War

Moderators: Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Andreas the Wise

War

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Is a winding down, so what shall Kildare do now (that my time is becoming freed up)? 72 erb to the person with the most effective idea!
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jess

Re: War

Post by Jess »

Be annexed by Yardistan

Andreas the Wise

I think you already did that, and we ignored it. :document
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

We can't get annexed by Yardistani. They aren't worth it to rule over the birthplace of modern civilization! :no :p
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

Build a Kildare internal economic system based on the MITO resource map, using those resources in our territory defined in slightly more detail so that each County has resources. We might define other resources not currently on the map.

A suggestion for one of the resources might be labor; I´m sure we can come up with others; asphalt to build roads, iron that is made into nails for building, a blacksmith (developed into a manufacturer) to make building tools, a saw mill to turn trees into lumber for building. It would be possible to go into as much detail as is wanted or to assume certain levels of details that can change as the system develops.

A first step might be placing the map of Kildare on a grid with rather large plots, placing the raw resources on the map in each plot but not revealing where each resource lies. Sell the plots by grid co-ordinates and then tell the person what resource lies within the plot once ty purchase the plot. The person can develop the resource, sell the plot, or lease it out. - or leave it undeveloped.

Labor: Each person has say 8 work hours in any given day. Production levels are such that so much of a resource can be developed by a single person in a given number of hours. All manual labor at first and later if that business develops industrial level machines by making them or buying them; the production per person per hour would go up.

There would be more possible production than a person has the ability to produce in 8 hours and thus each person would have to choose what they produce. The person would have to own the plot of land where the resource lies, be leasing the plot of land, or work for someone who does have rights to develop the resource.

A simple post that counts only for the day it is posted would decide how much production a person does in a given day
- 3 hours fishing, 2 hours making bricks, 1 hour mining tin, 1 hour mining copper, 1 hour making brass.

Of course to make brass the person would need enough tin and copper and have the necessary tools.

The person might work for a business which sells the production and pays wages or they might work for themselves if they own the land where the raw material is located.

The production level might be:
1 hour fishing = food for 3 meals
1 hour making bricks = bricks for 12 sq. ft. of wall
1 hour building house made of bricks = 4 sq. ft. of wall (must have required material and tools)
1 hour mining tin = 200 lbs
1 hour mining copper = 300 lbs
1 hour making brass: needs 500 lbs. tin and 400 lbs. coppers, 100 lbs. coal = yields 350 lbs brass
1 hour making road = 10 ft. of roadway (must say which road is being built)

Also, define production levels and required usage levels for those who participate in the economy so there are parameters for ongoing production, usage, and trade.

This internal economic system should be at the level of the Count; where there is no Count the Baron runs that county, and o Baron the Duke. Also, where there are those in the County who are not noble, those people should be allowed to run a local business that develops and sells the local resource. These people would also participate in the purchase and usage of items they don´t produce.

We could tie in infrastructure development of Kildare with the internal economy. The building of roads and bridges etc; along with the mapping of that infrastructure. The grid map could have some of this in advance if desired or the land needed could be sold back to the government. If the plot or the edges needed for a road isn´t yet sold it could just be taken by the government and marked on the grid map. The goods and labor would have to be defined in advanced and purchased from within to build the roads, and labor would have to be posted.

(Perhaps so many miles, meters, feet, of road can be build with a certain amount of raw material and done within a certain time by a given amount of labor).

The business activity of those resources should be tied to the Erb with the intent of eventually bringing in other Duchies to the internal economic system as they want to join.
Last edited by Austi_Scot on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

May Kaiser Mises I rule soon.
-----------------------------
Former Citizen
One Time Order of The Phoenix
Impartial Envisionor

Baron Von_Scot of Hallucination
The future Kaiser Mises I
Former Cessor of Shireroth.
What does the Cessor do?

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

We are feudal, isn't it? We can introduce a currency equal to the Erb (in fact, we just give it another name). France had more then 20 currencies in middle ages, but was one country (alright, not very united but...).

