Duchies

For commoners to suggest and discuss Landsraad bills

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Kaiser Ikol II

Duchies

Post by Kaiser Ikol II »

The Lawbook, Chapter II, will gain a new section, C, titled Duchies, to read as follows:

1. Duchies are traditional divisions of Shirerithian lands retained for historic purposes only. They have no political signficance.
2. The six Duchies of Shireroth are Brookshire, Goldenmoon, Kildare, Eluinea, Yardistan, and Straylight.
3. The senior Duke residing in a Duchy may call zirself Duke of [Duchy name]. Any other Dukes in the same Duchy may title themselves after their County or petition the Kaiser for a different title.
4. A Duke should try to coordinate cultural development and defense within zir Duchy, but has no binding legal power over its inhabitants.
I'm thinking of just decreeing this so I can be out of here sooner rather than later without having to bother with the Landsraad. Anyone really want this put to a vote or have any objections?

Shyriath

Re: Duchies

Post by Shyriath »

Overall, I like the idea. Some thoughts, though:

-Not sure about 4, not so much because I disagree with the idea of it, but because it's more or less a suggestion; should it be included as part of a law?

-How are we defining a senior Duke? Literally, as in "has been there longest", or for that matter "is duke of the House that has been there longest", or more in the sense of "duke of the House that has the most influence in that Duchy"?

-It might also be a good idea, for the sake of clarity, to define which counties fall into each Duchy.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Suggested revision:
1. Duchies are traditional divisions of Shirerithian lands retained for historic puposes only. They have no administrative role.
2. The six Duchies of Shireroth are Brookshire, Goldenmoon, Kildare, Eluinea, Yardistan, and Straylight, comprising their historical lands prior to the House reform.
3. The Duke of the House that controls the largest number of counties in one Duchy may call zirself Duke of [Duchy name]. Any other Dukes in the same Duchy may title themselves after their County or House or petition the Kaiser for a different title.
- 4. removed for the reason stated by Shyriath.
- Defined senior Duke as the Duke that controls the largest number of counties in a Duchy.
- Broad definition of the counties included in each Duchy, i.e., the traditional lands of the six Duchies.
- Language tweaked in 1. since the Duchies will probably have a political significance when Houses decide to expand their territory. Clarified now that the Duchies have no administrative role.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Kaiser Ikol II

Post by Kaiser Ikol II »

The Duke of the House that controls the largest number of counties in one Duchy may call zirself Duke of [Duchy name]. Any other Dukes in the same Duchy may title themselves after their County or House or petition the Kaiser for a different title.
I don't really like this. For example, it means that Andreas is Duke of Kildare and Goldenmoon, since his house controls one County in Goldenmoon (Falkner's) and no one else controls any. That seems wrong to me. Maybe that, but add that it only applies if the Duke zirself lives in the Duchy?

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that someone should be able to be Duke of more than one Duchy; it means that there's incentive for other Houses to try to develop counties in a contested Duchy in an effort to take the honor for themselves. If there's going to be a restriction, I'd suggest something more like a minimum threshold... Maybe that they have to have at least two counties, or something, so that a House has to at least have a substantial stake before getting the honor of the Duchy.

Jadie Kelb

Post by Jadie Kelb »

well here is a question: How would it affect Honorary Duchess titles? like...mine...the Honorary Duchess of Goldenmoon...does that mean I would not be able to be called that?
:hover

Mrs. Jadie Kelb
Governor of Kralizec
Honorary Duchess of Goldenmoon

Falkner van der Sluijs

Post by Falkner van der Sluijs »

Kaiser Ikol II wrote: since his house controls one County in Goldenmoon (Falkner's) and no one else controls any. That seems wrong to me.
I should be Duke of Goldenmoon! Ha! :document

EDIT: While I think about it, perhaps it should be senior noble within a duchy should be "duke" of that duchy? Andreas may be my senior as far as politics and houses go, I'm the only one residing in Goldenmoon, so wouldn't it make sense that I were duke thereof?
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Jadie Kelb

Post by Jadie Kelb »

Wow...trying to overturn the Kaiser's decree there Faulkner? *laughs*

I even have the plaque stating Kenny and I are Honorary Duchess and Duke...*laughs*

Mrs. Jadie Kelb
Governor of Kralizec

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

You know... that's actually a good point.

