Mons Clistiro

Moderators: Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Jonas

Mons Clistiro

Post by Jonas »

I will order the 'creation' of a new city to honour my long, prosperious ( :p ) reign as Dutch of Kildare.
This city will get the name Mons Clistiro, reffering to the Soloralist God Clistiro (and Mons is latin of Mont or Mountain).
The city is meant as last safe city and military complex of Kildare in times of wars.
In the past, much counts and even Dukes and Barons have retreated to this place (where is now a small Soloralist temple) when they were losing a war. The tidal island lies before the Antyan coast line on a little mountain above the sea water. It's only possible to enter the city on certain hours, when the sea level drops and a road appears.
This city is the place where Dukes will get 'crowned', it will be known as coronation city.

While I'm writing, the city is growing. But I need to add it on a map... once I know where the city is exactly... :thumbsup

The city is in fact based on the French city Mont Saint-Michel. Now my activity in Batavia will drop (I'm on pension ;) ), I will invest my time in the Dutchy (and Barony) more.

I will try to restore old Kildarian traditions, force my enemies (Baron Andreas and the rebels) to bow for my power and restore order! That is what I will do while I create new traditions!

Long live the Dutch!
Leve de Dutch!
ÇaUa ga gaæag!
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Jonas

Re: Mons Clistiro

Post by Jonas »

A picture of the city, made by myself (except the city itself, that's something I didn't make :( ) :

From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

* falls into cartographic trance *

Need... map... location... for... city...
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Sounds most nifty, my Duke. A sea timed moat. Everyone will want one now!
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

It's copyrighted and annexed by the Kildarian Annexation Company (KAC). :D

I will work on this city, together with (hopefully) making a map, but one question. A Dutch doesn't get crowned. So we need to find a way to get approval that the Kildarian Dukes get crowned. :document

Oroigawa Koreyasu

Post by Oroigawa Koreyasu »

Jonas wrote:It's copyrighted and annexed by the Kildarian Annexation Company (KAC).
Aw man, too bad I'm not YAC, otherwise I'd annex that...
Oroigawa Koreyasu
Count of McCallavre, Straylight
Count of Lesser Attera, Kildare
Count of Asantelian, Brookshire

Chairman, Senate of the Lakes, Hurmu

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

We won't... yet. This is a good way to get around the mass annexations rule. Let these pretenders to the glory of annexation get some stuff, then annex them and get it all for ourselves. :evil
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Evil Yardistani mindes are plotting against the Dutch and the KAC? :demon

*Throws grenade to Benkern*
:tomcutterhamonfire

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

I'm not plotting against you; being annexed is a glorious fate for any institution, person, object, concept etc. :thumbsup
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Silence! You did BOOM several hours ago! :tomcutterhamonfire

It would be a honor if you annex me after my 'death'. :thumbsup

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

The map. And about the cartographic problem Ari, I will work on it. ;)

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

If you want a city that's accessible only at low tide, you're going to want a big tidal range (difference in the height of water between low tide and high tide). Especially high tidal ranges, such as those in the Bay of Fundy, are caused by tidal resonance.

* calculates *

I need Micras's surface gravity... 9.8955 m/s^2. I'll assume the continental shelves are around 100m deep around Kildare. That would make the speed of long waves about... 31 m/s, so, ever so slightly faster than on Earth, thanks to the higher gravity. The depth will of course be highly fudgeable if need be later on in these calculations... for instance, a shelf depth of 200m gives us a wave speed of about 45 m/s, meaning we can get resonance out of a smaller bay. But let's see..

Tarsica's revolution period is 27.321582 (Earth) days, (aka 23.36573 Micras days, but we don't need that number). Its orbit has roughly the same shape as Luna's. This makes the tidal day on Micras... 1.222ish Earth days. A tidal period (from one high tide to another) is half of that, and you get the most tidal resonance if the width of the continental shelf is a quarter of the wavelength.

Putting the numbers together, a 100m deep bay on Micras with significant tidal resonance needs to be about 415 km long. By comparison, a bay of similar depth on Earth would have to be about 300 km long. The difference comes mostly from Micras's longer day. On the equator, that's about 37 pixels. Which means, basically, that the city has to be somewhere on the north end of Carama Bay, because otherwise there just isn't anything on Kildare's coast that has anywhere near the right shape or size for tidal resonance, even after accounting for possible deeper continental shelfs and for distortion in the map projection.

So, with all of that said, my proposal for the location of Mons Clistiro:

What say you?

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

:o

Like always...

very impressing...

And it isn't a bad place (maybe even better then on the coast of Schlangen). I think, if Andreas agrees, to approve it. :thumbsup

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Technically it's largely meaningless without a sea depth map... but I don't know if Max has published that yet...

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Yeah yeah, smart guy (no really, not meant bad ;) ).
You have proven your point, but Kildarians don't listen to facts!

Err... maybe I could listen this time... :magigarp

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Ari had enough technical jargon in his post for me to just nod and say yes :smashy

We'll put it there.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Oroigawa Koreyasu

Post by Oroigawa Koreyasu »

Aha! NOW I KNOW YOUR WEAKNESS! :evil :mal :evil :evil :mal :mal
Oroigawa Koreyasu
Count of McCallavre, Straylight
Count of Lesser Attera, Kildare
Count of Asantelian, Brookshire

Chairman, Senate of the Lakes, Hurmu

Return to “Dutchy of Kildare”