I support the economic idea. We can sell uranium, from our uranium mines. :thumbsup
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

Sure, a Kildarian coinage - if permitted - would be great.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

There's interest in an internal resource system? :surprise

As 'that Economics Guy' I guess I'm honour bound to investigate this further. I'll be in contact later, but may I first ask a few questions to check we're on the same wavelength. Austi, are you plans that:
We act as individuals (like you need a real person to do work) or on behalf of simulated people (like you can hire as many labourers as you want for a fee, and you're like the boss).
Counties are highly subdivided (like a number of small squares/plots per county) or each County just has one or two resources in it (so we'd just rough divide existing counties into two or three parts, depending on size)
Resources are based entirely off the resource map, or we just say "right, these resources we can fit in with eachother" and only tie into the resource map where possible?
Finally, what does participation in this entail beyond mere simulation? Will there be an exchange rate between internal currency and erbs? Will we sell finished products to only eachother, or to simulated people? Will you have to do this to build anything in the Duchy now etc ....
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

I was thinking we act as individuals; however the idea of simulated people is just fine with me if that´s what most people like. If simulated people are used the idea should be incorporated throughout the economy, from production to usage. The more I answer your other questions the more I start to like the idea of simulated people - but I remain open to both.

I also think if we use simulated people you shouldn´t be able to hire as many laborers as you want but that some sort of device should be in place for the overall population - perhaps development of the infrastructure and buildings in a given area.

----------
I was thinking the subdivision of counties on the plot grid would depend on the various types of resources we decide to use and how many different resources there are. I would say we can subdivide with as few areas as we need at first and subdivide further if the need is there. With fewer subdivisions we can sell the "right" to work in a given area of a county and sell it to say two or three people if we want. - either way works for me.

While a given county may have a resource that is available in another county, it might have a resource that isn´t available elsewhere. The same resource should be available on a number of plots in order to possibly cause competition.
One plot of land might be only good for farming and another plot only for mining, while another plot might be good for a couple of things, but can only be used to produce one resource.

Someone might be farming on plot that has natural gas or oil beneath the surface and simple not know it. Someone might buy a plot that has a forest for timber and game. Cutting the trees for lumber means they drive away the game; taking the game means they can´t take the trees for lumber.

Using a plot to farm means you can´t raise cattle on it, or mine it, or put an ind----
I think we start with the resources on the MITO map so that we can have a base to tie in with other economies. I think we also might come up with other resources that we might want in our economy. We can add resources on our map as we decide to have that particular one available in our economy, or even remove a given resource if we so decide.

So if we don´t start with every type of resource on the MITO, we can add when and if we want - just place in a grid area. Make an announcement that a certain resource is now on the map and that via an exploration fee of a given plot a person can find out what is on that plot. (Maybe start that way too - don´t reveal what a plot has unless a person pays an exploration fee, and maybe a back story of the exploration too.)
---------

We are talking about a Kildarian coinage - I favor the currency being gold and the government, at first anyways - owning all the gold mines. At first the government hires people to work in the gold mines, say 1 hour of gold mining = 5 lbs. of gold and a coin = 1 ounce. Thus an hour of work mining gold can produce 80 (whatever the coinage is called). In this way the government can control how much currency is in the economy. The person gets a pay out of the 80 for their work and government uses the rest - maybe to hire people to build the roads - people use the money to buy or lease plots of land which later can be developed.

Of course people are allowed to barter their goods and services to each other also.

Later the government can raise funds via taxes and other fees at each level - Duchy, Barony, County. Maybe even require a part of what is traded via barter.

If another Duchy joins in the simulation, a resource map is made to include them. They might have their own currency and thus an exchange rate might develop. I´m thinking the government doesn´t artificially set that exchange rate, but let it develop between people - let them trade the currency as they wish.

As far as an exchange rate betwee and the Erb - I think the same. Let people exchange it as they wish. The Kildarian currency will need its´ own bank. If someone wants to go into the business of selling and buying the various currencies - let the price of one currency in the terms of another be set by the buyer and seller. It´s simply a matter of the government allowing it, not controlling it.
----------------

For the selling and buying of finished goods we will need to determine what finished goods are consumable at what rate, and which are needed for a given endeavor. We can add and adjust these as we find a need or desire. A person might be slightly more productive if they own a house and a little more productive if they heat that house. They might be more productive if it´s a brick house rather than a wood house.

A business might be more productive if they own a factory, an office, have a road built next to their plot, have machinery, or anything else we can think to add. We can add these variations in as we go and adjust them when we want and as we see fit.

We will need to develop a both an amount of raw material used to do something and the amount of finished goods consumed. If it takes a certain volume of gas or oil to heat a house for a given day, that gas or oil is then consumed.

