Interlude for being creative

Where a micronational variant of the classic boardgame Diplomacy was played.
Played in 2005.
Scott of Hyperborea

Re: Interlude for being creative

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Ah...you've predicted Phase II!I wasn't going to mention this until later, but this game of Diplomacy is a test-run for what will hopefully be the salvation of SNARL.People seemed to like the story side of SNARL but found that the military side was too vague and too likely to get in the way. Diplomacy is a military side completely lacking any story. We put them together, we get synergy.Countries play a game of Diplomacy on a board set up to mirror whatever the recwar going on is. Although all moves are submitted by a country's top general, same as now, other people in the country are assigned creative command of a particular unit. They post stories about that unit's accomplishments and tribulations, taking into account what actually happens in the game. They can also discuss what their unit's next move should be with their general. Depending on logistical concerns, I may actually have the person controlling a unit submit the unit's moves directly, with the general playing only an advisory and coordinating role.Every winter, the GM selects an excellent story and gives a gold star to the side that wrote it. Gold stars can be redeemed for certain in-game advantages; I'm still working on exactly what, but at least one of them will be the ability to build an "air force" unit that can go on both sea and land but otherwise acts like a normal unit.I'm going to start up Phase II as soon as this game ends (tentatively set for around the holiday season, but earlier if people grow bored with it). Until then, feel free to post creative stuff if you'd like, but don't expect it to affect the game in any way.

stevenAntica

Interlude for being creative

Post by stevenAntica »

We should have a bit of an interlude for creative posting about the current situation. Maybe between Winter and SPring of this new year.

graius

Post by graius »

This is similar to a plan I was having in the Abode of War. We should discuss this on AIM.

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

I like that idea a lot, Scott. Certainly better than the mish-mash we had before. People could choose to interpret the outcomes of their actions however they chose, and we would have what is effectively a two-tier system...I like it a lot.Would gold stars as well as support then be determining factors in who won a battle? Cos otherwise I can see SNARL being shriven of any role-play element whatsoever, which would be a shame, in my opinion.

Careless Nonsequitur

Post by Careless Nonsequitur »

I feel awesome for teaching Scott and the others about this game.

Return to “Micronational Diplomacy (2250 - 2254)”