As amber rays filter through the window...

Rarkasha

As amber rays filter through the window...

Post by Rarkasha »

((There’s a teensy occasional of bad language here… just to let you know)) Rarkasha stood, fitting his mask in the large marble hall. It was made not of paper, nor china, nor any physical material. It was an identity, one he had only made recently. To that end, he had also dressed the part. Flowing white robes with a golden triangle shining brilliantly, lined with the same color. Blue lines of fabrics swayed in the slightest movement, but they were outshined by the white and gold. He had only added it so as not to make him look less like a holy man, and more like the warm, soft colors of Gong Li. Some of it did come from within: the sense of pride, the regal bearing, that was all true. But some things are better when they are painted in a better light. He turned to his aide."What do you think?" he asked innocently"Well... it is impressive, sir. But perhaps it is a bit strong?" said the aide tentatively. Rarkasha tried to remember the man's name. Was it Jaru? Or something longer... His features were so plain. But he was a remarkably perceptive Gong Lian, something Rarkasha needed."I think I need a strong appearance. The people need to see me as strong.”“That is true, sir.”“It is quite a nice day. Still, no time to dilly-dally. No no, too much to be done. And I have an important meeting after this…” Rarkasha slipped back into his wistful tone, then suddenly straightened back into his regal posture. He walked towards the podium at the second floor of his office. He disliked people seeing his face too closely. He didn’t think himself ugly, but his face was cherubic, his round cheeks making people mistake his look for immaturity. There were times where this could be used to his advantage, but now was not one of them. For this reason, the podium was fairly simple, no ornaments or symbols on the front. Rarkasha altered his voice only slightly louder, though it was known he dabbled in the mystic arts of some kind that involved runes, he didn’t want to make it seem he was dependant on them. He cleared his throat, preparing himself. A very large crowd was gathered in anticipation. They consisted of the wealthy and influential, but arrangements were made for many common people to be brought in.“People of Gong Li! Hear me!” he began, gesturing widely. Some cheered, but not all. Rarkasha continued, undaunted,” I am not of you. No doubt there is resentment among you that a foreigner would rule you. But I will tell you this: I am as much of this land as you are. Never will I let it turn to anarchy. Never will I let it sit in the shadows, left as an afterthought to Shireroth. I will bring this land to glory!” he roared these last lines, spurring the people on. Cheers shook the ground outside. The deafening roar inspired those still working on Pua Kalaunu to redouble their efforts.“I ask you, all of you, to consider me as your brother, not your ruler. Together, we can make history! We can shake the Annals of Time to the core, engraving our name into the heavens! All will remember the strength of the people in Gong Li!Yet, I must guide you. That is no fault of your own, do not doubt. But to speed you on your way, I must bring assistance. I ask you that they too are considered your brothers and sisters. Do not fear, for they are as loyal to the progression on your lands as I am. It is my oath to preserve to culture of this island. Like all men who lead, I must be wary of all change, good or bad, making sure to think things through. But remember this: no matter what, all will remember us. Our deeds, combined as one, are a strength unequaled” letting his hands fall, he bowed to the audience assembled. They cheered once more, and Rarkasha could have sworn that the heavens themselves shook. Even as he exited, they cheered on. Pride swelled in his breast. He truly did love these people. So strong and proud. He would keep his promise, no matter the consequences. But he had another duty to perform.A little later that day, a man with something long and pointy strapped to his back walked to the Office. He considered the simple, Neo Classical design for a moment, not thinking of art, but of possible escape routes. He was very light blonde, with thin features, down to a delicate looking face. Well, perhaps it would have been delicate looking, if it weren’t for the scowl on his face. A closer inspection of the thing on his back would have revealed it was a pole axe/spear hybrid. It was about six feet long, with thin axe blades on the tip, and a spear-point down the center. It seemed to be made for melee combat rather than chopping down horses. He also had a short sword strapped to his left arm. His clothes were a light brown woven material, mottled with occasional blotches of leather, though it didn’t seem as if they were arranged for any semblance of protection. The guards posted at the large wooden door regarded him suspiciously, and for good reason. Jaru walked out the door at that moment, eying the young man.“The Count has been expecting you, boy,” said Jaru plainly. The blonde man twitched slightly in anger, but continued in. He heard the soothing sounds of a piano, and was not too surprised to see Rarkasha playing it in a nearby room. He figured that he was trying to impress him. Next he would probably talk to him in an aloof manner, acting as if he wasn’t a trained killer. It angered him almost as much as being called a “boy”, but he held his temper in check, and snorted disdainfully, loud enough for Rarkasha to hear.