The name of the Small Commonwealth

Kaiser Malarbor I

The name of the Small Commonwealth

Post by Kaiser Malarbor I »

The Grand Commonwealth is now long dead and largely forgotten, and the name of the Small Commonwealth is no longer the statement it once was. At the same time there has been criticism from many parties about the name.

Well, personally, I wouldn't change it just yet. But maybe I just haven't seen the Right One... the name that will dazzle us all with its cleverness and appropriateness to describe the organisation. Let's hear some ideas for new names for the Small Commonwealth, I'm sure you guys can come up with some. :)

Andreas the Wise

Re: The name of the Small Commonwealth

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I still like the name Small Commonwealth - partly because it it now relatively widely known; but also because I still feel it captures the overall feel of the organisation - that we get together, but we're not meant to be big and messing with your nation's life (unless you choose to sign a treaty and let us, of course). I'm willing to consider other names if they're very good, though.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Gert Geens

Post by Gert Geens »

second that.
Gert Geens
Diplomat of the Republic of Flanders
Diplomaat van de Republiek Vlaanderen
http://vlaanderen.micronatie.nl/forum/index.php

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I agree with Andreas. I'm open for proposals but personally don't feel it wise to change just because certain nations misunderstand the meaning of it.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Dr Bjorn Olsen

Post by Dr Bjorn Olsen »

Jonas wrote:don't feel it wise to change just because certain nations misunderstand the meaning of it.
Perhaps a better understanding of branding may be of advantage to you Jonas.
I still like the name Small Commonwealth - partly because it it now relatively widely known; but also because I still feel it captures the overall feel of the organisation
I'm not convinced it captures the purpose of the organisation. If I am correct in my thinking the SC is an organisation aiming to standardise many aspects of our hobby in terms of overlapping history, treaties and economies.

Most Commonwealth Nations have one thing in common i.e. their head of state for example. I'm not sure any of us have anything in common with each other, other than the majority are on the MCS map in Micras.

perhaps a name that signifies that link may be of more benefit like the Micrasian Council or the like. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the only thing that you all have in common is that your in the small commonwealth, then its misleading. I see that the organisation wants to bring in common features like history, treaties and economy, but not all get involved in whats on offer.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

It's not a commonwealth, and it's not that small.

phineas elastopon

Post by phineas elastopon »

The Shirewealth Commonbad doesn't sound as good, Harv. :thumbsup

I rather like the SC name. The allusion to the GC is a healthy reminder of what this should not be.
Phineas Elastopon (formerly known as Benkern, Bacchus etc.)
Republic of Antica
Inquisitor

Gerk

Post by Gerk »

I'm not all that up to par on my micronational history, having only visited other micronations on rare occasion, but I do happen to like the name of the Small Commonwealth, even though I have no idea what the GC was...

I would also like to say that this emoticon is wonderful: :archy
His Justness, King Gerk ronAnaglea
Chief Justice of the Gralan Empire
King of Toketi
"When you eliminate the impossible, then whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
~Sherlock Holmes

Allot

Post by Allot »

I thoroughly agree with Andreas about the small part, but Bjorn also has a point about the "commonwealth" part. It's not a Commonwealth, although it is "small". But... small council? small league? doesn't sound quite as good. in summary, keep the name unless we find a stellar one.
Isabelle Allot Kalirion
Retired

Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

I second that the emoticon you mentioned is great.

On a more serious note I see no reason to change the name. No, the SC is not small and no, it is not a commonwealth, but there is no real name for what the SC really is. We've chosen this name somewhere in the beginning of this project and I personally think we should hold on to it. There is no serious reason to change it and it would only lead to more confusion.

If someone comes along with a really nice name I will however consider a change.
Maximilian van Bunthe-Uné
High Representative of the Kingdom of Batavia to the Small Commonwealth

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Well, most other names that people could come up with would likely either sound drab and YAMOish... or quote some feature of the MCS map... both would give the wrong impression.

And I like the reminder about how we shouldn't become like the Grand Commonwealth.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

For those who don't know, the Grand Commonwealth was a big international organisation back around ... 2004? The impression I got was that it ended up with a huge and meaningless bureaucracy, and also seemed to be largely a way to get nations controlled by Babkha. We were trying to say "we're not going to get a huge and meaningless bureaucracy, and we're not trying to get you controlled by Shireroth" by the name SC. Only nations that remember the GC would care about the danger of being controlled by Shireroth, so ...
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Grand Commonwealth: Circa 2005 - 2007/08. A Vembrian Plot to Create a Hegemonic Bureaucracy disguised as a Babkhan Plot to Create a Hegemonic Bureaucracy. End - ignominious.

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

If I remember rightly, there was talk recently about Small Treaty Organization being a good alternative to Small Commonwealth.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Chrimigules wrote:If I remember rightly, there was talk recently about Small Treaty Organization being a good alternative to Small Commonwealth.
Really? I'm not very enthusiast about that name. Much too NATO-ish...
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

And it is kinda effectively the same name...

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Yes, but the inaccurate 'Commonwealth' is removed.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

Well, I'm not the biggest fan of STO either. Small Commonwealth isn't that big a deal, it's just that I had heard STO brought up before the summit and hadn't seen it mentioned here.

Return to “Summit At The Tree”