Magic & GodModding.

The Shireroth/Natopia/Antica Recwar League
Fax Celestis

Re: Magic & GodModding.

Post by Fax Celestis »

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to do it on a case by case basis.I've set out (in stone, mind you) what my Hunters can do, and you've seen that. If I step outside those bounds, please, smack me and I'll edit.When it comes to the more enigmatic forms of magic out there, which do not have formalized "paths", but instead have a general gist (like Halluci's or Bill's units), I request a show of limitation as to their ability. Not necessarily to the degree the Hunters have, mind you, but a show of limitation nonetheless. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

extreme007

Post by extreme007 »

aye.. that's the reason for me asking this thing... if its not mentioned, then its god-modding.. but if its mentioned, and people on the opposite side feel its god-modding, then perhaps, they should mention it now...so, either we get the two sides to write a better way about how far the limitations are for their units, or get the two sides to clarify it before those abilities are put to use.. this way, we wont be stuck on a post when the war is taking place, to decide what it right and what is wrong.. i could make a decision on the spot, but it would obviously spoil the entire one side's strategy and thus, giving the other a huge advantage.. Discover, Invent, Theories, Experiment,Advance Science,Advance Extremism,(in Karnali, Republic of)

extreme007

Magic & GodModding.

Post by extreme007 »

For me any type of magic is god-modding... but, i will put that to rest when judging this war...now, as far as god-modding is concerned, i will accept anything magicy that you do, as long as you have mentioned the capability in the units thread. however, incase the other side thinks that a particular act is god-modding (even if the ability is already mentioned) then, do you want me to:1. accept its god-modding, and ask the culprit to make a better post without god-modding?2. accept that its NOT god-modding since the ability was already mentioned, and that since it was accepted at the start of the war, it should be accepted at the stage of war the question of god-modding was raised!if its the 2nd, then i need Bill to accept/refuse the abilities mentioned by the Elwynn forces, and i need ardashir to do the same with Yardistani forces. Discover, Invent, Theories, Experiment,Advance Science,Advance Extremism,(in Karnali, Republic of)

Harvey the Blue

Post by Harvey the Blue »

I've been idly watching this war take place because the content is amusing to me. (and because the rest of Shireroth is so dull it makes me cry) So I feel compelled to comment here for the sake of making this war generally more fun for everyone.Quote: For me any type of magic is god-moddingNo. That's a terrible attitude to take. It also makes no sense in terms of the context of the war.If you've got a gun, you can shoot at the enemy. If have a bow, you can fire an arrow. If you know magic, you can shoot a fireball.If the enemy is clustered together, you can fire your artillery cannon at them, or you cause some lightning to strike from the sky.You can drop bombs on the enemy from passing aircraft. Or you can drop meteors from the sky with a spell.If you're sneaking into enemy territory, you can use camoflage to blend into the surroundings, or you can magically alter your appearance.Enough examples. Magic does not equal total destruction. It does not equal instant death to the enemy. Thrown fireballs can miss like an arrow can. Lightning from the sky might impact the middle of an enemy formation, or it might miss entirely.Godmodding isn't how you attack the enemy with weapons, but how you state what you're doing. Saying "I lob fireballs at the enemy and destroy his entire formation" is clearly godmodding, but then again, so is "I shoot my artillery at the enemy and destroy his entire formation." But just saying "My mages spot the enemy from far away and shoot several fireballs in their direction" is not godmodding because both the attacker and the attackee get to decide what happens.Is magic a little more powerful? Maybe. If a mage is worth two artillery guns in firepower, then you only get half as many. Just like normal SNARL rules. Better trained small force = very large untrained force = normal standard force.I just really don't see how magic upsets the status-quo. As always, its up to the players to use their abilities responsibly. Harvey SteffkeSai'Kar's Memories LiveJournal - ranting about Shirerothian issues since fall 2004.

extreme007

Post by extreme007 »

Although I dont see the point of you bringing up such a thing, I will try and put forward my point..Bill's Unit: many of his men/other species thingis/ have the ability to heal their fellow mates by touch and spells. Now, he also mentions that it is very rare for a Paladin to fall in battle. Now, exactly how is a WWI era fighter, with a rifle or a sword going to kill a person who can heal himself and strike back at the soldier at the same time? i mean, here you are sitting behind a small wall, shooting your god-damn awfull rifle at the enemy who is running up to you from the trees. one shot, a hit. second shot miss. third shot hit.. wtf.. it was the same guy!. fourth shot, oh shit, the enemy is right next to you.. i am going to assume bill is aware of that, and will take appropriate measures that do not push his ability to remain alive.. i will say this bill (and anyone else reading) that if you are able to write it out in a fashion that deserves you to survive, then i will accept it.. even if you have over-used the magical element part of the attack a little.. good story, good chances... bad story, bad chances... bad story eg: i am attacking.. i hit the guy... he hit me, but i heal myself... BAD.now, since i picked on bill (ie yardistan), i will pick on ozarka (ie elwynn... and i love this guy. especially because of the Jaris war! )ozarka's units have the ability to use lightning, water and ground (earth) to their advantage... does that mean, that i allow him to use the water from the damn to flood over the area his enemy are on? like shirekeep to the bottom of brookshire? there has to be a range right? also, should his ground mages be allowed to raise earth/dirt so much that they create huge walls or hills or mtns??? Discover, Invent, Theories, Experiment,Advance Science,Advance Extremism,(in Karnali, Republic of)

Return to “S.N.A.R.L.”