Tax Law Change

For commoners to suggest and discuss Landsraad bills

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Andreas the Wise

Tax Law Change

Post by Andreas the Wise »

With the removal of voting credits, the economic link between Duchies and Taxes has been broken, probably permanently. As such, it seems silly to tax by Duchy, especially when one Duke refuses to participate in the economy.

So ... I propose a change to the tax law.
Current Reading wrote:I. Taxation.

1. The Ministry of Trade shall be empowered to conduct national taxation with one weeks notice to the general populous. It announce its intention to conduct taxation when one of two conditions are met:
i. The Crown Account is under 10000 erb.
ii. Taxes have not been levied for a month.

2. The Kaiser may stop a tax after it is announced but before it is levied.

3. The Amount of taxation shall be 2000 erb from each Duchy. Where possible, this will be taken directly from the Duke zirself. Where the Duke has less than 2000 erb, this shall be taken from the richest citizen, and so on. Where the entire Duchy has less than 2000 erb, all the erb they have shall be taken, and it is at the discretion of the Ministry of Trade and the Kaiser about whether the remaining sum will be taken when it becomes available.

4. Dukes are empowered to conduct taxation within their Duchy in order to recoup their loss from the National Taxation.

5. The amount and timing of taxation may be changed by the Kaiser of Act of Landsraad.
Proposed Reading wrote:I. Taxation.

1. The Ministry of Trade shall be empowered to conduct national taxation every month. Unless otherwise stated, taxes will be levied on the last day of each month.

2. The Taxation shall be personal and as follows, payable on each part therein.
0-1000 erb - Tax Free
1000.01-2000 erb - 10%
2000.01-3500 erb - 15%
3500.01-5000 erb - 20%
5000.01+ erb - 30%

3. Companies who have a separate account will also be taxed, at the following rates:
0-1000 erb - 10%
1000.01-2000 erb - 17%
2000.01-3500 erb - 25%
3500.01-5000 erb - 35%
5000.01+ erb - 50%

4. If the Crown Account falls below 10000 erb, MiniTrade can announce an 'Emergency Liquidity Tax'. This must be announced at least one week before it is levied. It shall be a per-head tax of 200 per head.

5. The Kaiser may stop an 'Emergency Liquidity Tax' after it is announced but before it is levied.
If this were passed, Treasury policy would become that bounties are paid every month on the first day of the month (or after taxes, whichever's later).
This is a tax system I've used in Novatainia. It's a wealth tax (on how much you have, not how much you earn) designed to encourage spending. An obvious and encouraged tax dodge is to spend all your money up near the end of the month to get under 1000. Companies are taxed higher because originally company money should have just gone into a personal account, and if you're going to have multiple accounts, you could otherwise dodge taxes by splitting your money between them. This way, money left in company accounts is still taxed as well as your personal money (so you're encouraged to put it all into your personal account and make things easier for me to work out).
The liquidity tax is because theoretically I like the Crown account to stay above 10000 and pay bounties from the amount above that ... but in recent times we've ended up at 0. That gives me a way to fix that, and also to take money out of inactive accounts that I wouldn't be able to do if they had <1000.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Return to “Landsraad Front Gate”