Oh Mr. Kaaaaaiiiiiser! I think Zary and Jadie gots dibs on Goldenmoon... :document

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Not necessarily. They are honorary Duchess and Duke. But I agree with Scott about the title problem. Perhaps a certain percentage of counties is needed to get the title?
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Well, the Duchies are going to be effectively honorary under this scheme anyway. The only reward of becoming Duke of a Duchy is that you get to call yourself Duke of X; that honor is what's being striven for. But that's basically the same honor that was granted to Zary and Jadie already; if someone else becomes Duke of Goldenmoon, it seems to me that what you have is either a cheapening of the Honorary-Duke-and-Duchessness, or a less meaningful actual-Dukeness. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I'd be happier if Goldenmoon were a special case; have the reward for county development there be called Steward of Goldenmoon, or something...

Anyway, yeah... Either a percentage or a set number of counties would work, so long as there was a threshold. Control of Yardistan would be a little weird, though, because it has relatively few counties; I think just Yardistan, MASS, Florin Sara, Naudia'Diva, and Mar Sara. If you did a threshold by number, it wouldn't be too hard to require holding more than half the Duchy; if you did it by percentage, it wouldn't be too hard to only require one county. The other Duchies have enough counties that it would matter so much, but Yardistan would be more sensitive to the actual type and level of threshold; something to keep in mind.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Heh... Just had a crazy idea. Probably too complicated and unnecessary to actually use officially, but... Certain Duchies could have alternate titles for historical reasons. Dutch of Kildare, Anarch of Yardistan... Dunno if Eluinea has anything that could correspond, and I'm pretty sure that Brookshire and Straylight don't, but it would be easy to stick "Steward of Goldenbrook" in without looking too conspicuous...

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

The Elw used to have a prince... :p

Falkner van der Sluijs

Jadie Kelb wrote:Wow...trying to overturn the Kaiser's decree there Faulkner? *laughs*

I even have the plaque stating Kenny and I are Honorary Duchess and Duke...*laughs*
Honorary, my dear. I, however, am the duchy's only resident and noble, therefore if this system were to become law, I'd believe that I should hold some influence.
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Jadie Kelb

Post by Jadie Kelb »

My point, is that does the Honorary Duke and Duchess titles become void when there is an actual Duke? Or...what? That is my point...and Faulkner I was teasing. I'm just trying to figure out how this is going to work...

I personally think we should leave Duke/Duchess as something as honorary that can only be granted by the Kaiser...no powers are part of the title..it is just a fancy title.

Mrs. Jadie Kelb
Governor of Kralizec

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Falkner van der Sluijs wrote:
Jadie Kelb wrote:Wow...trying to overturn the Kaiser's decree there Faulkner? *laughs*

Honorary, my dear. I, however, am the duchy's only resident and noble, therefore if this system were to become law, I'd believe that I should hold some influence.
But the title would confer no influence. It would just be a title. And this is exactly why we need a good system, so that one person holding a single county in a Duchy can become Duke based solely on that.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I like Mike's revision. Put the threshold at between 1/3rd to 1/2 of the total counties.

But I also like using alternate, historical titles, instead of Duke and Duchess. Like Dutch, Anarch, Prince..etc. I'm sure we can think of something fun for Brookshire.. like Thane.. or Lizzard King.. or something...Or Marquee. ... we used that for a time for a title.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Shyriath wrote:Heh... Just had a crazy idea. Probably too complicated and unnecessary to actually use officially, but... Certain Duchies could have alternate titles for historical reasons. Dutch of Kildare, Anarch of Yardistan... Dunno if Eluinea has anything that could correspond, and I'm pretty sure that Brookshire and Straylight don't, but it would be easy to stick "Steward of Goldenbrook" in without looking too conspicuous...
Straylight has the HONIS, head of non-independent state. Pronounced "honey" to make the plural distinguishable.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Since the title "Duke" is already taken, why not this:

Kildare - Dutch
Eluinea - Prince
Brookshire - Marquess
Yardistan - Anarch
Straylight - HONIS
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Looks good to me.

Kaiser B'caw I

Post by Kaiser B'caw I »

*Nods approval*

Falkner van der Sluijs

Malliki Tosha wrote:Since the title "Duke" is already taken, why not this:

Kildare - Dutch
Eluinea - Prince
Brookshire - Marquess
Yardistan - Anarch
Straylight - HONIS
Goldenmoon?
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Kaiser B'caw I

Post by Kaiser B'caw I »

Dunno if there's a unique one already associated with it, but... Steward? Maybe Regent or Marshal, for words with a more distinguished history?

Falkner van der Sluijs

Regent sounds nice.
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

I left out Goldenmoon since we already have an honorary Duke and Duchess there.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Sounds good by me.

Jadie Kelb

Post by Jadie Kelb »

I like the list alot and thank you Malliki for thinking of me. :)

Mrs. Jadie Kelb
Governor of Kralizec

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Who wants to put it forth?

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

First of all we still need to work our how these titles are awarded and removed.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Also, I don't want them to count for voting.

Return to “Landsraad Front Gate”