Tax Bill

Kaiser Ayreon

Tax Bill

Post by Kaiser Ayreon »

What is your opinion on flat tax vs proportional tax?

For more information, click here!

Ari Rahikkala

Re: Tax Bill

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Straylight's the only duchy that might have problems staying afloat (heh heh) with a flat tax in the foreseeable future... and it doesn't sound like a problem to me, I've got two significant ministers in here after all. I don't want to seem poor by paying less taxes than the other guys :p
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Your Niftiness--

I happen to feel that Baron Andreas has made a good point about taxation:

"My Kaiser, I think you and I have very different interpretations of 'Fair'.

The entire point of this money system is to horde up wealth. To make your Duchal vote powerful. People work so hard on businesses because they want to accumulate erb, and know they have to work hard to make others bear to part with theirs. Taxing proportionally entirely defeats the purpose. It means that the hard working Duchy loses significantly, and the Duchy who don't care about erb and spent most of their money without earning anything doesn't lose a cent. A proportional tax is, in my mind, entirely unfair - and a flat tax (whether on Duchy or per head) is the only fair way to do this."

The only thing I think I might add is a sliding scale for those duchies which have below a certain number of erb. In many taxation systems, those whose income or r exempt from taxation or taxed at a lower rate from those who are richer. It is something you might consider adding to the taxation system.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

A percentage tax maintains, proportionally, the balance of power in the Landsraad and can generate more revenue. I don't care about fair. In the end, with either, power levels are maintained. But with a flat tax we are more likely to bankrupt a duchy.

Kaiser Ayreon

Post by Kaiser Ayreon »

OK... Let's do it this way. Wearefour people here including the Steward and excluding me.

We'll have our own vote. Do you want me to veto the Bill. Yes or no?

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Abstain. I have no solid opinion on the mater for various reasons.

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

My main concern is what seem like confiscatory taxes. There is no provision for flexibility. If I were voting or if I had power to contol things, I might do what I pleased, but in this case the taxation system is established without variablility. OI would either amend it or veto it, if I were a voting duke.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

No, I do not want the bill vetoed - flat tax for all.

Return to “Imperial Advisory Council - Declassification of Christmas 2009”