Foreign Affairs

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Andreas the Wise

Foreign Affairs

Post by Andreas the Wise »

We need to do it differently. And I don't have the twenty minutes I need to do this post justice, so dot points it is.

- We have big long pacts with people who have not treated us as good allies. Problem?
- We don't deal well with the people who are still friendly with us. Eg: Gralus - I can count the number of Shirithians (barring myself) who have visited Gralus in the last six months on one hand.
Eg: Nelaga - we've also relied on dual cits there, but haven't done anything to make them properly feel appreciated.
- We should work out what we hope to achieve in foreign affairs. If we're big enough to be over sordid plotting to bring nations down (which I think we are), then why don't we just focus on developing friendships we want to keep than signing treaties with lots of people?
- That said, it would be helpful to cast our net a bit wider among those who haven't expressed an active dislike of us/support for secessions.
- We should reconsider the Amity thing with Nelaga, I'll post more on that soon.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Re: Foreign Affairs

Post by Kaiser Ometeotl I »

My issue with Amity now is also Harvey's apparent willingness to use Blackmail, and threats to get that land. He's almost openly threatened to try and get the MCS to reduce us if we don't sign the treaty. I don't like people trying to bully me.

But on the whole, this is in line with my aims. I want to expand friendships. I've been trying to make an effort to go to other nation, even if it's just as a diplomatic function. I've only got a few hours a day with my busy work schedule, so I can only visit a few places.

But I went and talked with Alexandria, and even made an account in Batavia, though that took a few emails with the admin so I could get back the confirmation code that I couldn't read.

I am trying to improve relations with Nelaga, and Harvey personally, whether I can even succeed I don' know. Harvey is really hung up about Amity, and I keep feeling threatened by him, as if no matter what I say, it's going to piss him off, unless I basically bow on bended knee before him. It's very frustrating.

If I can find time tomorrow, cause I work late today, I'll try to stop into Gralus.

As for treaties, I think we should look for treaties with some of the following points:
*Official recognition of each other as friends.
*Mutual recognition of sovereignty and territory.
*Mutual support when attempting to join YAMO's, and other organizations.
*Mutual support on MCS claims.
*Exchange of ambassadors maybe. Not full on embassies, but at least some sort of formal exchange of greetings regularly.
*Exchange of information concerning plots and schemes we might hear about.

I'm sure other things might make sense. These are what just come to mind right now. And it's obvious where some of the ideas might be coming from. It would have been nice with this whole secessionist thing to have had some friends. I know I'm traditionally rather, isolationist, but I really do wish to change that.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

When I was in my pre-Shireroth guerrilla phase, it was easy enough to post the few posts that needed attention.

1- (To new nation.) Hi. Thanks for the visit.

2- (In international body) Hi. We exist, no matter what They say.

3- (Internally) We are soooo great, they are stupid and eevil!

4- (To/from enemy.) You suck, but shouldn't we make peace?

No, because you suck!

You suck!

(Repeat)

5- (to enemy on alternate IP)
Greetings, Tovarisch! I am hearing from those great folks that you are really being suck!

That was probably an average week, which left considerable time to wander and find nations, maybe visit about something that did not suck.

As part of a functioning community it is hard to get around to a lot of places.

I suggest doing away with the office of MiniEx, except perhaps as a coordinator. Ask citizens to take initiative to go out and say Hi, maybe use the MiniEx forum as a place to report on contacts.

We need a list of some sort. Maybe a pinned topic in MiniEx for each nation visited, with updates. (I'll start that when I get a chance.)

We also need to do something with the SC. Mikey is trying to move it to the MCS.

Hell hath no fury like an emigrated ex-Kaiseress.
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Mike's full of a lot of anger.

