Embarkation

The Shireroth/Natopia/Antica Recwar League
OctaviusMe

Embarkation

Post by OctaviusMe »

Christopher placed the comb on the sink and looked at himself through the mirror. He walked to his desk chair and picked his field tunic. Left sleeve, then right. The Commander's adjutant knocked on the door, then opened it."Sir, I Legion is ready. All tanks and howitzers secure. All crews and troopers on board..." The Commander finished buttoning up his tunic as his adjutant listed everything out. Everything is ready, he thought to himself. It's time to move out. "... II Legion will be all ready in another hour or so.""Understood. Order all ready transport ships to depart. I will be down momentarily." His adjutant saluted, then headed on his way. Christopher stood there, looking around. The 2 volunteer legions formed up for this conflict have been residing here, at the fort in New Brannum for almost a week, loading up and resting after the journey from Nafticon. Now they were beginning the last leg, around another fourth of the planet. The Commander looked back to his desk. His belt, knife and pistol, and his helmet. He put on the belt, and adjusted the holster and sheath. His pistol resting on his left side and his knife on his right side. Finally, he put his helmet on his head, and adjusted the chinstrap. He looked back at the mirror."Only a few years ago, I'd never have figured myself here, in this situation, like this." He said to himself. Only a few years ago, and all he would've seen on him was an elaborate, formal uniform. The uniform of a commander-in-chief of a self-legimitated military dictatorship. The uniform of a Commandant.The Commander stepped out of the command complex and into the central courtyard of the expansive military base. The Sun beat down overhead. The inner base's wall gave way to the outer courtyard. The grey fortifications of the inner and outer walls stood out among the dry, tanned rocks that made up the deserty hillside. The line of the outer wall stopped at the shore. Lining the shore were dozens of transport ships. Most were full and starting up their engines. A few had already begun to pull away from the shore. The transport ships farthest south were still loading up. The southern half of the shore was transport ships for II Legion, which still had some things to secure before heading out.Christopher could remember back to when the Dinarchy had claimed this land as a foothold for the steamrolling of Red Antilles. Now Red Antilles was gone. Now he was not here in the name of the Dinarchy. Now he was here for the interests of the Republic. He looked back at the fort. It seemed almost ancient. After the implosion of the Dinarchy, it had been all but abandoned, left to a garrison of just a few soldiers who later defected to the Republic. the fort was left mostly to nature until now, and the republican forces moving through hadn't the time to clean it up.Some metals had corroded, with rust marking the grey, reinforced concrete walls. The trench network around the fort was left to nature to reabsorb and fill with mud and all types of dry-weather flora. The Path of Death, so well prepared to deter anything touching it and living, was left to rust and almost be raided by anyone stupid enough to attempt stealing a land mine. Christopher's eyes caught ahold of a Dinarchial flag, still waving from one of the fortress wall's towers, ripped through, seared, hanging onto its flagpole. The eagle's shield at the center mostly gone and replaced by a space. And then, it began to lower. Some soldiers were at the base, lowering the flag down."Sir, right this way." His adjutant stood and directed him to one of the waiting transport ships. A rope ladder leading up to the top waited for the two. He and his adjutant made their way to the main deck. Once there, someone signaled the ship's bridge, and the engines, which before were just humming, began to really start churning. The whole ship jolted backward, and then slowly inched its way into the harbor, stern first. Most of I Legion's ships were out to sea by now, and were turning due east. Once his transport ship made it far enough out, it began to do the same. Christopher watched as the fort fell farther and farther away. His adjutant came back from the bridge with a piece of printed out paper in hand."II Legion reports that it is departing now. Half of their transport ships are already maneuvering in the harbor." Of course now it was too far away to see. All that could be seen was the hills and sloping mountains of the rest of the North and South Islands, falling behind the caravan. "Commander Foghorn in Yardistan also reports that his soldiers are making their way from Novi Nigrad to Musica as we speak.""Tell him we'll rendezvous with him at Musica after a short stop over at Amity for refueling and resupplying."Summary: I Legion leaves New Brannum and begins heading for the island of Amity.

stevenAntica

Re: Embarkation

Post by stevenAntica »