We might use eating at some point when there is the production capability of food but not require it. A person might be slightly more productive if they consume 1 meal a day, more productive if they have 2 meals, and higher if they eat 3 times a day. We can add or adjust this when the time comes. At first if no one farms or fish or raises cattle or hunts game - there might be no food production.
------------

If we have simulated people I think we will need to sell things for the simulated people. Whoever hires them might have to see to it that enough food is purchased, enough housing is available etc: _ I´m not sure how to sell finished products directly to simulated people, doing so might allow someone to say "simulated Joe50,000 lbs of fish from me. I would say "let simulated Joe" pay you. -

This might be a method to limit both the number of simulated population and the amount of currency while making a need for cash flow.
-------------

To the question of having to do this in order to build anything in the Duchy .... We could tie it in if we want. For instance, I´m getting ready to start up the Microton Naval Base and the Hallucigrad Library. We might say that I need to purchase raw material and labor to get those things built. We might also say that those things are not part of the Kildarian economy - they were considered part of overall Shireroth.

I favor placing them in the Kildarian economy with a grandfather clause that allows for all currently built items. Adding to current things built would need resources from the economy. I would say the town marked on the map are just town plots at this point in time. Perhaps housing and roads and methods of transportation to and from work need to be built for the simulated people.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

Simulated people buying brings up a whole new kettle of fish. However, acting as "governors" is quite another thing. My thought would be to do resource consumption a bit like MITO too - you get workers (citizens), who can mine/harvest/produce a certain amount of resources. While they can work at a basic level for nothing but wages, they'll work more productively as you get them extra resources. The more they have, the more exotic their tastes ll start with just food and clothes, and later be wanting luxury goods and so on.

I don't like the idea of saying "all current towns are just plots" because they're not - these are towns that have stood on Kildare for ages. But we could certainly produce new, smaller settlements from the ground up - perhaps travel time is worked in and so you may wish to add new settlements into your 'plot' to make your workers more productive.

Your idea - let the market work - for exchange is a good one. Yes, that means we need an initial distribution of starting stuff, but after that, we'll let people earn the resources needed to get more things.

A question though - is the aim for an economy or for trade or for self-sufficiency? For example, it's quite possible to make the system focus on the expansion and further accumulation of resources to expand as an end in itself. Trade would only be for what you don't already have access to - a lot at first, but less as time progresses. Any "exchange" (beyond between you and your workers) would be between you and other real people (other governors). Of course, if we want there to be more trade, we have to make more reason to do so.

As for a bank ... ideally such a bank would keep track of our resources and everything. We'll have to talk to Erik.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

Ok - it sounds like you favor simulated people. I know that some people are ok with simulated people and some people aren´t. I´m looking for the these things - a fun economy, not restricting who can participate, making it easy to administer, easy to adapt to changes, and making it possible for others to adopt

The currs don´t need to be just plots, I was just thinking that each towns infrastructure and buildings could be built up with the resources. Adding new settlements and building them up is good along with your idea of the travel time to and from work.

I agree, a starting distribution plan, but let people decide the sale and buying price of the goods and services they trade. We should build in need and desire for goods and services and consumption. The plan should be flexible enough to add things like this in without scraping the whole plan and starting over. Too many economic plans are scraped and started over.

I´m thinking the aim would be for an economy. Perhaps sports become a part of it and if you buy tickets for your workers you have more productive workers.

I´m thinking the aim would also be for trade. At first perhaps only trade within Kildare, when we get it going and are having fun at it others might want to join their Duchy in, create their own currency etc: - then trade would expand.

If that calls for a rewrite of the resource map, so be it. Perhaps a mine is depleted, the soil stops producing, the fish migrate. Maybe there will be government bailouts when that happens. If an expansion can be done with other Duchies perhaps it can be done with other nations, should Shireroth allow.

A need for trade is that your goods and services are consumed by others and theirs are consumed by you. If you can produce everything you need there is no need for an economy.

A bank that can keep track of resources would be great. I take it people could then trade without much administration except perhaps adding new production of a given item to their account. Would this require each account to have a full resource list along with a money position and then the system to have a person ; "treasurer", "comptroller" who deposits their additional production each week or so? Once in the bank people could trade their goods or sell them as they want?

How would this work for consumable goods? is in the bank how does the system know it is used up for a given purpose such as people eating, or using the item to build infrastructure?

---------
Side note: I have been out of work for 4 months and just found a job. At the end of this week I will be moving and after that may be off line for a short time while I find a house. I may live in a short term apartment for a couple of weeks. Not sure what internet access I will have.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

The currency needs to be something more original then just 'gold'. We can chose to take an old currency of one of the old civilisations that are now part of Kildare. Or Kildari, or even the translation of 'Kildari' in Halluci language.

