The founding of Machinaria.

Moderators: Erik Mortis, Erik Mortis

Kaiser Ometeotl I

The founding of Machinaria.

Post by Kaiser Ometeotl I »

(BTW: This is all pure crap, and probably doesn't make any sense. But I'll revise it later)

With the near collapse of the Imperial Government, the fall of the houses of the land, the dissertation of Elwynn and Straylight and various other calamities, the lands to be known as the Machinaria was full of refugees, wanderers and vagabonds. The collapse of House Mortis left many in Monty Crisco's industrial centers seeking answers, to fill the holes left by power vacuum. Refugees and loyalists from Straylight and Elwynn, filtering their way down and up into the area brought with them strange ideas, technologies and a diverse cultural heritage.

From this mash of cultures arose a religious order founded by an ex-straylight patriot, who refused to leave with the sancts. With his knowledge of engineering, science and technology he pondered that a machine, while limited, had a certain beauty and divine simplicity. A retired member of the Programmers Guild he preached the word of the Machine God, though converted few followers. It was not until he met a group of Hyperborean travelers, who refused to leave with the Elwynn government, that he truly began to ponder a higher order for his nascent religion.

The Hyperbreans, taught a form of ethical logic that allowed the priest to ponder his machine logical arguments, in terms of how they effected humanity, and the human spirit. This led to a confused, and twisted system of thought. The cold pragmatic logic, of the man could not be reconciled with the ethical systems of the Hyperboreans. In the end he could not conceive of system that he himself could not aspire to, he could never be truly ethical, or ever truly logical.

It was in this malaise of confusion that the man finally met with a hermit from the ancient lands of Goldshire. This hermit expounded to him the role of honour, truth, and honesty....

Okey.. this is to terrible. I tried to run with something Harvey said about Goldshire, but I think I completely misrepresented Hyperborea as Scott envisions it. So I'm gonna give up on this attempt. and try again.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Re: The founding of Machinaria.

With the near collapse of the Imperial Government, the independence movements in Elwynn and Straylight, the lands once controlled by House Mortis lay in ruins. The Industry of Monty Crisco had ground to a halt, lacking any unified local government to coordinate it. The Economic upheaval had destroyed the major corporations that once owned the factories. Thousands were without jobs, society seemed on the verge of collapse.

In this miasma of economic and political depression, a man rose up and expounded a new religion. The Church of the Machine God was not truly that new, but where it had once been solely confined to the guild halls in Shirerkeep, now it was introduced to a waiting and eager population. Thirsty for any glimmer of hope, the people listened, and in turn began to convert in mass to this humanistic religion. Where once they had been seen as the pawns of industry, now they would be the master of it, together. Where once they had seen their country side ravaged for materials and left bare, now they would be stewards. Where once they had been willing to turn on each other, as rabid dogs, now there could see each other as equals, and under a common unified goal. To each there own life was given, but

bah... more emotionally pseudo-messianic crap trap.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Right.. main points.

Machinaria was created by the cultural remains of Straylight, with influences from old Brookshire, Elwynn and Goldshire. The pure logic of Hyperborea, combined with the technological prowess of Straylight, and the emotional awareness of Goldshire. Elwynn's democratic tendencies shine through in the form of government.

Machinarians are a passionate people, but recognize that there are often greater things that must be addressed, and take priorities. In their daily lives Machinarians are vibrant, active, and emotional, but in government they are pragmatic, and recognize that sometimes there is a greater good to be address. Each person is indeed a person, with human rights and a human dignity to be upheld.

A machinarian's work place is simple, austere, extremely utilitarian and efficient. However, their homes are bright, colourful and hospitible. Each person has their own style, some more colourful or austere then others, but generally appreciating the emotional needs, over the pragmatic.

Music and art are extremely important and often the focus of social gatherings. Artistry is encouraged and supported, though not to the detriment of the pragmatic needs of the community. Even artists are expected to contribute materially to the community.

Machinarians experience a wealth of technological and mechanical devices, tools and amenities. Environmentalism is an important aspect of being both an upright member of the community, as well as industry. The scandal of intentionally disrupting the environment is enough to destroy a company.

(Now I'm just getting utopian...)

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Any help?

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Borg!

Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

"Just knee jerk reaction, I just bought "Voyager" on DVD......, don't pay any attention," he said Jonas-like.....

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Maybe a little like the borg, but less hive mind, and more pragmatic humanist.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Keep it up, we need to keep the Straylithian graphics.

You should find Prodigy for this..........

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Where's he floating around these days?

And I like like the Straylight graphics. I'm glad I can make use of them.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Ask Andreas, he had something going in Gralus I think. Nothing on Google after '08.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Prodigy hasn't been around Gralus either much in the last six months or so. If he comes back, I'll be sure to direct him your way. Even if you haven't got the theme quite sorted, it sounds like you're on an excellent track, Erik!
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Yay! Look at Zoidberg! I'm the hero! :)

But anyhoo. I'll have to give this more thought at work tomorrow. Try and see if I can get it to make sense.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

'tis nice to be exploring the relationship between mankind and technology in Shireroth. I mean, if I recall correctly, Byzantium had it as a bit of an abusive one. In Straylight, it was "it's complicated", with occasional arguments and hatesex. It's good to have somewhere where they're happily married :)
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

It's that part of me that made Technomages, and played Alchemical exalted... I like the idea of man and machine in concert, not conflict. I'm also reading Asimov again, so that's kinda influencing me. I've moved away from the darkness of Dune for now.

Nithi Kirenion

Post by Nithi Kirenion »

I don't think you messed up Hyperborea at all.

(I do think you might be secretly trying to lure Ari, myself, and Harvey back in by creating a subdivision that combines Straylightian, Hyperborean, and Goldshirerithian principles, but I'm not saying it's a bad idea)

Kaiser Ometeotl I

I won't deny it.

I like all three of you, and all three of the cultures. I like tech, logic and emotions. It feels like a very natural blending to me. It's one of the reasons I'm pondering asking you to include Hyperborea as part of this new subdivision. I put it in Brookshire cause I had no better place to put it, but I wasn't sure you would be keen on me trying to integrate it into this idea.

Honestly, Hyperborea as I understand it, and Goldshire as Harvey described it, seem like a natural fit to me. And Technology is just fun!

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

I think that, even if you had misinterpreted Hyperborea, that would have been normal since Scott always writes about how foreigners misinterpret Hyperborea.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Hmm... that does sound slightly familiar. And I think I'm working of an old memory of Hyperborean culture.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I like this emotionally pseudo-messianic crap. :p
I think you're on the good way of recreating a new subdivision from the ashes of the old ones (without totally destroying their culture and ignoring history). :yay:
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Thank you Jonas. I just need to find a way to make it not sound like crap for a wiki article.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Perhaps it's time for a certain Prophet to return and proclaim the wishes of the Gods to establish a new, stable and united Benacian Duchy? :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Oh, yes, definitely. You need a Cedrist to save the Machine God worshippers. Just like you need a European to save the Native Americans. Or a human to save the Na'vi. Or... you get the point. Let's not waste the "oppressed people rising up" narrative before we've even really established it, OK? :)
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Just spreading my ideas... :angel

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Ari Rahikkala wrote:Or a human to save the Na'vi.
Wasn't that the entire plot of the movie though?

Kaiser Ometeotl I

I loved the movie.. then I thought about it.. Now I'm kinda 'meh' on the whole idea. Still had fun CJ and combat scenes...

Moving on. I think it's just a matter of me making the admin changes, and a bill before the Landsraad to bestow land that stands in the way of this being a real subdivision.

Return to “Fictional Technocracy Machinaria”