Steven stood at the edge of the dock and stared out into the sea. If the sea was staring back at him it would have probably understood that this was a man worn out by war, revolution, and a conflict which had defined him. He crossed his arms as the sun began to set. Steven wore the revolution like one would wear a medal or a badge, his hare was tasseled, his military jacket, the same that he had worn under the Dinarchy except in the place of the Dinarchial flag was that of the Republic, was torn, and his face was adorned with an eye patch, having lost an eye in battle. To think that this was the same man who not long ago, was a bureaucrat, head of a large office in the Dinarchy and whose only military experience had consisted of ceremonially marching troops through Aquilaria.The waves hit New Brannum gracefully as the sun began to set in the most scenic way one could want. Steven peered down the beach at the lines of transport ships ready to depart. He stared back up at the green hill, most of the military equipment was packed away into the ship and soldiers now only lugged some remaining bags of food. As Steven moved up the hill a younger officer cut him off and said, “Sir, the troops will be assembling on the beach as you requested soon and then they’ll be loading up. We’ll be on our way, I expect by 21:00.” “Very nice, very nice,” Steven answered. “I assume that Chris just left?”“Yes, a very short time ago we were told he left.”“Good, we won’t be far behind him.” Steven moved to the top of the hill and sat down in an arm chair to wait for the soldiers to assemble on the beach. He watched as the sun slowly set and the torches were set along the beach. In about two hours the soldiers were assembled at the beach. As the forces began to assemble, Steven stood up before them and began to speak. “As I stand here today, before this grand army of the Republic, I am not scared. We may not be the strongest army in terms of manpower or strength of our weaponry but we are fighting for a reason. We fight for our glorious dream of a republic. Some of you, I have known for a long time. You followed me through Antica, as we were being chased by the forces of tyranny, and fought with me till we reached Nafticon. Some of you are new. But I see in you loyal faces, ready to fight for you nation and against tyranny. Let us embark on our grand journey. I do not know what we will face in this venture, but I do know one thing, there is no force on earth that can stop this revolution. Forward Republic!”It was an hour or so before the soldiers had loaded. Steven stood, facing the sea at night on his boat as it set sail.Summary: The Second Legion leaves New Brannum for Amity following the Speaker. Steven has an eye patch. Edited by: stevenAntica at: 10/5/05 19:03

OctaviusMe

Nostalgia

Post by OctaviusMe »