Andreas the Wise

'Simulated people' is such an odd term. I actually picked it up from an economy which does things quite differently from the way I'm proposing. It had formulas for how the population would buy your good. I guess mine's more ... NPCs ... workers who consume goods, but can't be forced to buy things at exorbitant prices. We need some sort of NPCs somewhere because a resource based economy with three people acting on behalf of themselves only is obviously going to fail.

Looking at the MCS resource map for Kildare, Kildare's actually very, very nicely set up to exploit this opportunity. We have gold (for currency). We have two types of food, two types of luxury food, two building materials (stone and wood), two power sources (gas and coal), and even some transport (camels) and clothing (fur). The only things we're really missing is metal - and that's quite appropriate as a problem that faces all of Shireroth - we're under-resourced in metal.

Ideally, I'd like to make this system incorporatable with MITO trade. Not in the sense that, say, the Cerulean trade rep would ever go up to you and say "can I buy x that you're producing from that mine", but in the sense that it uses the same types of resources, a similiar concept re:population, and that resources not producable within the nation can be brought in via MITO trade. When we have it working, it could eventually be offered to other interested nations as "the next level up from MITO."

My thoughts are re:currency - we make gold the basis. We can name it something different, but the basic currency is a single unit of gold.
A unit of gold is a days wage for a hired labourer to produce one unit of another resource. They work at basic efficiency for a unit of gold. So essentially, you can always convert gold 1:1 with any other resource. However, apart from starting, you'll have very little gold, as the Duke controls all the mines. (I'll have to play three roles - Baron, Duke and MiniTrade. Duke and MiniTrade will operate on strict rules).
The Duke merely mines gold. However, paying a gold piece to mine one more gold doesn't make much sense, so the Duke will try and buy the resources needed to build a little settlement up around the goldmine. He'll always pay with gold. He'll also generally stockpile resources - any resource can be sold back to him (as long as his supply isn't too massive) - 2 units of any resource for one unit of gold. If that number doesn't work, we can later change it - but it provides a "buyer of last resort" for unneeded resources. The Duke will also sell plots of land for gold, and earns income that way. That means, some way or another, you're going to need to earn more gold to be able to buy more land ...

MiniTrade operates as it does in MITO, but on a smaller scale. Each day (or perhaps each week, we'll see how many labourers people hire) they get as many resources as we get in from imports in MITO. At the end of each day, if those resources are not sold, they get consumed by the public. MiniTrade will buy any resources Shireroth exports, up to the value for one day. So essentially, you can trade with MiniTrade for the rare goods that aren't produceable in Kildare, and give him the goods that are produceable in Kildare. I'll work out prices later.

Now, hired labourers - obviously you want to save your gold for buying further plots, so you'd prefer not to pay your labourers that. Instead of hiring labourers, you can get citizens who'll work for you for room and board. There are pre-established amounts you consume for building and food etc, at different levels. Higher levels of living make workers more productive, and also allow more people to live in each area (there's a limit to how many can live in one plot, and the further away, the more travel time). There are unlimited labourers willing to work for the one gold piece, and for that wage, they won't worry about travel time, but you'll have to build your other workers up over time to make them more productive.

I'm free from work tomorrow, so I'll do a more serious proposal then. Just to confirm - Jonas, you are interested in this? Because it'd be stupid to do for just two people.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

The currency needs to be something more original then just 'gold'. We can chose to take an old currency of one of the old civilisations that are now part of Kildare. Or Kildari, or even the translation of 'Kildari' in Halluci language.
For certain - I didn´t mean to say we should call it gold, only that it should be gold backed and tgold backed by labor. So if we mine 5 lbs of gold and make that convert into 80 coins, then we issue 80 Kildari - or whatever name we choose for the currency.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

NPC´s are a great idea - then we hire them. If you hire an NPC you must provide food, housing, transportation, etc: and pay a wage. I kinda like the idea of having to buy those things for the NPCs you hire. The more NPCs you hire the more you can produce. The wage you pay NPCs goes to the government - part to each level, (Duchy, Barony, County) - the goods you have to buy from other players.

