Expanding the Landsraad.

For commoners to suggest and discuss Landsraad bills

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Kaiser Mors VI

Expanding the Landsraad.

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

I asked this elsewhere, and got mostly negative responses from a few. But I figure I'll ask it again in its own discussion cause I'm not sure I was clear on my reasoning.

Right now we have 2 Dukes in the Landsraad. This makes for a very small legislative body. Personally, I think this hinders both the effectiveness and potential of the Landsraad. I think the old number of 5 or so was better. At the very least, an odd number.

My original idea was to create a title that could be bestowed by election upon someone. Not a Duke, but a Margrave. This didn't meet with great response.

So, putting that aside, or not. How else could be improve the Landsraad? We can't support Duchies like the old way, never really could. And we can't really support that many houses either. Maybe 3 if we pushed it, broke up Kalir some. That's why I think an elected title would be a good idea.

Then there is always giving power to nobles below the rank of Patrician, an old idea. It never had much support in the past, but maybe people would have more interest in it now.
Maybe give this lesser house many legislative powers that the Landsraad has, but not some of the potent powers such as appointing the Steward or Arbiter, or other things that are outlined in the Charter. It wouldn't officially be part of the Landsraad, but would be a institution created by it. Originally a council of barons, but now that we have non-voting nobles not necessarily directly under or appointed by a Duke, this might be more fair.

I'm sure someone has some other fun idea. I just feel we need to make the Landsraad more useful and more desirable.
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Shyriath

Re: Expanding the Landsraad.

Post by Shyriath »

I'd sort of wondered about an elected noble on and off, but I hadn't thought it would gain traction...

Not opposed to the idea of a lower house myself. But be sure of a firm commitment to vote from the nobles who would be participating; you can just about get away with a Landsraad of two or three being inactive for a while, but a lower house consisting of more people on top of that has to look busier, or else it'd just be embarrassing.

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

Maybe start with 1 or 2 elected Margraves, to keep things odd, and see how that works out?
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

That would be close to interfering with the internal workings of the Landsraad.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

I'd put it before the Landsraad to set up.
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

I don't want elections. We are expanding the powers of the Front Gate instead. This way, people will get a say.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

Yet, you are stripping the Equestrians of their privilege to speak in the Landsraad, shrinking it.
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

I don't see any Equestrians speaking in the Landsraad. The problem with having non-voting members is that they rarely know they are members.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

There's also no point in speaking if you can't vote. People never change their minds.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

That's also true. So I would rather have just voting members in the Landsraad and everyone else in the Front Gate. It's simpler.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Jadie Kelb

Post by Jadie Kelb »

I personally like the idea of expanding the Landsraad...giving more people an actual voice...since we all know that the only voice in this country is a vote.
:hover

Mrs. Jadie Kelb
Governor of Kralizec
Honorary Duchess of Goldenmoon

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Harvey Steffke wrote:There's also no point in speaking if you can't vote. People never change their minds.
I'm trying to listen to different points of view and well reasoned arguments and make my mind up on micronational matters accordingly.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

Mike.. I can't vote in the Landsraad right now, but I can speak. I am doing so. When my reign ends, I will lose that right. Even if I had no vote, I wouldn't mind a direct voice.
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Andreas the Wise wrote:
Harvey Steffke wrote:There's also no point in speaking if you can't vote. People never change their minds.
I'm trying to listen to different points of view and well reasoned arguments and make my mind up on micronational matters accordingly.
Well sure, but you're generally the person that gets things right the first time. It wouldn't take a big speech from a non-voter to get you to do the right thing.

Return to “Landsraad Front Gate”