4000 km west of Amity:The transport ship rolled slightly to port. Christopher lay in his rack, located within the midship house. The ship began to roll back to starboard. Christopher opened his eyes and looked up. Someone else sleeping perfectly well above him. I guess I've been away from the sea too long, he said to himself. He slipped off his rack and proceeded toward the bridge, his helmet dangling by its chinstrap, held by his right hand. Right before the transport ship's bridge was a room labeled Situation Room. As opposed to just about everything else on these ships, it looked like new paint. Christopher knocked on the door. The door opened, and the Commander stepped through.Inside, his adjutant was working with some assistants to compile information. He looked up at the Commander, stood, and saluted. The Commander nodded and asked him, "any information on who exactly we'll be fighting?" His adjutant nodded, then looked quickly through the notepad in front of him. Nodding to himself, he slipped the notepad across the table to the Commander's side, who picked it up and scanned the lines."For gods' sakes..." he muttered to himself. He looked back at his adjutant, pointing at the text on the notepad, "I asked for information on what we'll be fighting, not about a bunch of pixies who think they can control things with a wave of their hand. What is all this?" He began reading through the list again, reading some of the things out..."500 Water Mages..."500 Earth Mages..."50-- where the hell did you get all this?" He looked up and gave his adjutant a dirty look."Our allies... in Yardistan." Christopher flipped through the pages on the notepad for stats on the Yardistani forces. "Yardistani forces... Yardistani forces... Knights of the Burning Claw! Allies... but from Benecia... Yardi-- are they even fighting in this war?""Commander Foghorn's Naval Infantrymen were in exile in Yardistan and radioed that information to us a few hours ago. We asked the radio operator if they were shitting us, but apparently not. They're saying that information is legitimate." Christopher flipped back to the front page and looked through it all again. "The only legitimate forces on the enemy's side seems to be led by the Order of the... Dead Stagg with what looks like outdated cavalry... and the Elwynnbrigaden, which has a group of soldiers listed as armed with chainsaws..." Christopher sighed and shook his head as he read on. He soon got tired of it and handed the clipboard back to his adjutant."I hope these forces turn out to be legitimate, or else I'm going to wonder why we came. Keep up the work." He saluted the soldiers in the room and walked out. For some reason he felt tired, but he already tried to go to sleep. Maybe he needed coffee or something.------------------------------Lieutenant Lee walked over to the rack assigned to the Commander. In his hand, he carried his notepad. The rack was unoccupied. The Lieutenant looked around. The Commander wasn't in any of the other racks either. Sure, they were occupied, but it wasn't who he was looking for. Lt Lee moved forward and reached the bridge. He looked around for a second, then found the Communications Board. He lay his notepad down and grabbed the handset, pressing the button for the PA."Pass the word for the Commander. Commander, please come to the Situation Room asap." He slammed the handset back into its cradle, and the speakers all over the transport ship clicked off.A Trooper Sergeant heard the call and started looking around. He saw the Commander wander through No. 2 Hold a few hours ago, checking how all of the troopers were. He stood up and instinctively slipped his rifle's strap over his shoulder. The aft section of No. 2 Hold was dedicated to trooper bunks, while the forward section was being used to store consumables like food, munitions, and some machinery. The Trooper Sergeant made his way through the bunks looking around. Maybe the Commander went to one of the other holds to check on them, too, he said to himself.On the other side of the bunk area, he saw someone slowly sit up. He walked over, then saluted. "Commander, message from the bridge. You're requested to go to the Situation Room." The Commander yawned and put his glasses back on. "What's it about, Sergeant?" The Trooper Sergeant shook his head and said, "I do not know, sir. There's a phone over that way." He pointed back toward the aft of the hold. The Commander stood and nodded, "Thank you, Sergeant," he said and began walking in that direction."Sir?" The Commander stopped and turned around."Yes, Sergeant?""Why were you sleeping down here?" The Commander looked at him, then the bunk, then back at him. He shrugged."More comfortable, I guess. The ones they have up in the Midship House are milled steel. It'd be like if I slept right on the deck. These makeshift bunks, on the other hand, are made of canvas." The Trooper Sergeant nodded, not quite sure if his question was answered or not.Christopher smiled, and then headed aft. When he reached the phone, he picked up the handset and pressed the button