We could use the MCS resource map just as it is, not add anything since we have almost everything, as you pointed out, and hope to bring in others who have the additional resources. With the addition of NPCs to consume we would have a method for consumption and cash flow. If the government produces the gold to back the currency and gets the labor wage for the NPCs, the government can then pay for infrastructure. Other taxes and fees can be developed as needed.

As far as gold being the only metal we have - so we have to pave our highways with gold.

I like the idea of making our system incorporated with the MITO trade system. We just won´t produce any resource we don´t have on their resource map and we´ll just have to buy it. I would say that the Barony or County should also get some of the profit from the MITO trade for resources sold from the Barony or County. Making it an upgrade system for others in MITO is a great idea. We can work out the kinks.

We´ll just add in NPCs who consume and are hired from the government.
A unit of gold is a days wage for a hired labourer to produce one unit of another resource. They work at basic efficiency for a unit of gold. So essentially, you can always convert gold 1:1 with any other resource.

I actually am not sure I understand exactly what you mean for this concept because it sounds as if it sets the price of everything at exactly the same level. I woutied to a production level per hour or per day per NPC as you say, but not tied to the price of other goods and services, so that everyone can make their own deals for those items; let the market work. The government simple decides if more gold production is needed to add money into the system or to use for other purposes.

He'll [the Duke] also generally stockpile resources - any resource can be sold back to him (as long as his supply isn't too massive) - 2 units of any resource for one unit of gold. If that number doesn't work, we can later change it - but it provides a "buyer of last resort" for unneeded resources.

I´ld rather there not be a "buyer of last resort". If a person over produces a good - too bad for them, they stockpile it until they can sell it. Perhaps they have to lower their price. They might have to put their NPCs to work doing something else - or fire some. Let those decisions be up to the person who owns the production of the good, and let the market work. This is how managing the economy will be less work for MiniTrd and more fun for everyone.

Have every noble required to hire NPCs to do government work a certain number of hours each week. This was done in feudal times. The Duke decides if more gold is needed to add money into the economy and requires the work of each Nobles workforce - and perhaps a Baron makes the requirements for the Counts.

The Duke decides how much labor is needed to build a road and requires it of the Nobles. (Feudal society)

I recognize there would be little gold to back the currency at first, but it would grow and the overall supply of gold would be regulated - the Duke could do it through the Minister of Kildarian Trade (or whatever we call the position) (I favor a Feudal title). There might come a time when the Duke doesn´t have to be the Minister.

The Duke could appoint Ministers - the Minister of Kildarian Interior could be responsible for the infrastructure. That could be the pnd bridges and such while the Nobles are required to hire NPCs to build it at a level and rate determined by the Duke. If the Duke is too oppressive he might have a rebellion on his hands.

The Duke could appoint a Minister of the Exterior (by whatever feudal name) who has the job of letting the other Duchies know about our economy and how it´s being built and progressing. - and why we would like them to join in.

The Duke will also sell plots of land for gold, and earns income that way. That means, some way or another, you're going to need to earn more gold to be able to buy more land ...
I like this except I would say Kildare earns the money and the Barony and County get a cut.

I like the idea of the basic operation being as it is in MITO (with the NPCs for consumption added) I may need to hear more details on the resources we get in from imports in MITO and how they are purchased and consumed in the Kidlarian economy.

Now, hired labourers - obviously you want to save your gold for buying further plots, so you'd prefer not to pay your labourers that. Instead of hiring labourers, you can get citizens who'll work for you for room and board. There are pre-established amounts you consume for building and food etc, at different levels. Higher levels of living make workers more productive, and also allow more people to live in each area (there's a limit to how many can live in one plot, and the further away, the more travel time). There are unlimited labourers willing to work for the one gold piece, and for that wage, they won't worry about travel time, but you'll have to build your other workers up over time to make them more productive.
This sounds good.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

Barons and Counts getting a cut sounds great in principle. Looking at it practically though, we're all Barons (apart from Nick, and he probably won't join in.) If we get a cut off buying our own land ... it seems a little ... odd.

One gold being the days wage is easiest I think, and each resource being in "units" where one unit is "the amount produced by a worker in one day payed one unit of gold". I do units for two reasons:
1. MITO's in units.
2. It's a lot simpler than trying to work out how much exactly each thing would realistically produce and then trying to trade 5 fish for 10 planks of wood or whatever. If it's all in units of comparable effort, then it's easier.

EDIT: As for the rest of the stuff, I'll draw up a draft proposal tommorow.
EDIT2: While I have a free twenty minutes ....

