Financial Privicy Law.

For commoners to suggest and discuss Landsraad bills

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Erik Mortis

Financial Privicy Law.

Post by Erik Mortis »

I am of the belief that other citizens shouldn't be able to see our money, and how much we have. The government can peep all they want, but I don't think we should be required to have a page on the bank that lets any person with a Shireroth account see how much money I have.

Thus, I propose a modification to the lawbook granting this Privilege of Financial Privacy from other Citizens. I will offer 50erb to any duke who can write up such a law(should be easy) and support it before the Landsraad.

Jacobus Loki

Re: Financial Privicy Law.

Post by Jacobus Loki »

I agree wholeheartedly.

It's nobody's business how poor or rich anyone is.

As a matter of fact, since taxes are by Duchy now, it's not even the Government's business.

Except maybe the Kaiser & perhaps the steward when acting as Kaiser, and they shouldn't tell anyone.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

You bank admin reserves the right to pry at everyone's account to get statistics (like how many transactions per month, relative currency shares of the currencies etc), and of course the remove funds when you revoke citizenship.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Speaking of which,

since Jess was Duke, shouldn't his funds go to Greg?

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I'll hit this. I haven't authored any laws recently anyway. See the following proposal; I'm being a bit specific in limiting this bill to individual citizens, since I think it would still be a good idea for some information to be public or possibly public (how much erb in each Duchy, the state of the Crown account, etc.).

Financial Privacy Act

Be it enacted that the following be inserted after Chapter XIII, H: Official Bank, with all subsequent articles renumbered accordingly:

I. Financial Privacy
1. Any financial records, statements, or statistics pertaining to an individual citizen of Shireroth, including those of their accounts in the Bank of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth, shall not be made or permitted to be made available to the public except by the sole discretion and action of that citizen.
a. Exceptions may be made during the course of a case before the Imperial Judex, if said financial information is relevant as evidence.
b. Any said financial records, statements, or statistics shall still be available as needed to officials in the Imperial Government as provided for in Section B of this Chapter.

2. The preceding section shall not necessarily apply to any presentation of financial records, statements, or statistics in which individuals are not implicitly identified.
Edit: Forgot to add, let me know if it needs tweaking before I propose it.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Jacobus Loki wrote:Speaking of which,

since Jess was Duke, shouldn't his funds go to Greg?
No. His funds he had before he was Duke. Some Duchies have a separate account that goes to the Duke (such as Kildare's Saenad) but not Yardistan, as far as I know ...
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiseress Anandja I

Post by Kaiseress Anandja I »

I really like this law. :thumbsup
Love and Happiness,

Kaiseress Anandja I
Marchioness of Goldshire
Baroness of Lakhesis

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

And how will the dukes tax there citizens if they can't even see there accounts?
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Kaiseress Anandja I

Post by Kaiseress Anandja I »

Percentage? 200 Erbs per resident? There are solutions to that without showing account info to every citizen.
Love and Happiness,

Kaiseress Anandja I
Marchioness of Goldshire
Baroness of Lakhesis

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Kaiseress Anandja I wrote:Percentage? 200 Erbs per resident? There are solutions to that without showing account info to every citizen.
Booooooooorrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnggggg! You need to see the accounts, so you can make decisions.
Privacy in nations, by Mors! Needless if it comes to bank accounts.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Can I suggest this law be opt-in instead of opt-out (ie, you must specifically request for your details to be private if you want them to be). It could be useful to have a ballpark idea of how much money everyone has so you know what prices to set for things.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Oh.. but that's the fun of it....

And Shyriath, you'll get paid once this goes before the Landsraad.

Kostalan Rottsaa

Post by Kostalan Rottsaa »

Perhaps there should be an option programmed into the bank? Then the law would only need to say that citizens and companies may opt to hide their balance, as Scott suggested.
Kostalan Rottsaa
Duke of Brookshire

Count of Asantelian
Count of McCallavre
Count of Lesser Attera
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Bocaj: You are the Spiral Nemesis, Reynardine! You are the end of all things!
HEIL KAISER!

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Can I suggest this law be opt-in instead of opt-out (ie, you must specifically request for your details to be private if you want them to be). It could be useful to have a ballpark idea of how much money everyone has so you know what prices to set for things.
That's true. I'm somewhat inclined to let it stand as-is in spite of that, however, on the grounds that it would make it more like most real-world transactions; that is, for everyday purchases, most sellers don't know how much money THEIR individual customers have either, and have to figure out their prices by balancing a need to make money with an educated guess at what, on average, people seem to be willing to pay. (Of course, I don't know if we have enough of a market here to try to depend on market forces like that, but it'd be fun to try.)

At any rate, I second Kostalan's recommendation at having an easy-to-use option in the bank to hide/unhide financial information.

Edit: I am making slight changes in wording... "may" instead of "shall", and "explicitly" instead of "implicitly".

Return to “Landsraad Front Gate”