for the Bridge. A crewman picked it up. "Bridge." "Yes, get me Lieutenant Lee in the Situation Room on the phone. This is The Commander.""Aye, sir." The crewman walked off, leaving Christopher to wait. After about a minute, the voice of Lt Lee came on. "Sir, I've three matters to discuss with you.""Go ahead.""First, we're nearing the island of Amity. Two-thirds of our transports are heading to Erudition, while the other third is heading to... Rbolpelo. II Legion's transports are preparing similar headings to Rbolpelo and... Negrixnaht.""Ok. Next?""Second, we've received news on another allied unit coming in from Kildare. His heading is listed as Northern Elwynn..."Christopher readjusted the handset. "What's the composition?""Uhh... 800 Sword Mages, 400 Elemental Mages, 125 Evokers, 125 Clerics... and 50 Paladins..." What the hell is this, Christopher thought to himself. He thought for a moment then spoke into the mic, "do any of them have guns?""Uhh... no sir... but the... Evokers 'tend to use purely destructive magic' and do a lot of 'blasting troops from afar' type stuff." Christopher thought of something to respond with. Nothing came for another few seconds."Third?" was all he could force out. What's next, he thought to himself, long-bearded wizards that can forcibly remove the water from a person's body?"No, actually..." wait what? "...Commander Foghorn reports landfall at Musica and will have the area secure by the time we get there.""Understood. Thank you, Lieutenant." Christopher returned the phone to its wall mounted cradle and leaned against the bulkhead.------------------------------Christopher looked up at the brass statue. The brass statue continued to look straight out toward the shore, his thick moustache obscuring part of his facial expression. Where the hell did they get the idea I was dressed like that, he thought to himself. The statue's base had a plaque reading "Commandant Me Savior of Amity and Mirioth". Erudition's main square was pretty empty at this time. The Sun was long down and long to return. The only illumination was street lamps and a gibbous Moon. Lt Lee walked up behind Christopher and stopped to his left, looking up at the statue."Where the hell did they get the idea you were dressed like that?" Christopher smirked."I was about to say the same thing." The two of them studied the statue. Lt Lee pointed at the statue's eyepatch and asked, "is that...?""Yes... yes it is.""Did they get that from Commander Steven? He has an eyepatch, hasn't he?""He does indeed, but he got that when Delphi got angry at him right before the Exodus. He likes to say that he lost it in battle, but... that's Steven." The two of them nodded and looked back at the statue."They completely got that statue wrong. I think I only wore a formal dress uniform in Aquilaria. Hell, I was in a Naval Infantry BDUs when I met with that Major right over by the seaside." Christopher ponited his thumb behind them, back toward the harbor area. They continued to silently study the statue.Lt Lee laughed to himself then said, "I don't think there were even that many medals in the whole of the Dinarchy's Armed Forces to account for that.""Oh, you'd be surprised how many medals the General had created just for himself. Actually, that looks a little more like how Delphi would've dressed than I at my finest. So glittery was his uniform that the enemy was using him to aim their guns in Brookshire at the time, but he was pacing back in forth so much that they seldom got close enough to throw at least a piece of dirt at him. If they had made a statue of him, it'd end up being a couple feet shorter than this.""They could've just made his statue of a bigger proportion.""Actually, I heard they're making a giant statue of him to loom over Aquilaria. Someone got the idea from the Colossus of Rhodes to have a statue of a victorious Delphi standing at the bend of the river in South-Central, near the Imperial Palace... don't particularly know how they're going to depict a victorious Delphi, since he hasn't commanded any forces that actually won a war, but he's probably got historians working hard at it to make it look like he mattered."Finally, a soldier quickly walked up to the two. He saluted, then gave his report. "Sirs, all I Legion transport ships here report refueled and resupplied. Wireless reports from Rbolpelo and Negrixnaht report readiness by the time our convoy reaches them.""Good. Let's get going then." Lt Lee and the soldier walked back toward the harbor area, with the Commander lagging behind. He turned around to look at the statue of himself. "Figures that they'd practically deify me for that," he said to himself.The convoy of transport ships made their way out of Erudition's harbor just as the Sun began to rise again. They then turned northwest toward Rbolpelo and then northeast to Negrixnaht to rendezvous with the rest of the group, and together the flotilla head north, toward Musica.Summary: I Legion and II Legion stop off at Amity to refuel and resupply, then head north for Musica. Edited by: OctaviusMe at: 10/5/05 21:51

