

The power should not being given directly to the Landsraad. I never wanted it to go past the Praetor, but obviously the Praetor isn't enough. The fact the Landsraad is being so wishy-washy about reigning in their Praetor due to sentimentality, shows they can't be relied on to keep the Praetor in Check.

The Kaiser appoints the Arbiter, and I intend to give the Landsraad the power to dismiss him, so the Arbiter isn't as powerful as you want to make him out to be.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Just nervous.

Judicial activism is scary in any system, esp. for those of us with Large Mouths.

Of course, (in the far future, of course) there is always rebellion, civil war, and all of that Good Stuff.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Yep.

Anyways, this gives the Arbiter no power outside the Charter...

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

(Shrugs)

Well it's lasted this long, so...

Return to “Landsraad Front Gate”