The SC is honestly kinda dead. The SCUE is the only part that matters, and that runs itself. We tried to move it off to the MCS a while ago, but had no support. Andreas put forth that we move it there, now that it's free of the SC, and I think that's a good idea. It'll get it more air time.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Oh. and the making foreign affairs an aspect open to all cits is a good idea. Though we should ask all to behave and not get us in fights. But generally going around and making friends, inviting people to come by, would make sense. We can leave the formal stuff to the MiniEx.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Yeah, we have to rethink our foreign affairs. Too much energy is simply put in places where it doesn't belong (I think about Antica, for example, where I question the idea of a possibility of friendship as long as certain people are around). There are a lot of coll guys around who like us, or at least don't detest us. The Gralans are excellent people, just like the Stormarkians, Batavians and Alexandrians.
Besides, it's a much nicer community. Like I said before: I'm not going to miss the kind of posts that Mike wrote, and we should better avoid such nations.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I'm sorry to say that I'm starting to agree with you on Antica, Jonas... There are a lot of individual Anticans I like, or at least have no reason to dislike, which is why I had wanted to move toward closer ties with them; but friendship on a national level doesn't look like it'll work.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Shyriath wrote:I'm sorry to say that I'm starting to agree with you on Antica, Jonas... There are a lot of individual Anticans I like, or at least have no reason to dislike, which is why I had wanted to move toward closer ties with them; but friendship on a national level doesn't look like it'll work.
Indeed, the individual Anticans don't have to see this as a 'I hate you' message but they made it very clear (as a nation, at least) that they don't want friendship with Shireroth. We don't have to waste our breath while there are Gralans, Nelagans, Stormarkians, Alexandrians, Holzborgers, Batavians, etc. at our gates.
They are more then welcome to talk, as long as it's decent.

At least, this is my view of things. ;)
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Kaiser Ometeotl I

I would agree. I once thought frienship with Antica was possible. A few Kaiserships back I even suggested this, and tried to figure out where the issues were. I got little cooperation from them. To them hating Shireroth was just to much "fun". Now they seem to take it rather seriously. I see no reasons to deal with such a nation.

So, let us focus on nations who actually want to engage in friendly international affairs.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Good.

For me the temptation is to use my Cyberian skills, especially since You Know Who is in charge, but its less wearing on me to stay out.
Jacobus Loki
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Jacobus Loki wrote:Good.

For me the temptation is to use my Cyberian skills, especially since You Know Who is in charge, but its less wearing on me to stay out.
Don't give them the pleasure of having Shirerithian activity as long as they want to destroy us. ;) :p

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Yes, there is more fun to be had with friends. The best one can hope for over there is a bit of schadenfreude when someone screws up.

Except, I do have sysop on their wiki, and block and stomp spambots. I consider that a service to civilization.

I have to interact about that on occasion.
Jacobus Loki

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Draft treaty with Gralus based on preliminary discussions:

We, the undersigned, do agree to the following:

1. That full recognition shall be extended to the other party of the treaty as a sovereign micronation; including over their websites, forums and MCS land; and claims of annexation by any third party shall be refuted unless it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the other party agrees to the annexation.

2. That each party has the right to appoint an ambassador to the other party, and each party is allowed to demand immediate removal of the ambassador at any time since arrival and with only a week's notice.

3. That full diplomatic immunity is extended to the Triumvirate of Gralus - Emperor, Lord General and Chief Justice; and to the Lord General's appointed Ambassador and to their accompanying retinue; and likewise full diplomatic immunity is extended to the Kaiser of Shireroth; the Minister of the Exterior; and to his appointed Ambassador and their accompanying retinue. These diplomatic immunities shall extend to all future rulers of both nations and their respective delegates and ministers.

4. That both parties agree to not interfere in the domestic policies of the other party save for noting concerns raised via a note from the Ambassador.

5. That both parties acknowledge their mutual friendship, and that both parties agree to resolve any mutual disputes in a peaceful manner, with or without the arbitration of a neutral third party.

6. That each party shall support the other's MCS claims, and the entry of either into intermicronational organizations.

7. That neither party shall commit or condone an attack on the other, and will seek to share information in the case of imminent attack; and that they shall share intelligence regarding possible plots and plans by third parties against either party, or against the general micronational peace.

8. That neither party shall harbor, aid or otherwise support those that are willing to overthrow the legitimate government of either micronation.

9. That both parties shall remain open and accessible visitors from one another, barring national emergencies or other such security issues.

10. That both parties shall be given the right to extradition of those deemed criminal in either party. The detained individual shall be handed over to the authorities of the petitioning micronation and the other must comply with the petition within a period of no greater than one week.

11. That trade shall be opened between both parties for mutually beneficial exchange, and the economic growth of both.

12. That either party seeking to amend this treaty shall inform the other of this request, and that all amendments must be made with mutual consent;

13. That the cancellation of this treaty must be undertaken via a written notice publicly posted in both parties' embassies for a minimum period of five days before the annulment date;

14. That any deliberate violation of the aforementioned articles constitutes the cancellation of this treaty.
Jacobus Loki

Kaiser Ometeotl I

A quick once over, I see no issues. I'll await the views of other though. But I say it goes before the Landsraad.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Finally we get Gralus as official friends. Now we're unstoppable! :evil

Kaiser Ometeotl I

It does please me. I've been trying to amuse myself over there when I have the time.

Return to “Future of Shireroth Convention”