Sebastien Alexandre

Re: Nostalgia

Post by Sebastien Alexandre »

Ozarka nodded as he read Andelarion's letter. "Yes, the Anticans will pay for this act of interference yet!" Ozarka turned to his 50 dragon riders, motioning them to go. HIs eyes glowed an irridescent blue as they made way to their prey.Summary:50 Halluci Dragons enroute to Musica to encounter Anticans

stevenAntica

Re: Embarkation

Post by stevenAntica »

Steven paced back and forth across the bridge wings of the ship, observing the tranquility and calm of the sea, something rarely given to him at home. To his sides he watched his fleet, as it slowly progressed towards Amity, and above him was a luminous full moon, watching over his fleet. Steven peered back into the bridge. The helmsman appeared quite focused on whatever he might be thinking, as he surely did not appropriate so much brain power to the steering of the ship. Steven came back into the bridge, and addressed the helmsman. “I could tell from your accent before that you’re a native of New Brannum, aye?” “You are quite correct I was born and raised there. Actually, my parents are from Talamthom and emigrated to New Brannum, but I was born and raised there, correct. I assume that your recent stay was your first, yes?” The helmsman was taken aback when he was addressed by Steven. To hear and read much about an individual and then finally meet him in person can be a truly odd experience. It was even odder in that the things he had heard about Steven did not make him at all someone who you would want to introduce your children to. “Unfortunately, yes. I have not had the opportunity to visit there much, although now that I’ve been, I wish I had more time to spare there. It’s an absolutely beautiful Island. Foghorn has spent quite a lot of time there I believe.” “Yes, to many an inhabitant, he’s become all to frequent of a face. You’ve been to Aquilaria, right?” “Yes, but I do not believe that I shall be welcomed as a guest there for some time.” “What’s that like?” “Well, it’s large in word. The city was rebuilt upon Delphi’s ascension to the throne. The governmental district is very well built. If we get out of this little venture alive, maybe you’ll be the captain of the battleship that victoriously arrives at the capital? How does that sound?” “Sound’s nice. Lofty though.” “Yes.” Steven stepped outside again and memories, bad ones and good ones for it does not seem that the mind discriminates, began to flow back. “Debate in the senate was increasing in its viciousness daily and on that hot august day, if not held of by one the Official Record Keepers of the senate and an imperial guard, Steven might very well have lunged for Delphi’s neck. Later that evening, Steven went to an underground bar nicknamed, “The Banquet Hall”. As Steven passed through the streets he could almost smell the tension. The third revolution was beginning to boil over. Steven stepped down the stone steps leading into the bar and knelt down facing the doorway. A slot opened up and two eyes leered at Steven, and said, “Yeah, come on in.” Already waiting for him were Olorix, Foghorn, and Oric. The Banquet Hall was a musty place smelling of beers and cigarettes but more importantly, the only place where the revolutionaries could meet safely. They handed Steven a cigar. Chris trotted in soon enough. Foghorn began, “Things are getting a bit too hot for Delphi, and I think he’s going to strike soon. He’ll probably crush local protesters but I have a feeling that he’ll go for some of the main leaders and I know he’s planning on arresting you, Chris. You’ve noticed that guard is on high alert and assembling itself, I’m sure.” Chris said, “I’ve already made arrangements to leave for a bit so that I’m out of reach. I’ll be sure to bring some of my personal loyal guards with me. Probably I’ll pack up tomorrow. I’ll say that I had some sort of family issues to be taken care of.” Olorix turned to Steven, handing him a drink, “You know, Steven, he’s going to come for you soon too.” Steven answered, “I know. But I plan on fighting. I am no fool Olorix. Delphi is going to make a move to squash the revolutionary spirit once and for all, and I am prepared to face him. It is a duty expect of me by all the revolutionaries. I have been proclaimed by Delphi himself to be the instigator of all this. I am expected to fight. The time of revolution has come.” Olorix ordered a glass of scotch for Steven and himself and said, “Steven, I fear for you, as a friend. Do you understand you are going to stand up against the Delphi’s best. I beg of you to leave with Chris and save your own life.” Steven said, “Blood must be spilled. You know it was inevitable, we both did. We must do this. I am sorry.” “Steven, you are crossing the Rubicon. There is no turning back from here. If you do not leave, you cross the point of no return.” “Tomorrow night, Delphi will send troops out to crush this rebellion, to crush us. If we do not put up a fight, you and I will both see the same fates at the gallows. We must fight. I know where I am going, I know the risks, but I must.” The conversation that night shifted elsewhere, but everyone had the same thing on their minds. The future was not as bright as it had been before. It was a brave new world.” Steven drifted off to sleep that night on the bridge wing of the ship. As morning began to return, Steven awoke to a new sun and the island of Amity. He began to move down the stairs into the conference room of the ship. It was a small wooden room with a crouched table. Five of his more senior commanders were assembled there. One of them snuck into his hands, half jokingly, a biscuit. After a brief salute, Steven began. It was an annoying habit of his to always want to begin any time of conference, assembly meetings, military meetings, and in the past, senate meetings, by speaking first. “Okay, we’re arriving at Amity, now I don’t want to spend much time here. I’m going to go to run off to the other side of the island, greet Chrimigules, Octavius, or whatever name he prefers these days. Then head back here. I expect that we’ll be refueled by then. Officers can buy something they want but don’t let many off the ships. I’d rather not have the Shireroth’s first impression of the republic be the lame pick-up lines that these soldiers are sure to produce. Clear?” The entire table nodded in agreement. “Good, Steven replied. Now, is there anything you wish to tell me?” The meeting went on for some time as they informed Steven of the campaign in Musica. As they landed on Amity, Steven was the first off the ship. He rented a horse on the island and scampered across to where Chris would be boarding. The horse trotted up to his encampment. Chris greeted him with open arms, “My good friend, Steven, how goes it?” he said sarcastically. “Fine, fine, and you?” “Not bad. Have you heard that we will have a friend joining when we arrive at Musica? “No, I had not, Chris. But I’m sure you’re going to tell me.” “Foghorn and the naval infantry will surely be there.” “Great, always wonderful to see Foghorn.” After some banter, Chris bid Steven his farewell and boarded his ship. Steven moved back across the island to see the status of his ships. Steven was not the accomplished traveler and worldly individual that many in Antica were. The town on Amity seemed quaint enough, like something out of a storybook. By midday, Steven had returned and the ship was properly refueled. As Steven left amity a feeling of gloom crept over him for he was now crossing the boundary between peace and war. Summary: Legion II going to Musica.

