Cartographic consistency

Moderator: Gman Russell

Ari Rahikkala

Cartographic consistency

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I'm going through our duchies collecting issues of cartographic consistency and quality. See http://shireroth.kuroshiro.net/forum/vi ... =10&t=9250.

Inconsistencies and quality issues I found:

- Northern Absentia isn't named on the MCS map. I've submitted an adjustment to correct this: http://www.micras.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1637
- Buccisi (east end of Florencia) has been truncated to Bucc in the baronies map
- the United Isles is called Holy Lands of Shireroth in the baronies map
- Augustgrad (in Mar Sara) isn't marked in the baronies map
- the location and identity of So-Sara is rather ambiguous. It's marked in different places on the MCS and on the baronies map, and doesn't seem to refer to a major island (such as the ones with Dracoheim or Thanidor on them) in either case
- Amity & Mirioth are marked as a joined entity on the MCS map, presumably as a holdover from BAM
- Nordagaat is marked as a territorial capital on the MCS map

- three Absentias named after cardinal directions is somewhat boring
- there really ought to be a name for Eastern Absentia and Western Absentia together; They share a long border with each other but are otherwise almost entirely cut off from other Shirithian lands except a tiny length of border with Byzantipol, and they were claimed in one piece, after all
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Ari Rahikkala

Re: Cartographic consistency

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Oh, and... as an aside, you might want to consider redrawing the southern border of Eastern Absentia and Western Absentia. You know, to look more... geographic. We're blessed to have a lot of borders on rivers and seas, and our remaining borders generally look quite nifty too. This border, on the other hand, looks like a hand-drawn straight line. There's motion in the MCS toward doing this kind of thing to other borders, so this would be a good time to do it.

Prodigy Almighty

Post by Prodigy Almighty »

Thanks Ari. I was actually thinking about the Absentias recently, I'll do something about them...
Boris Ivanovich Serov ronToketi VI
Executor of Chelkran Kesh
King of Kagan conToketi
Baron of Absentia, Yardistan

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Ari Rahikkala wrote:Oh, and... as an aside, you might want to consider redrawing the southern border of Eastern Absentia and Western Absentia. You know, to look more... geographic. We're blessed to have a lot of borders on rivers and seas, and our remaining borders generally look quite nifty too. This border, on the other hand, looks like a hand-drawn straight line. There's motion in the MCS toward doing this kind of thing to other borders, so this would be a good time to do it.
Sorry, my bad. Just trying to work off strange maps and keep Jacobus happy ... :fish
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jess

Post by Jess »

Prodigy Almighty wrote:Thanks Ari. I was actually thinking about the Absentias recently, I'll do something about them...
No expanding.

Prodigy Almighty

Post by Prodigy Almighty »

Wasn't gonna. Besides, I as Duke will take your opinion into consideration only if you ask nicely. ;)
Boris Ivanovich Serov ronToketi VI
Executor of Chelkran Kesh
King of Kagan conToketi
Baron of Absentia, Yardistan

Jess

Post by Jess »

:D

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Also, the no-MCS-claims act was only for three months, it's run out already :)

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

The Holy Lands shall return one day...

So-Sara is a collection of a whole bunch of Islands. Ryan never really specified, but it should be easy enough to figure it out.

Amity and Mirioth will allways be marked together, if I have anything to say about it!

That's weird about Nordagaat. Its the capital for MASS county, but thats it.
What follows has lead me to this place where I belong, with all erased.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Gman Russell wrote:So-Sara is a collection of a whole bunch of Islands. Ryan never really specified, but it should be easy enough to figure it out.
It is? http://www.geocities.com/evilsnapple/sosara/ says it's the one with So-Sara on it... you weren't thinking of Khaz Modan in general, were you?

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

I always wanted to know more about the Khaz-Modanians. Mainly because they used to inhabit large sections of what is today K'Tzuni. Is there much online about them?

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Aside http://shireroth.kuroshiro.net/forum/vi ... =17&t=3482 and http://shireroth.kuroshiro.net/forum/vi ... =17&t=3478 it's kind of... scattered. Partially around the forum, partially in the winds of time. Technically the only Shirithian fictional history that's recognised as canon is the SSHIT's work (LawBook VIII. O. 2.), though, so if you feel like writing something and submitting it you could define a lot more of our history and not have to mind non-canon speculation that might have been posted elsewhere. I don't know what the current process for accepting a story as SSHIT work is, though, other than Kaiserial approval...

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

If I get around to reading all the SSHIT stuff and understand the history in depth, I can work out if things fit in or not ... till then, I'd get Erik or Scott or Ari to comment. Erik ideally.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Khaz Modan was supposed to be separate from So-Sara, since when I initially petitioned for the creation of the county the Khaz Modan isles were distinct enough in history that they needed to be kept apart. So I got the unnamed islands instead kinda off to the side. I don't remember if I put a map up of them or not, but they were clearly marked at some point...

And Absentia had four provinces when I ran it, each with much more original names than compass points. This was when Absentia was located on Xandelare/Langley (now occupied by New-Empire).
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Return to “Yardistan”