“I see you don’t like music much. A pity, really. I was hoping you’d be the type that appreciated the fine arts. But no, you’re still wearing the façade of a heartless killer,” said Rarkasha, in his typical whimsical tone. He stopped playing the piano, and gazed into the man’s eyes.“What do you know of my past?” said the blonde bitterly. He obviously wasn’t impressed. At least, not visually.“Nothing. But I do know your type. You’re a lot like me. A lot like someone I used to know, really,” said Rarkasha, his voice trailing off. He looked at the sunlight shining off the black paint. He straightened again,” Oh dear, there I go again. Anyhow, you do have a name, don’t you?”“Just Arikan,” he replied, impassive. He seemed a little confused by the pause that Rarkasha had made by drifting off. Apparently his entire act wasn’t all fabrication.“Arikan… Arikan… it is a good name,” said Rarkasha, smiling innocently, throwing Arikan further off-guard. Rarkasha smiled even wider, and continued, looking as if he’d caught a mouse in his paws,” You know why you’re here. So I’ll get right to the point. I need you to do some jobs for me, looking around, observing the unrest in Gong Li, and fixing it if I say so. My little hired agent.”“You sure that isn’t breaking any laws?”“No, but I’ll cross that bridge once I get to it. In the meantime, consider yourself under my protection.”“And my payment?”“…Well, we’re currently in the process of developing a currency, but there are things other than money that are of value. I can provide prestige, power, and material wealth, I assure you. For now though, you must be a regular citizen. I can’t provide you airships, or even cars. You must walk or find a horse, which I will be happy to provide. Your equipment will, similarly, be low class, but I see you’re used to that.”Arikan didn’t seem too happy about that. “It’ll take more than that,” he said, moving forward. He suddenly was aware that Rarkasha had disappeared, and something was draped over his shoulders.“I wouldn’t do that if I were you…” whispered Rarkasha into Arikan’s ear. Arikan shivered. Rarkasha ran one of his fingers over the back of Arikan’s hand, tracing a circle that began to glow with power.“This is my promise… make sure you remember it,” whispered Rarkasha as Arikan clenched his teeth in sudden pain. A small blue-green marble had somehow embedded itself into the back of his hand, where he had traced his finger.“F-fuck you…” growled Arikan“Yes, I’m sure you’d love to do that,” purred Rarkasha, then disengaging himself. “But I’m afraid this means you’ve accepted. Oh, don’t look at me like that. It isn’t cursed or anything. But you will grow to like it… trust me. I can provide you with information and supplies through that link. One-of-a-kind. But I’m afraid it isn’t very popular, as you have just experienced. I won’t force you to do this. But you have to agree: there is something unique to gain from this.” Arikan nodded reluctantly, ashamed that this simple minor noble, a new minor noble, at that, had gotten through his defenses.“Why don’t you do this yourself? I bet you can see a lot of things with your powers. You probably don’t even have to travel.”“I really do wish it was that simple. But I have duties, and my power isn’t unlimited. I have to think a lot of things in advance when I write runes. But enough of that. I suggest you leave now. I will give you further instructions later. Oh, and take this,” added Rarkasha, giving Arikan a slip of paper with his seal on it,” Think of it as a Gong Lian Passport. Nothing official, mind you, but it is a weighty suggestion to shopkeepers to give you supplies, in case you run into an emergency and can’t contact me. I must warn you that those who might question my actions can track you more easily this way.” Arikan nodded, and put it away in a pocket. He paused, as I to say something, the turned around and left. Rarkasha smiled, and looked over to the side, to one of the other doorways.“You can come out now,” said Rarkasha, sounding bemused. A woman, no, a girl, walked out. She was of average size, but possessing a simple, tomboyish beauty. Her brown hair was cropped short and pulled back with a neckerchief, her green eyes shone with curiosity. She walked over to the piano bench.“Well Mina,” said Rarkasha,” I trust you saw our little exchange?”“Of course. You were a little harsh on the boy, don’t you think?” she said, only a little serious“It is not my fault if he is confused,” said Rarkasha, smiling“I do like how he jumped though,” she giggled, hitting Rarkasha on the shoulder. She put on a mock frown.“Seriously, though, I know you picked him for his looks,” she scolded.“I picked him because he is like me. Though, to be honest, I don’t mind being able to keep in touch with a face like that.”“You’re hopeless, you know that?”“… He has a long way to go before he can let someone into his heart,” said Rarkasha, suddenly somber,” Keep an eye out for him. You’re both new to this land. But so am I. I need your eyes, Mina.”“We’re foreigners. Obviously so,” she added,” How can we remain incognito?”“You’re forgetting the tourism here. If that fails, you can just say you’re employed by me, punch them in the face, and fun like all get out,” he deadpanned.“Really, really hopeless…” --- The first step is admitting I have a problem.

AngelGuardian93

Re: As amber rays filter through the window...

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

(*applaude* Do go on.) There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Return to “Barony of Antya”