OctaviusMe

Oh gods... what is that smell?

Post by OctaviusMe »

Christopher looked at his watch. 4:13am. He then looked up at the Sun. It wasn't directly above. Rather, it was halfway back down the west side. I should've kept adjusting my watch for the changing timezones, he thought to himself. The group of transport ships assigned to I Legion had been huddled in a shapeless formation ever since they left the island of Amity. Now, they were beginning to realign so that dropoff at Musica would be more efficient. Christopher, standing next to what traditionally was still called the mizzen mast, turned to look in the direction the transport ship was heading. The hillside of southern Shireroth was not only near, it was only a few hundred meters away. The only thing in between was another transport ship and some water. Christopher leaned back off the railing and began walking forward along the deck. Every meter or so he had to make sure he didn't accidently step on one of the lines securing one or another of 1st Battalion's tanks to the deck."Commander," Lt Lee came down the ladder from the Bridge as Christopher passed by. He landed on the deck and gave a quick salute, then said, "another few minutes and we'll be in Musica's harbor, sir. II Legion is another few hours behind us. I've drawn up some plans so that our transport ships will be mostly emptied and clearing the harbor once II Legion arrives.""Good. Any reports of enemy resistence from Commander Foghorn and the Naval Infantry?""None yet, sir. Last wireless report stated that they had completely secured both Musica and the hills around it, discretely patrolling it. That was--""--3 hours ago. Ok. Keep someone monitoring the wireless until we have the legionary HQ set up in Musica's main square." The two saluted each other and the Lieutenant headed on his way. Christopher watched as the transport ship cleared the harbor entrance.The tank's engines revved up and it began to inch forward. The crane that had helped lower it returned to the main deck level for the next one. The tank's gunner stood in front of his tank, giving his sergeant inside hand signals for maneuvering the relatively tight street. Once the tank reached the main road and turned onto it, the gunner climbed the tank and sat on top of it as the tank began accelerating as best it could down the boulevard. As it passed, Christopher tracked it with his eyes. On its armored side, the Dinarchial Eagle could be seen. It was pretty faded, and had some scratch marks on it, like someone had tried to carve off the paint with something blunt."Commander Foghorn, sir." Lt Lee got Christopher's attention and he looked to where his voice came from. There he was, Foghorn. The two saluted each other at first, and then Christopher extended his hand. Foghorn lowered his right hand from his brow and shook it."How long has it been?" Christopher looked him over, head to toe. He was still wearing his old uniform, the Dinarchial Naval Infantry's service dress, with a few of his own extra modifications that made it his own. It was fadded from overexposure to the Sun, and had some almost invisible patches in some places."Much much too long. Strange of all places we'd meet here, eh?" Christopher looked around and thought to himself. He hadn't been here himself, but he heard what had happened to it. Pulverization during the last civil war."Let us hope it does not meet the same fate while we're standing in it." The two Commanders stepped to the side of the road to allow another tank to pass by. This one, however, had the Republican symbol in bright red and white painted over the Dinarchial Eagle. The Tank Sergeant raised his gloved hand to his brow and saluted the two Commanders as he passed. The two Commanders reciprocated, and then Christopher shouted out, "How many tanks are left on our transport, Sergeant?""Another 6, Commander! They're stopping for now to adjust the ship's position and unload more howitzers!" The tank sped onward, if you could call 6 mph speeding. They were unloading everything in pairs. Two tanks, then two howitzers. Two more tanks, and now another two howitzers. Within minutes, the ship came to a stop, now with front end of the transport ship alongside the reinforced concrete harbor extension put up by the Naval Infantrymen just for the purpose of loading and unloading heavy machinery. Had they used the piers in the other area of the harbor, the tank being hoisted would've gone straight through. There were another 4 such extensions nearby for the other 4 transport ships. Each of them were following the same unloading pattern. During the whole time the ship was in a stationary position, troopers were climbing down the rope ladders