Democracy

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Should we Democratise?

No. Leave it as is.
44%
Let us open up the landsraad to more people.
22%
Let us open the Landsraad to all.
11%
Let us convert to a Direct democracy, but keep the Kaiser.
11%
Let us convert to Direct Democracy and remove the Kaiser.
No votes
Some other Democratic like option.
No votes
No opinion/Not a citizen.
11%

Total votes: 9

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Democracy

Post by Kaiser Ometeotl I »

Long pondered, now we ask. I know more options exist.

Andreas the Wise

Re: Democracy

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I voted for "Let us open the Landsraad up to more citizens." By that I mean "more citizens than just Dukes, as long as those citizens are actually interested." I see little point in having citizens there who aren't interested; and lets face it, at any given time, there are a number of people not interested, except in the really controversial matters.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

I voted for "Leave it like it is."

My view of Shireroth is that it has always been fairly democratic, and that the absolute rule of the Kaiser was always with a "wink and a nod".

One Duke (or fill in the title) one vote is simple, and easy to administer. I'd let the subdivisions be as democratic or autocratic as they would like.

Landsraads tend to get sleepy, its the nature of MN legislatures everywhere. The Kaiser must retain the power to decree, but how that is might be restrained, I'm open.
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

Everyone knows what I voted for. 'Nuff said.
What follows has lead me to this place where I belong, with all erased.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

You know, in all big-pictureness, I wonder. When Nelaga was setting up a year and a half ago, we threw out a lot of ideas because we didn't want to be a Shireroth-clone. We didn't want to just to the same thing as Shireroth or any ol' nation was doing. I'm not honestly sure what we did all that differently, but the point is this: you don't want to be a Nelaga-clone.

Fact is, we're better at democracy than you'll ever be without ripping out nearly everything that Shireroth is. Other nations, like Nelaga, were designed and founded to be democracies. Shireroth has been a non-democracy for close to a decade and is similarly designed to be a non-democracy.

I don't think that it's the way to go. I think maybe I was wrong about a lot of things. I think maybe people never really wanted democracy in Shireroth at all; it was just me that did, and I'm kind of over it. Don't throw away a decade of building things up in another somewhat misguided attempt to be the best flavor of the month.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

No need to democratise. Like I said before: I preferred a system in which Kildare voted as one.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Kaiser Ometeotl I

So, people rather the 1 vote 1 subdivision system? I would like to at least open speech to all cits.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Speech, sure, why not.

The peasants, er freeholders, lined up to read their petitions before the Lords of the Land......

Do away with the Front Gate?
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

If we wanted to avoid everyone having a vote, but still wanted a somewhat-more-democratic option, we could give each subdivision a number of votes equal to the number of inhabitants: proportional representation, in other words. Not quite as simple as one duke=one vote, but possibly not as cumbersome as letting everyone vote.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Shyriath, you mean that every subdivision gets X number of votes to divide like they want it? I would like to propose, in such a case, that a subdivision is limited in the amount of people they can bring into the Landsraad (a maximum of 2 per Duchy for example who can actually vote and perhaps some merit votes to those who have done excellent work to Shireroth in general).
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Jonas wrote:Shyriath, you mean that every subdivision gets X number of votes to divide like they want it? I would like to propose, in such a case, that a subdivision is limited in the amount of people they can bring into the Landsraad (a maximum of 2 per Duchy for example who can actually vote and perhaps some merit votes to those who have done excellent work to Shireroth in general).
Shyriath wrote:If we wanted to avoid everyone having a vote, but still wanted a somewhat-more-democratic option, we could give each subdivision a number of votes equal to the number of inhabitants: proportional representation, in other words. Not quite as simple as one duke=one vote, but possibly not as cumbersome as letting everyone vote.
No, Jonas, I think he's saying that we have just Dukes voting; but each Duke gets as many votes as they have citizens in their Duchy. So Kildare would get ~5 at the moment, whereas Greg would get 1 etc.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser Ometeotl I

A proportional vote based on population for the subdivision representatives to cast, might work.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Worth considering

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Andreas the Wise wrote: No, Jonas, I think he's saying that we have just Dukes voting; but each Duke gets as many votes as they have citizens in their Duchy. So Kildare would get ~5 at the moment, whereas Greg would get 1 etc.
I'm not really in favour of it, that would give people the opportunity to invite inactive friends to join and to get more votes then they earn. And then I'm not even talking about the danger of getting one Duchy that overshadows the others.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Maybe cap the number of votes a subdivision can get from citizens? Maybe at 5? Or make it No subdivision can have more then 5 votes over any other given active subdivision?

So if Yardistan has 1, Kildare has 6. That's fine. but Kildare would not be able to get 7 until Yardistan got 2.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Aren't we making things pretty complicated this way? During the House system most of us didn't even know hom much votes we had, so I'm not sure this is a good idea.
Why should we become a democracy based on numbers? And why should it really matter: if a (con)federation is our goal, then most important matters are already in the hands of the local authorities. :document

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Then just give each subdivision a voting representative?

Return to “Future of Shireroth Convention”