Description of Kildare

Moderators: Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Jonas

Description of Kildare

Post by Jonas »

Kildare, Birthplace of Civilizations

Summary
Kildare, Birthplace of Modern Civilization. Home of the Lumina, mother of Malarbor. A Du(t)chy with an amazing amount of history. Legends. Myths. Mysteries. Religion. Civil War. Simply put: a lot of fun.

Geography
Kildare is located on the continent Apollonia and is the most eastern located part of the Imperial Republic of Shireroth. It's separated from the rest of the Empire by the Shirerithian Sea, which explains its (often) isolationist policies. It's a gigantic mass of land, but the same time it's sparsely populated. While the coast line is often habituated by the Kildari, the inland is often very sparsely (or even not) populated. At the coast, around the Antya River (the largest river of Kildare) and around Lake Christoph the people often live concentrated in or near cities. Most exceptions are the farmers, which often own such large pieces of farmland that they can't afford to go living in the city.
Those who live inland live isolated and in small communities. These communities are often self-sufficient and are in most cases only visited by the tax agency and merchants.

Civil service
Kildare has a long-standing and proud military tradition, dating back from before the formation of the Dutchy of Kildare. It lends this tradition from the Blackrockian days (the Gregorian year 2000). That's why every Kildarian who becomes 18 year old has to serve for atleast a year in the local militia of the Count (the army is not a state affair, nor is it a Duchal affair).

Population
It's hard to say that Kildare has just one population group. It's a common mistake, but nonetheless stays... a mistake. For a long time it has been a welcome home to people who had no place to go (by a lot of people it is believed that Kildare is the place where the first people lived and thereafter spread across the globe). However, since the rule of Kaiser Hasan I (3127–3257 ASC) the number of Babhkans had sufficiently been reduced (or exterminated would be a better word) as a result of angry Kildari who didn't like the idea of a Babhkan take-over.
The religious wars and conflicts brought often unrest to the Dutchy, as the counties around the Antyan River have been a Soloralist heaven in a country in which Cedrism dominates. The Religious Freedom brought peace to the counties and Soloralism became a dominant religion at the Ducal court (even if the Dutch was a Cedrist).

At the beginning of the 5th millennium Apollo City and the surrounding counties became a popular place for immigrants. Nowadays, the largest group of new citizens are Batavians who flees for the busy life in their fatherland. Other immigrant groups are Nelagans, Gralans, Stormarkians and Anticans. During the Elwynnese independence, there was a small influx of Elwynnese who wanted to seek a new life in more stable regions.

Population map, dating back to the UAS but still useful to give an impression of the distribution of the population.

Transport
Kildare is famous for its transport network. Not because of its quality, but because of its quantity (or the lack of it): Kildare is probably the largest region on Micras without proper roads or other decent transport network. Only since 3751 ASC, a company named Kildfare was created which had to develop a decent railroad to connect south and north which each other (most of this rail road was made with money from the Kildarian isles and Apollo City).

Economy
The Kildarian economy is one of the most diverse of the world. Thanks to counties as Audentior (which has the large city of Apollo City) and the isles of Gong Li and Melangia the Kildarian economy is lifted to Shirerithian standards. The other parts, the mainland, is faced with a backward economy and an unwillingness to change: farmers want to stay farmers, mine workers and their bosses don't want to hear about new technologies, etc.
This, however gives Kildare great potential: it's fully self-sufficient and actually doesn't need to sell goods, as the old-fashioned Kildari still live as they did long, long ago. With the only difference: Apollo City and some minor cities.

The north of Kildarian mainland is rich of natural resources: gold and uranium are often sold to other parts of the Empire. In Middle and South Kildare the harvest and the wood of trees give the Dutchy an economic benefit.

Politics
The political system of the Dutch is one which has developed through the years. Its roots lie deep in the history of the countries which ruled the Kildarian lands before they eventually collapsed: Blackrock, Audentior, Automatica, Demesos, etc.
While the Kildarian system is seen as the 'most pure Shirerithian feudalism' by a lot of the local population, it also has some characteristics of a democracy. The Seanad, existing of the Kildarian nobility, is the most powerful political instrument, next to the Dutch. The Dutch is seen as most important noble and representative of the Kaiser towards the population.

The counts themselves have a lot of power. This is the result of years of isolation and even some strong and powerful Dukes couldn't succeed in breaking their power completely.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Falkner van der Sluijs

Re: Description of Kildare

Post by Falkner van der Sluijs »

Beautiful! :thumbsup
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Thank You, My Grace. :worship
Perhaps you want to add something, focussing a bit on your own county? :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Falkner van der Sluijs

Post by Falkner van der Sluijs »

I will be working on my county in the near future.
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Good to hear, My Grace. :worship

*Kneels*

Gil'les Mel'ang

Post by Gil'les Mel'ang »

Pretty good Description of Kildare. :thumbsup

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Thank you, but I think it still needs some expanding. For example, there is nothing about the new counties in West Shireroth (I will call it like that). It's just focussing on the mainland :document

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

The Kildarian Militias often wear traditional clothes. The colours refer to those of the Dutchy (blue and white). They wear a halberd, which can be removed and changed into a gun.
Kildarian Seanad Knights.png
Kildarian Seanad Knights.png (240.87 KiB) Viewed 5574 times

Return to “Dutchy of Kildare”