and recollecting themselves back into their fireteams nearby. Almost half a company of troopers had made it off at this point."So anyway... Commander Foghorn, what is the current situation? Have your patrols sighted any enemy forces making their way here?""Not yet. For all we know, they don't even know we're here." The second howitzer landed with a bit of a thud on the ground. The artillerymen operating it began rolling it out to the nearby memorial park, which was a preselected location for the Battalion's battery to form up. The two Commanders looked over at it. The crane crew should've been more careful, Christopher thought, ...don't want any of them damaged.And then, Christopher, Foghorn, and every man alive within a mile's radius got chills running up their back. The screech resonated through the air, then went silent. Again, a screech rang out, and it was not altogether natural sounding. It was coming from the north. After a few seconds of silence, every Antican there ran toward the source to see what it was. The two Commanders quickly came to the open clearing that was the memorial park. Three of the howitzers were arranged in a spaced out line, with the fourth being rolled into place. Someone with binoculars nearby looked into the sky. Christopher squinted. He wasn't sure what it was, but it was... flying toward them. He held his hand out to Lt Lee, who quickly handed him his own binoculars."What the...?" Christopher paused, and then as the creatures neared, he saw something new. Fireballs. A couple fireballs landed in the northern areas of the city, locations where the Naval Infantry undoubtedly had some guard posts. Christopher ran to the battery and began shouting orders. They were hesitant at first."You heard me! Case shot now! Now!" They hurried as fast as they could to ready the howitzers to fire. Next he turned to Lt Lee. "I don't know what those things are, but--""Dragons, sir.""Dragons? You mean..." The Lieutenant nodded and produced his notepad. He flipped through a few pages and then stopped."Halluci Dragons, sir... 'blue scales, nasty large sharp teeth... fire breathing...""Lieutenant... I'm getting a feeling that those reports were genuine." The two of them looked up into the sky as the swarm of blue dragons neared their position. "Get on wireless and alert all Battalions. Tell them to get what howitzers they have on land ready and to fire case shot into the air. That should take them down." Lt Lee began walking back, and Christopher stopped him with his hand suddenly. "... and alert II Legion of this. Tell them to make a landing south of Musica and unload there as fast as they can. Howitzers first." Lt Lee nodded and ran back toward the Wireless Station farther back.Christopher then turned to Foghorn, but realized he was already gone. "He's buggered off!" he said to himself."Everyone not an Artilleryman find shelter, Now!" Another couple of howitzers rolled in and began setting up in the field. That's 6 howitzers... Christopher thought to himself. Those manning howitzers already set up were adjusting the elevation. Satisfied, they stepped back. Trigger cords were pulled, and the first volley flew out. Fireballs rained down into parts of Musica just bordering the memorial park, now. A split second after the howitzers fired, the shots detonated in the middle of the air. A couple detonated right in the middle of the group. One of the dragons was caught right between the two, and let out a bleeding screech. The other two detonated above the swarm and rained shrapnel down. Then the dragons fired back. Most of the shots missed, but one hit the walkway around the back of one of the buildings and ignited a few troopers still lagging behind.The dragons kept going and then turned around to make another pass at the park. From the sound of it, the 2nd Battalion let of one of its own volleys. A swallowing yelp and a large, crashing thud. One of the creatures went down and sounded like it took a building with it. In the mean time the battery a few meters away readjusted their howitzers to fire into the dragons as they came around the left side. Another volley fired, and after a couple seconds the explosions rocked the swarm of dragons. Another two fell into the buildings. Another volley from an area to the northeast, probably the 3rd Battalion's battery, and another set of explosions in the air. Many of the shots missed, but one managed to take out another dragon.And then, the swarm fired fireball after fireball in that direction. The guns to the northeast fell silent, and now they banked and turned back toward the park. Howitzers ready... "Fire!" Case shots exploded in the air as the dragons simultaneously fired back. The Commander