This is the resources near and on Kildare, on the basic MCS resource map. Bear in mind that the MCS published several more detailed resource maps, in MITO groupings. One of the beauties of the "more detailed" maps is that it shows an impartial 'spread' of resources around the icon - so, for example, we have access to the Silver, General Farming and Fur that, on that map, looks like it's in Holzborg, but crosses over into our land. I'll use that as a basis for what resources are accessible on each plot, but happily allow overlap and minor deposits of other things that aren't on the resource map for Kildare, but are overall resources. I think each plot will have a maximum production per-day - that is, at absolute maximum efficiency, you could produce, for example, 20 Food and 10 wood on one plot. You *could* do all that by hiring workers on gold, but you'd be better to build up citizens and efficiency (so eventually you might have 30 citizens who'll produce a total of 60 resources per day). Ideally there'd be about a 100 of each resource around each icon (to fit with MITO overall), but we'll see how those numbers work. It'll all be trials for a month or two.

So yes, tommorow I'll start a full proposal and see what we can get working.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

I think each plot will have a maximum production per-day - that is, at absolute maximum efficiency, you could produce, for example, 20 Food and 10 wood on one plot.

Having production levels is good and is a major part of what I´m talking about. Production levels for the amount of gold mined and turned into currency should be a part of that.
You *could* do all that by hiring workers on gold, but you'd be better to build up citizens and efficiency (so eventually you might have 30 citizens who'll produce a total of 60 resources per day).
Yes, a way to increase productivity. A Noble could change around his NPC (peasant) workforce and produce more of something and less of another at any given time. This would be good.

I´m hopeful we will also have consumption levels. Each NPC consumes a certain amount of food each day. Each building consumes a certain amount of heating supply each day, etc:

However, the following is something I don´t like at all. To me it takes the fun out of it all.
One gold being the days wage is easiest I think, and each resource being in "units" where one unit is "thet produced by a worker in one day payed one unit of gold". I do units for two reasons:
1. MITO's in units.
2. It's a lot simpler than trying to work out how much exactly each thing would realistically produce and then trying to trade 5 fish for 10 planks of wood or whatever. If it's all in units of comparable effort, then it's easier.
If people want to trade 5 fish for 10 planks of wood, let them - don´t set how much each item is worth.

Why do you think you have to set up comparable units? - I think of the units as production levels of each resource.

10 peasants produce one unit of wood (planks), 20 will produce two units.
It takes 12 units of planks to build a small house that will be shelter for 5 peasants.
(something along these lines) - We can set them as we go and change them if we want.
Make the reporting for changes only allowed once per week or two weeks or once per month. They stand until the next report. If no report - no changes.

I might report:
I change my peasants to these diffferent jobs:
10 mining silver
5 farming
15 working on that stupid road the Duke ordered.
2 making tea for the Baron

I use:
12 units of planks to build a house.
1800 units of food to feed the peasants for the next month.
20 units of paving material to build on to that stupid road the Duke ordered.

I do not like the government setting the price of goods.

The price to get a peasant NPC under the system, a gold per day per NPC seems high to me. I think in our feudal system it would be better if a Noble payed a onetime price per peasant to live on his land and the production level was tied to the number of peasants the Noble put to work doing a certain job, as you mentioned.

I might put 10 NPC peasants to work fishing and only 2 to work making planks of woods. I would have the amount of fish a peasant can produce x10 and the amount of planks produced x 2 (the work of 2 peasants). A peasant should only be able to work a given number of hours/day, no more than say 20.he Noble has to decide how much to produce according to the demand in the market place and has to trade in the market place for whatever price he can get the other Noble to agree to sell or buy.

Each resource being in units is a necessity in order to tell how much is produced, traded, and consumed.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

I think you seriously misunderstand how I'm using the word unit. It's not 'the government setting the price' as one gold. One gold is just the basic wage (and those kind of consumption things need to be set). It's the creatoi of the system OOC setting the measurement of each item in something comparable - 'units'.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

Ok - let's get it created and agree we can change things as we go along.

I'm in, no one can expect that each and every thing will be exactly what they want, I certainly don't expect that.

However, if we work together we can come up with an economic system that is fun and will fit in with MITO.

Will a resource bank be needed that has the ability for people to transfer resource units? Would we need a bank that has all possible resources, even those our economy doesn't have to start?

I leave for my new work in about 36 hrs. - I may not have acess for a little time. I expect no more than 2 wks.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Return to “Dutchy of Kildare”