Economy

Andreas the Wise

Economy

Post by Andreas the Wise »

No one's kicked me out yet, so I assume I'm still allowed in here.

Our economy is rather stagnant and has been so for at least a month. SCIRA is proving no where near as popular as envisaged - 'constant' war doesn't fit Shireroth, and purchasing troops for war from people doesn't fit any system too well (that was a Hesam idea). Purchasing troops for civil wars could work in Shireroth but apart from me few people have shown much interest in that. As predicted, removing votes from any tie to our economy has thrown up problems.

So my suggestion is three-fold.
1. Disband SCIRA entirely. Possibly refund people from Imperial funds, but I'm not too concerned either way. Let war happen as war and people raise armies when they need to.
2. Stop doing taxes/bounties. Both don't seem to have any success in encouraging spending and the need to move money around from inactives to developers lowers in importance now we no longer have any power tied to the economy.
3. Join with the rest of the sector.

I'm not suggesting we abandon the economy entirely, but I am suggesting we change the focus from what it started (political) to an 'economy' in the traditional sense, quite separate from the government; with the freedom for people to start businesses unrestricted, to sell and buy whatever goods and services people want, and no regular taxes. Keep professions, as they seem to work and are just people selling services; and keep the potential for one-off taxes, but no longer do it regularly or place restrictions on the economy. If the economy ceases to be an extension of politics and becomes 'just an economy', that means that it stagnating at times isn't a problem. There's also the bonus that 'scrapping' existing things and 'starting again' often rejuvenates interest in an economy for a month or two. Everyone would retain their current Erb balances.
Finally, talk seriously via the Small Commonwealth with Gralus to have our currencies combined, such that 1 :erb = 1 GELT or whatever we name the Gralan currency, and have it all one the one bank. Nelaga will probably join too. Back a year ago when combining stuff was last proposed, our economies were all quite different (war based, vote based etc) and combining them was impossible. Now that Gralus is going for a free economy that's just an economy, and we're basically at that stage again, having an overall sector economy is much more realistic. Shirithians sell services that Gralans will want to buy. And Gralans will sell interesting scenarios that Shirithians will enjoy, I'm sure. And other nations can be added easily enough with specific rules for currency starting up. We've tried economies based on things like votes and wars. They do indeed encourage earning and spending on that, but not on much else, and engender opposition from those who don't like economies. Now we've got the chance to try an economy with 40 people in it buying and selling things people want, and no consequences if it stagnates. I say we go for it and see if that's any better ...

Summary:
Disband SCIRA, possibly refund, up to you. (Prodigy owes us about 16000 in funds if he no longer has to buy stuff for MoMA)
Stop regular taxes/bounties. Allow the potential for once off taxes when the Crown decides to spend funds, but nothing regular.
Remove any current restrictions on starting a business, foreign ownership of erb etc; but leave in Professions.
Join our currency with that of Gralus (if they agree) and start a big full sector economy, with other nations welcome to join.

EDIT: Though if a renewed interest is shown in SCIRA by Brookshire and Elwynn, we can leave that in and still do all the other suggestions.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Andreas the Wise

Re: Economy

Apparently nobody checks here anymore ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I'm not sure I can advise the current Kaiser, as it isn't Agni I. :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Andreas the Wise

Were you fired? I wasn't, so I figured I'm still allowed here ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I'll be redoing the IAC once I'm Kaiser...
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Will I be removed? :)

But honestly, I have no faith in micronational economies. I support it as Kaiser and before to help encourage people's projects and activity, but I don't think it will ever work... not unless we merge 5+ nations economies together so we have enough people, and get things worth buying and selling.

Andreas the Wise

So you're in favour of uniting the currency with Gralus and Nelaga?
Q - Director of SAMIN

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Andreas the Wise wrote:So you're in favour of uniting the currency with Gralus and Nelaga?
I am. Nelaga doesn't even have a currency.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I'm for uniting with as many nations as possible. it is the ONLY way to make an economy work at all.

Andreas the Wise

Excellent. I'll propose this publicly as soon as I can actually get the Gralan economy approved. Will make adding us to the bank dead easy - you just need a Gralus and a Nelaga option for residency, not just by Duchy ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Hi, I'm back.

As far as taxes go-

Modest import duties?

A V.A.T. wouldn't work, but a sales tax of some sort?

Kaiseress Anandja I

Post by Kaiseress Anandja I »

I preliminary like this. Let's see where it goes.
Love and Happiness,

Kaiseress Anandja I
Marchioness of Goldshire
Baroness of Lakhesis

Return to “Imperial Advisory Council - Declassification of Christmas 2009”