Computer Science 103: Basic WebDesign and FTP. (Secton 1)

A place for impromptu lectures or debates. Stir up controversy, just like the forum's namesake, Kaiser Leto III the Bold!
Erik Mortis

Computer Science 103: Basic WebDesign and FTP. (Secton 1)

Post by Erik Mortis »

This is the intruction to Computer Science 103: Basic WebDesign and FTP. If you are enrolling in this class make it known now. Aswell as emailing me at erik@shireroth.org as I need your email to collect homeworks/tests and give you your scores.Purpose:The purpose of this class is to teach students basic webdesign and use of FTP. This is not meant to be a has-all complete class on webdesign. This class is created to help those struggling with a lack of knowledge in HTML to be able to creat and put in place there own webpages.Tools:For this class you will need 2 tools. A HTML Editor and a FTP client. Both shall be provided to you shortly. We shall cover the basic use of both these tools and implement them in this class. Although one could simply use ANY basic text editor for making a HTML page (gedit, Notpad, BBEdit) we shall be useing a specialized program which shall assist in the creation in pages and includes many useful features. HTML-Kit From Chami: HTML-Kit DownloadANDWS_FTP95 LE. DownLoad Here.Both Require Windows. If you do not have Windows or wish not to run windows. I may be able to find an alternative if you are on Linux. Mac is dumb out of luck as I neither know nor like that system. Please install both these programs to your computer and make sure you can find them.When installing the FTP client make sure to note you are a student and are using the program for academic use. (as that is accually true and will let you use the program free)Text:For this class we shall have a text for reference purposes. I shall provide this text later in the course when it become needed. Compliance:All HTML tough in this class with be HTML 4.0 compliant and will not contain ANY browser specific features. It is this instructors oppinion that browser specific features have NO place on the internet. Final Note:I will maintain STRICT disciplin in this class. No Off-topic discussion will be allowed. No outburts or lude behavior shall be tolerated, and I shall be enforcing University policy strictly. Homework:In this class I will asign homework on occasion, if not on all occasions. Homework is due by the next class. Homework IS required to pass this class. I may also asign tests. I will annoince the dates of the next class. I may be late in getting classes up. So if you are late in getting to homework, you luck out. I will NEVER plut up a new class before schedualed dates, if I do the due date for Homework will NOT change. If you choose to enroll in this class welcome. You may enroll as a student or simply an observer. Students though shall receive credit. (I shall soon be speaking with he MORE about degree programs, so credit is good.)Today Homework: Todays homework is uncollected and thus has no due date. Your homework is to install the two tools provided and if you have time read any documentation that comes with them. I am available by email and in this thread for questions. I welcome questions! Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of Alexandretta

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

Re: Computer Science 103: Basic WebDesign and FTP. (Secton 1

Post by Shasta Rana Wanderlust »

/me signs up for the class, and is doing the homework on his gimpy connection. Remember, my child, without innocence, the cross is only iron, hope is only an illusion, and you're nothing but a name.

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

may as well, need to brush up "Disclaimer: Whatever is in the above post is probably a result of my blind following of Kieran Bennett, because I have even less of a brain than Kieran. Don't even get me started on my lack of independent thought."

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Remember to Email me too. I NEED people's emails. I'll wait a few more days for people to sign up. Remember to check back on assigned class days. I believe I'll have the first accual class on... hmmm... friday. March 5th. Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of Alexandretta

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

to make sure people email me.. That IS your HW. 10 pts just for just emailing me at erik@shireroth.org with "CompSci 103: HW1" in the subject line.And I need to know if you want to take this class as graded or non graded. If non graded..than no prob. I ask you still do the hw to make it easier on you. If graded.. you get the satisfaction of knowing you accually passed a class....Also, I MAY accept late entries to the class for credit. Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of AlexandrettaEdited by: Erik Mortis Brookshire at: 3/2/04 1:55 pm

Jadie of Goldshire

Post by Jadie of Goldshire »

which e-mail am I e-mailing it to? Jadie of GoldshireCarry on with your lives people...nothing to see here.

Alexandra Decens

Post by Alexandra Decens »

email it to his erik@shireroth.org one....i may as well sign up... I have no custom signature...oh wait...

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I've got everyone's one's hw but one. But they said something about sending it as I'm typing this.. so congrats.. as it stands you all have perfect A's! Aren't you proud.Oh.. and grades will be kept STRICTLY confidential. Only I and the student shall know. And I ain't tellin no one but them. so unless you share, no one will know what you get in the class. Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of Alexandretta

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

This class will consist of 6 homework assignments and 1 final project. You will probably be allowed to use your homework on your final project. I will be having the next class session tomarrow most likely. It is NOT to late to sign up. Jadie even signed up twice... *gives JD a funny look* So feel free to email me. Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of Alexandretta

Jadie of Goldshire

Post by Jadie of Goldshire »

Oh! My e-mail server was acting up....It was really strange..that is why you got it twice *feels ashamed* Jadie of GoldshireCarry on with your lives people...nothing to see here.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I found it amusing.. don't worry.. Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of Alexandretta

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Monday for sure I'll post the next class.. Got a paper to write... and some distracted me last night.. Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of Alexandretta

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Even though I cancelled this class I thought I'de give a resource for people....werbach.com/barebones/barebones.htmlvery useful.. Erik Mortis BrookshireCount of Monty CriscoCommoner of AlexandrettaHeir to the Line of Metzler/Mortis/RaynorBig Cheese of Rrakanychan Inc.Shirerithian ElderGeneral in the YAC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Some accual lessons on HTML from my compsci class at schoolhttp://www.cs.sonoma.edu/cs101/l.../lab8.htmlh ... /lab9.html Erik Mortis BrookshireCount of Monty CriscoCommoner of AlexandrettaHeir to the Line of Metzler/Mortis/RaynorBig Cheese of Rrakanychan Inc.Shirerithian ElderGeneral in the YAC

Return to “Leto III Hall”