and a few other soldiers were thrown back by the explosion on the ground. Half the guns were knocked over, and the men weren't to be found until the smoke completely cleared. Burned bodies and pieces of bodies were spread over where artillerymen used to stand."Come on!" The Commander called out to a few soldiers standing back in the alley between buildings. They ran out to help get the guns back into position. A couple of artillerymen were still alive, their skinned roasted but still alive. A couple of soldiers tried to pick one of them up by their hands and feet, but when the two lifted, the hands ripped off. Screaming... Screaming... Christopher tried to ignore the screaming. A few dragons had broken off from the main group and were circling back to their position in the Southeast corner of the park. Christopher squinted, and for a second he thought he saw someone riding on top of each of the dragons. He ran back away from the battery and called everyone except a couple of men to stand with him against the wall of the nearest building. The three dragons swooped down, either to destroy the guns or to obliterate the soldiers up close or both..."Now!" The three ran back to the guns and at the last minute yanked the trigger cords on them. These guns were loaded with canister shot, and each blast was like a gigantic shotgun. One blast ripped through one of the dragon's wings, and the dragon tumbled through a building and into the boulevard on the other side. Another dragon, wounded, dropped off the man riding atop him, and he fell into a tree as his dragon flew away. The third... where did that third one go?The other groups of dragons sounded like they had silenced most of the guns on land. And then... howitzers firing... from the east? That didn't make sense... Christopher thought. To the east was the harbor... like a couple buildings down... He ran through an alleyway to see what was going on. Another ship was entering the harbor and... was firing howitzers off its main deck. Binoculars to his eyes, he could see more clearly. Was that... Commander Steven on the main deck, directing the guns? No... Christopher looked around and saw a loose howitzer left on the harbor-ringing roadway. A couple of artillerymen were setting it up. The Commander ran up to them and helped them adjust the range settings, and then the cord was pulled. They waited... and waited... and then they saw an explosion right above the small group of dragons heading to Steven's transport. A couple people were thrown off of their rides and fell into the water as the dragons dispersed. The other batteries came to life to the northeast and to the south and southeast, driving the dragons and their riders off, some of whom not quite making it.Once things began to calm down, Christopher began wandering around the local area of Musica to see what damage was made. The boulevard that 1st Battalion's tanks had previously been moving down was marked with fires yet to die out and smoldering people. He passed by a collapsed building, and as he did so, a blue dragon, with someone on its back, raised itself out of the rubble as best it could. Its right wing had been mostly ripped through by shrapnel, and its underside pocked. Its mouth began to gape open, and Christopher pulled his machete out of its sheath on his belt. And then gunfire rang out all around the Commander and the dragon. Troopers charged, firing their rifles into its underside. Troopers in the buildings shot down the man riding atop the dragon, and the whole thing flopped back into the rubble again. The dragon rolled forward and its limp head smacked into one of the troopers standing nearest to it. That trooper went flying into a nearby car."Oh gods... what is that smell?""I think that's the dragon, sir." Christopher sighed. Again, gut wrenching scream could be heard, somewhere in the distance. Christopher wiped the splurted dragon's blood off of his face and sat down on a nearby bench. Gods, this is going to be tough.Summary: Landing in Musica. With the howitzers already landed and set up in Musica, the Anticans downed several dragons and scared the rest off with increasing amounts of case shot. II Legion is now arriving and will be unloading momentarily. About 1/3 of I Legion is already unpacked and set up in Musica. Casualties from the Dragon encounter are as of yet unknown.

Sebastien Alexandre

Re: Oh gods... what is that smell?

Post by Sebastien Alexandre »

Ozarka winced, every pain his dragons felt he felt a small part of. 30 some dragons remained, the other 20 shot down by anticans.He became still. Come home, to Elwynn, my friends. Mourn your losses here, in allied lands. he thought to them.

Return to “S.N.A.R.L.”