County of Elsenar: Form of Government

vasroe

County of Elsenar: Form of Government

Post by vasroe »

A county is less than a nation, but it can still be something great. I have planned the County of Elsenar to be a economically and culturally vibrant metropolitan area, for example. Now I would like to set forth a worthy government for it.

1. The Role of the Count

My role in Elsenar will be that of a watchful and sometimes influential nobleman, but not of a power-mad nobleman. Nor will I be an absentee nobleman who is concerned more with foreign courts, holidaying, hunting trips, fine wine and dining, and the daughters of Barons and Dukes than with his own people. (It should be at least 49% concerned with the daughters of Barons and Dukes and 51% concerned with his own people.) While as Count I can rescind any of what I set forth, whenever I want to, and the Baron or Duke can supersede anything I or the following County government entities do or decide, to the extent that I desire, and am allowed, the following provisions shall apply to the County of Elsenar:

2. The County Assembly

In order to give the people a voice, I will be creating an Assembly of Elsenar composed of all residents of Elsenar. Any resident of Elsenar may debate in the Assembly, and any resident of Elsenar who is also a citizen of Shireroth may vote in it. The Assembly shall elect a parliamentary president to decide and enforce the rules of decorum; this parliamentary president may not also be the County Council Chairman. The Assembly will allow citizen residents to vote and debate via electronic mechanism, as Elsenar is a metropolis of the digital age. The County Assembly shall nominate and elect 5 persons to a County Council at least once per year, and take action to fill any vacancies which might occur. The County Assembly may veto any decision of the County Council.

3. The County Council

The County Council shall by much like a city council except that its ordinances may be called laws and that the Count is its president ex officio and may veto any decision it has. In practice the County Council will elect a Chairman who will preside over meetings. The County Council will hire a County Manager and Commissioners of Police, Fire, Health, Education, and for other areas, as well as judges and other offices.

4. Free Cities and Independent Townships

Free cities and townships that are independent will be subject to any special rights, privileges, and exemptions ascribed or given to them by this County, the Barony to which it belongs, or the Duchy to which it belongs. In addition to these, free cities and independent townships will not be subject to decisions of the County Council or the County Assembly.

Be these things promulgated and effective immediately.

AryezturMejorkhor

Re: County of Elsenar: Form of Government

Post by AryezturMejorkhor »

Vasroe, you should change your color to yellow from white.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

vasroe

Post by vasroe »

I assume it will change when the MinInfo changes it.

AryezturMejorkhor

Post by AryezturMejorkhor »

This is fine. The Duke and Baron generally don't interfere, so we look forward to seeing this new system in action, as well as whatever culture you may develop. Thankfully, the final decision is in your hands and not that of any popular assembly. If things get too boisterous and populist though, interference could occur. We'll use a euphemism and just say that "another Tiananmen may occur."
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Return to “County of Elsenar”