A good point brought up by Harvey

The Shireroth/Natopia/Antica Recwar League
Osman Shahanshah

Re: A good point brought up by Harvey

Post by Osman Shahanshah »

Then set up a war where your little conceit of magic as a plot contrivance is accepted and stop whinging at those who think magic is a lazy cop out.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Quote:Then set up a war where your little conceit of magic as a plot contrivance is accepted and stop whinging at those who think magic is a lazy cop out.Perhaps they would if you'd stop being damn scared about it. Blindness Is A Blessing

Bill3000

A good point brought up by Harvey

Post by Bill3000 »

Quote:Bill's close to touching on the point that makes SNARL a failure, but he's being too self-centered to realize it. It's not that magic is limiting your creativity. It is that EVERYONE has a pretty different idea of what they want out of SNARL. You're mixing in people that want to think up brilliant military strategies with one-dimensional characters in the same boat is as the creative roleplayers who assume that the military matters will just work themselves out. Results? Military types totally destory the roleplayers in combat, but it's not that much fun to read since their posts are pretty boring, and generally everyone feels deprived of a good time.The last war brought some ofo these problems to burst as we had the example of Fax and extreme, two side sof the spectrum here. And there's the factor of me, for example - I want magic in warfare. And this is what we had - generally, the military sides had been winning the wars. If that is the case, then what's the point here? Shireroth is more roleplay-based in its warfare, and it's not far for people who are completely into the military matters and strategies (which, I would tell you, is not as important as the story itself here) to win every war.Something has to be done about this, because this seems to be a very serious problem that looms. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismPissing off Micras, one nation at a timeProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="Why do I need some cheese?";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock. - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Well, it's a matter of the fact that it's not a cop-out - you are seriously wrong on that end, at least in the terms that I think of magic. That was not even the point I was trying to make here, thank you very much - it was the point that people come here with different aims.Congrats on proving my point on why SNARL is doomed to be a failure. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismPissing off Micras, one nation at a timeProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="Why do I need some cheese?";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock. - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);Edited by: Bill3000 at: 9/12/05 10:48

Harvey the Blue

Post by Harvey the Blue »

Well since I've been dragged into it....I totally aplaud Extreme and his unit. He made himself an invincible highly-despited character. And guess what? He's the only unit I see being talked about really. He will be remembered and that's what storytelling is all about.I think the military-types that focus only on tactics produce some very boring dribble. I think the roleplayers that create tons of backstory for pretty uninteresting characters are boring too. Who cares if you can blow through an undefended city? Who cares if your wingman was a veteran in the last war and is out for revenge. I sure don't if you can't make it epic. I want to see heroes rise. I want to see infamous characters born. Love him or hate him, you made a hero out of Extreme's unit, and that makes him better than you.I only read about half of this war before giving up in digust. Too much "us vs them" bitterness. You guys need to get together with your enemies and plot out what you think would be FUN to have happen. Who cares if your unit is destroyed? Get campured, write about the conditions in your enemy's camp, and when a friend liberates you, take control of 100 of his men and go undercover. These 10,000 man equivlient units are limiting the options here, and that's a darn shame. Harvey SteffkeSai'Kar's Memories LiveJournal - ranting about Shirerothian issues since fall 2004.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Harvey, I'll drink to that. Blindness Is A Blessing

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

I'll swallow my pride and agree to that. There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

I won't. Wil Nider to the HyperboreansEoin to the restZirandorthel to the ages

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Although I try to ignore SNARL, from what I can gather, perhaps SNARL should begin allowing individual, small-scale wars to further iron out policy errors. It'll be a year before anyone has a decent recwar if you take as long as it has taken so far to get two wars done.Perhaps a board of judges to approve wars? Each war would require a judge or two to be agreed upon, although whether said judge would be on the board or not is up to the official policy makers.A general forum to hold smaller-scale wars would be nice too. Simply label posts for a war with a tag. [Veliken] [Jaris]. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Kaiser Los III

Post by Kaiser Los III »

Harvey, as usual, speaks truth.I am thinking of two possible solutions. One, we can have wars the same we we have, only we have two "theaters", one of which is limited to people interested in the military end, the other limited to people interested in the role-playing end. I don't like this one much both because I'm afraid it'd split too far along national lines leaving no one to fight against, and because SNARL really becomes interesting through the union of the two.The other is that we pre-script the war very clearly beforehand day-by day, something likeOctober 17: Babkhan troops invade JarisOctober 18: Shirerithians mobilize their forcesOctober 19: Shirerithians launch planes to bomb Philban, but they are shot down by the Babkhans.October 20: Shirerithian fleet arrives, defeats Babkhan shipsOctober 21: Shirerithians ferry troops, establish beachheadAnd so on. People's only responsibility is to bring a character through this war, in the same way you might write about a character in WWII. I don't like this much because it's too limiting, but it could be a starting point for a better idea. Edited by: Kaiser Los III at: 9/12/05 19:45

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

That's how the War of the Wylthaen Succession went, and look how that was: a roaring success in most opinions. Blindness Is A Blessing

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

We could try it... couldn't hurt. There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Return to “S.N.A.R.L.”